Why has political polarization become a problem in the US?

Teddy Pollins

Feb 26, 2015
As I am concerned I will tell you...
The biggest reasons I hear for the increase in political polarization, and the resulting gridlock in politics, is either gerrymandering or "the other side is just extra crazy" The truth is gerrymandering has basically existed forever on both sides, and the other argument is just group think. Anyone have any data on why the political process has become more polarized in the past 20 some years?
What will you say to this?

Do you want to know the truth? it may be dangerous.The political polarization is coming to a head because the right sees our economy coming to a horrible end. The left just wants to spend whatever they can print and or steal.

The biggest reasons I hear for the increase in political polarization, and the resulting gridlock in politics, is either gerrymandering or "the other side is just extra crazy" The truth is gerrymandering has basically existed forever on both sides, and the other argument is just group think. Anyone have any data on why the political process has become more polarized in the past 20 some years?
Because the U.S. has been, and always will be, that CRAZY motherfucker you better not fuck with.

:rofl:

I think it is because we have entered an information age where we have so many media options available to us that the market creates media options tailored to what certain segments of the population wants to hear. Want an extreme liberal spin on your news? Watch MSNBC. Want a conservative spin? Watch Fox. Its not just TV it's radio and internet media as well. There used to be a time when media options were limited and the population all listened to roughly the same thing. But now, one can customize their news to support their political beliefs. Therefore, they never have to be bothered with the other side of the story. They can craft a listening/watching schedule that reinforces their pre-conceived notions. In doing so, their biases become more and more firmly entrenched and their tolerance for alternate points of view diminishes. With that comes increased hostility and the vitriol we see splashed across these message boards on a daily basis.

Because the U.S. has been, and always will be, that CRAZY motherfucker you better not fuck with.

:rofl:
No, it's not an explanation.

Political life is polarized but the level of political discussion had fallen down as the result of organizing lots of liberal media where politicians started giving interviews 24/7 and this circus had started. Yes, I believe it's nothing more than circus. And the real power they haven't.

its based on the fact that one side wants government involvement in just about every facet of life, cradle to grave, and the other side want's nothing to do with that. The problem is government involvement can't be limited to just those who desire it, so progressives go for a blanket approach, making more and more trivial decisions made at higher and higher levels of government.

its based on the fact that one side wants government involvement in just about every facet of life, cradle to grave, and the other side want's nothing to do with that. The problem is government involvement can't be limited to just those who desire it, so progressives go for a blanket approach, making more and more trivial decisions made at higher and higher levels of government.

We have 3 guys running for President on the GOP side that want the Government to have to bless your marriage.

There is nothing more intrusive than that.

We have 3 guys running for President on the GOP side that want the Government to have to bless your marriage.

There is nothing more intrusive than that.

nah, having a commission fine a baker for not selling a cake $150 is pretty damn intrusive.

I think it is because we have entered an information age where we have so many media options available to us that the market creates media options tailored to what certain segments of the population wants to hear. Want an extreme liberal spin on your news? Watch MSNBC. Want a conservative spin? Watch Fox. Its not just TV it's radio and internet media as well. There used to be a time when media options were limited and the population all listened to roughly the same thing. But now, one can customize their news to support their political beliefs. Therefore, they never have to be bothered with the other side of the story. They can craft a listening/watching schedule that reinforces their pre-conceived notions. In doing so, their biases become more and more firmly entrenched and their tolerance for alternate points of view diminishes. With that comes increased hostility and the vitriol we see splashed across these message boards on a daily basis.

BINGO!
And then there's the gullible people who soak on the hyper-biased shit up and there are many, many of them. Just check out the thread titles! :cuckoo:
Then we have our hyper-partisan politicians. It didn't use to be this way. I remember when politicians used to get in fierce debates and then have dinner together afterwards. Now that basically doesn't exist. It seems that the divide in Washington has expanded and now includes personal disgust/hate between both sides. That is childish to say the least.
To me Benghazi is the ultimate example of how things have changed. From Reagan through G W Bush, our presidents have all had their Benghazis and some had many more American deaths than Benghazi, but there were no 2 year long witch hunts like there is with Benghazi. And it appears that Benghazi is going to stretch out through to at least 2016. That'll make four years of Benghazi witch hunts
What's behind all of this? Hyper-partisanship, led by dozens upon dozens of hyper-partisan talking heads with thousands upon thousands gullible readers/listeners. Of course this supersedes any common sense and reality, but does lead to a do- nothing Washington.
There's the old saying "untied we stand, divided we fall". ever notice that the United States has been on a downwards trajectory since all this hyper-partisanship started? United, this country moved forward and became the world's power, we are now divided and the rest of the world is catching and passing us.

BINGO!
And then there's the gullible people who soak on the hyper-biased shit up and there are many, many of them. Just check out the thread titles! :cuckoo:
Then we have our hyper-partisan politicians. It didn't use to be this way. I remember when politicians used to get in fierce debates and then have dinner together afterwards. Now that basically doesn't exist. It seems that the divide in Washington has expanded and now includes personal disgust/hate between both sides. That is childish to say the least.
To me Benghazi is the ultimate example of how things have changed. From Reagan through G W Bush, our presidents have all had their Benghazis and some had many more American deaths than Benghazi, but there were no 2 year long witch hunts like there is with Benghazi. And it appears that Benghazi is going to stretch out through to at least 2016. That'll make four years of Benghazi witch hunts
What's behind all of this? Hyper-partisanship, led by dozens upon dozens of hyper-partisan talking heads with thousands upon thousands gullible readers/listeners. Of course this supersedes any common sense and reality, but does lead to a do- nothing Washington.
There's the old saying "untied we stand, divided we fall". ever notice that the United States has been on a downwards trajectory since all this hyper-partisanship started? United, this country moved forward and became the world's power, we are now divided and the rest of the world is catching and passing us.

I guess the main thing I would say in response to this is to take an honest look at the human species and United States culture in particular. The truth is we love this shit. We love to be outraged. There is nothing the average American loves more than a good juicy scandal that allows them to pass judgment and state their position on the matter. It makes us feel better about ourselves because it provides a basis for comparison and it provides someone to blame for the state of society.

Bruce Jenner is getting a sex change? Lovely! Now we can bitch about homosexual issues and why the Democrats/Republicans are destroying the nation.

Sandra Bullock's husband cheated on her? Wonderful! Now we can bitch about sexual immorality and why the Democrats/Republicans are destroying the nation.

Hillary Clinton is hiding emails? Perfect! Now we can bitch about political corruption and why the Democrats/Republicans are destroying the nation.

A cop shot an unarmed black man? Awesome! Now we can bitch about racism and why the Democrats/Republicans are destroying the nation.

All of these things, and all other scandals, provide us the opportunity to define ourselves as individuals and a society. The information age has created new platforms, such as USMB, for people to grind their ax. When there is not a scandal, people get bored now. Society sits around tapping its fingers waiting for the next thing that they can be outraged about and when it happens they are elated because they now have something to be outraged about.

So the political divide we see today is also because, we as a society choose it. In fact we thrive on it. We love every single minute of it.

BINGO!

I guess the main thing I would say in response to this is to take an honest look at the human species and United States culture in particular. The truth is we love this shit. We love to be outraged. There is nothing the average American loves more than a good juicy scandal that allows them to pass judgment and state their position on the matter. It makes us feel better about ourselves because it provides a basis for comparison and it provides someone to blame for the state of society.

Bruce Jenner is getting a sex change? Lovely! Now we can bitch about homosexual issues and why the Democrats/Republicans are destroying the nation.

Sandra Bullock's husband cheated on her? Wonderful! Now we can bitch about sexual immorality and why the Democrats/Republicans are destroying the nation.

Hillary Clinton is hiding emails? Perfect! Now we can bitch about political corruption and why the Democrats/Republicans are destroying the nation.

A cop shot an unarmed black man? Awesome! Now we can bitch about racism and why the Democrats/Republicans are destroying the nation.

All of these things, and all other scandals, provide us the opportunity to define ourselves as individuals and a society. The information age has created new platforms, such as USMB, for people to grind their ax. When there is not a scandal, people get bored now. Society sits around tapping its fingers waiting for the next thing that they can be outraged about and when it happens they are elated because they now have something to be outraged about.

So the political divide we see today is also because, we as a society choose it. In fact we thrive on it. We love every single minute of it.

"So the political divide we see today is also because, we as a society choose it. In fact we thrive on it. We love every single minute of it"-BluePhantom

Wrong. Every poll I have seen from various polling resources over the last 4-5 years clearly shows that a huge majority of Americans want compromise in Washington. That indicates that a majority of of Americans don't want the divide, they see the divide as counter-productive .

Another key point is America's disgust with Congress that verifies America's disgust with hyper-partisanship. What's Congresses approval/disapproval rating? According to Real Clear Politics RCP average, approval 17.5, disapproval 72.2.

The people who "love every single minute of it" are the hyper-partisans and that's just about it, every poll clearly indicates that fact.

BINGO!

"So the political divide we see today is also because, we as a society choose it. In fact we thrive on it. We love every single minute of it"-BluePhantom

Wrong. Every poll I have seen from various polling resources over the last 4-5 years clearly shows that a huge majority of Americans want compromise in Washington. That indicates that a majority of of Americans don't want the divide, they see the divide as counter-productive .

Another key point is America's disgust with Congress that verifies America's disgust with hyper-partisanship. What's Congresses approval/disapproval rating? According to Real Clear Politics RCP average, approval 17.5, disapproval 72.2.

The people who "love every single minute of it" are the hyper-partisans and that's just about it, every poll clearly indicates that fact.

I would disagree. Polls also say that people don't like mudslinging in elections but politicians do it for a very simple reason....it works. Take the Democratic nomination process in 2008. At one debate Obama said that Republicans had some ideas that should be listened to. His polls took a major hit and so at the next debate he said "I said Republicans had ideas. I didn't say they were good ones" and his numbers rebounded. Yes, people want government to work, but they want it to work according to their interpretation of how government should work.

One group think?

Republicans are 90% white and pretty much the same who will see the country die if they don't get their way. And many times, they don't even know what their way is.

Democrats are a coalition party made up of everyone else who are able to work together. Hardly "group think".

One group think?

Republicans are 90% white and pretty much the same who will see the country die if they don't get their way. And many times, they don't even know what their way is.

Democrats are a coalition party made up of everyone else who are able to work together. Hardly "group think".

rdean....you commenting on the problems of political polarization is a lot like Michael Jackson and Jerry Sandusky criticizing the North American Man-Boy Love Association.

Here's a radical thought.........political polarization is not a problem. It is just a normal stage of evolving towards corporate fascism........and we are almost there. The deception is, is that people think we are still a Democracy with a 2-party system!

Forum List

Back