World Cup 2022 Qatar Thread

I think if the US don't score more goals than Iran, they won't win.
True.

The point I was making was that Iran just needs a tie. If they draw, they advance. Its much easier to play defense than to have to score. Scoring early in soccer, in this case, is very important because, unlike American football, there are no time outs, you can't make substitutions and retain players for use later on, and fatigue becomes a factor. If you score early, you force Iran to have to put the ball in play in the midfield, take some chances, etc.. The more chances they take, the more errors they are likely to make. This is the one club in the group where the US may have a speed advantage--especially in the midfield.

True.

The point I was making was that Iran just needs a tie. If they draw, they advance. Its much easier to play defense than to have to score. Scoring early in soccer, in this case, is very important because, unlike American football, there are no time outs, you can't make substitutions and retain players for use later on, and fatigue becomes a factor. If you score early, you force Iran to have to put the ball in play in the midfield, take some chances, etc.. The more chances they take, the more errors they are likely to make. This is the one club in the group where the US may have a speed advantage--especially in the midfield.

No, If Wales beat England, and Iran draw, they go out.
Iran have -2 goal different, England +4, so England can lose and still finish ahead of Iran drawing. Wales also have -2, they win, then they qualify as they'll have a -1 or better goal difference.

No, If Wales beat England, and Iran draw, they go out.
Iran have -2 goal different, England +4, so England can lose and still finish ahead of Iran drawing. Wales also have -2, they win, then they qualify as they'll have a -1 or better goal difference.
Oh wow....So for Iran...it's win or go home too or hope Wales and England draw?

giphy.gif

Every time there is a world cup the tiny number of Americans who give a crap about soccer come out of the woodwork and try - yet again - to insist it be taken as a major sport in the US. It is not and will never be.

Anyone who loves Soccer has loved the World Cup thus far. Aside from the politics and clear corruption that it was awarded to Qatar in the first place, the matches have been exciting and it's good to see the US advance.

So FIFA is, of course, going to change things for 2026 apparently:
FIFA is considering introducing penalty shootouts to decide whether teams should get a bonus point if group-stage games are drawn at the expanded World Cup in 2026.
The next men’s tournament in the United States, Canada and Mexico will include 48 teams rather than 32 and is expected to have 16 groups of three teams rather than the eight groups of four we have seen in Qatar.
Advertisement
The top two from each group will progress to a round-of-32 knockout stage — an extra knockout round from the current format.
The FIFA council previously voted unanimously for three-team groups but the possibility of groups with four teams is increasingly returning to conversations behind-the-scenes.
It would mean more games and a potentially straight-forward group stage in which the two higher-ranked teams qualify for the knockout rounds with relative ease. The risk of any collusion, however, would be reduced.
If FIFA go with three-team groups, introducing penalty shootouts — to determine which team could claim a bonus point in the event of a drawn game after 90 minutes in the group stage — are one option to settle which team progresses.
These shootouts could take place before kick-off or at full-time.
If the penalty shootout took place after the game, however, there is an increased risk of manipulation — for example if a particular result benefitted both the teams playing and eliminated the third country in the group.
Since 1986, FIFA has scheduled the final round of group-stage matches at World Cups at the same time to reduce the chances of this happening, and UEFA has followed suit at European Championships.
The change was introduced after the “Disgrace of Gijon” in 1982, when a 1-0 win for West Germany against Austria sent both teams through at the expense of Algeria, who had beaten Chile before the West Germany against Austria match kicked off.
I get expanding the number of teams from 32 to 48. Usually I'm against expansion in tournaments but, in this case, I think it is justified because these are national teams and interest would certainly be there--hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people live in nations that don't have a team playing in the World Cup. Expanding the NCAA Basketball, on the other hand, is done to simply increase the payday.. I would prefer they do qualifying sort of like the Bobsled folks do with 2 different "teams" from the same nation in some cases. Its rumored that Brazil could have two world class teams with it's current roster.

Forum List

Back