Why has political polarization become a problem in the US?

I have no qualms about being a right wing extremist. I'm delighted when bed wetting liberals hate me. The more they hate a candidate, the more I like that candidate.

I will say the country has been A LOT more polarized in the past, there were wars between us.

When I was younger it seemed like it wasn't as intense as it is now. We had presidents then who were better leaders IMO. Bush wasn't real good at inspiring people to be cooperative, and the moonbat messiah is deliberately trying to create divisiveness. Even Clinton had dignity and didn't give me a sense that he hated the opposition. Both Bush's gave the opposition "compromise", and then never got credit where any was due.

That's why I keep repeating this:

You NEVER compromise with WRONG, or you're never better than half right. The regressives are almost always wrong, and what little they're right about isn't based on a motivation to enhance anyone else's standard of living or increase their freedom in spite of their bullshit spin. Furthermore you don't compromise with people who immediately run back after the paper is signed and demand everything they left on the table "for the children".

It's the equivalence of begging a mugger to let you keep your credit cards instead of pulling out your .45 and making them beg you to let them run away.

Which of course you don't. You turn them in so that they go to jail and can't victimize anyone else.

There is also nothing wrong with people being polarized. We should have passion about what we believe in and work to get policy established that reflects our principles.

As I am concerned I will tell you...
The biggest reasons I hear for the increase in political polarization, and the resulting gridlock in politics, is either gerrymandering or "the other side is just extra crazy" The truth is gerrymandering has basically existed forever on both sides, and the other argument is just group think. Anyone have any data on why the political process has become more polarized in the past 20 some years?
What will you say to this?
One group think?

Republicans are 90% white and pretty much the same who will see the country die if they don't get their way. And many times, they don't even know what their way is.

Democrats are a coalition party made up of everyone else who are able to work together. Hardly "group think".

rdean....you commenting on the problems of political polarization is a lot like Michael Jackson and Jerry Sandusky criticizing the North American Man-Boy Love Association.
The Democratic Party is a coalition, yet Republicans constantly scream Democrats are lemmings who follow the party line. So who writes the party line? Obviously no one person. Because the party is a coalition.

The Republican Party is 90% white. And because they are all so much alike, it's the reason they can be led as a group. They are NOT a coalition.

Instead of pointing out the inherent problems with the witless and uneducated GOP, Moronic Republican cry, why don't you point out the problems with the Democrats?

Republicans had studies made by outside firms who pointed out he GOP problems. Lack of ideas, an old party, no diversity. And look at these idiots crying "Why are you attacking us?" The reason is because of a lack of ideas, an old party and no diversity.

Democrats don't have to make up lies about the GOP. Their OWN study told them the problems. All Republicans need to do is follow their own study.

The Democratic party has become obsolete, that's why most of their narrative is from 1970's. You have to remember they had a lock on congress for 40 years so they remain freaked out the GOP has taken control. In their desperation to regain power they lie and foment this division, racial division, gender division, economic division. While that's doing a lot of damage to the country its not working. They needed a new plan, which is to import millions of poor, uneducated illegals, grant them amnesty, bribe them for their votes with taxpayer hand outs and welfare to cancel out millions of Republican party votes.

The biggest reasons I hear for the increase in political polarization, and the resulting gridlock in politics, is either gerrymandering or "the other side is just extra crazy" The truth is gerrymandering has basically existed forever on both sides, and the other argument is just group think. Anyone have any data on why the political process has become more polarized in the past 20 some years?
One group think?

Republicans are 90% white and pretty much the same who will see the country die if they don't get their way. And many times, they don't even know what their way is.

Democrats are a coalition party made up of everyone else who are able to work together. Hardly "group think".

rdean....you commenting on the problems of political polarization is a lot like Michael Jackson and Jerry Sandusky criticizing the North American Man-Boy Love Association.
The Democratic Party is a coalition, yet Republicans constantly scream Democrats are lemmings who follow the party line. So who writes the party line? Obviously no one person. Because the party is a coalition.

The Republican Party is 90% white. And because they are all so much alike, it's the reason they can be led as a group. They are NOT a coalition.

Instead of pointing out the inherent problems with the witless and uneducated GOP, Moronic Republican cry, why don't you point out the problems with the Democrats?

Republicans had studies made by outside firms who pointed out he GOP problems. Lack of ideas, an old party, no diversity. And look at these idiots crying "Why are you attacking us?" The reason is because of a lack of ideas, an old party and no diversity.

Democrats don't have to make up lies about the GOP. Their OWN study told them the problems. All Republicans need to do is follow their own study.

Uh huh. rDean it's unheard of for me to thank a post of yours but I am going to. Not because you said anything of any value or provided any insight that is worthy of note. It is because you ironically and unwittingly offered yourself as a perfect example of the very thing this thread is discussing and exactly what I said in post #6. Thank you..........for proving my point.

The Democratic party has become obsolete, that's why most of their narrative is from 1970's. You have to remember they had a lock on congress for 40 years so they remain freaked out the GOP has taken control. In their desperation to regain power they lie and foment this division, racial division, gender division, economic division. While that's doing a lot of damage to the country its not working. They needed a new plan, which is to import millions of poor, uneducated illegals, grant them amnesty, bribe them for their votes with taxpayer hand outs and welfare to cancel out millions of Republican party votes.
Smaller govt. has been the motto of the GOP for 200 years, yet look at us now.....

There's political polarization on both sides, though not to the same degree. In both politicians and in those supporting them the right is significantly more polarized than the left.

If I were to guess as to why we're in an era of polarization, I'd say its the focus on ideology over good governance. We have people making decisions based not on what is best for the country, but what is most consistent with their ideological beliefs. Ideologues tend to be both uncompromising and somewhat extreme. And too often they are the one's leading the debate.

What is empowering the ideologues? I'd say four things. Truthiness, politics as entertainment, the internet, and the wealthy pushing their views through massive funding of ideologue candidates.

Many folks are abdicating reason and critical thinking for what feels true. They don't much care if it actually is. Thus, you can convince some folks more readily with a bullshit story that they can identify with than a real story that doesn't sync up to their views. There is an encouragement of this mentality. As a person who had abdicated reason is much easier to control and exploit.

Politics as entertainment isn't new. But the degree of its cultural penetration is. We have various talking heads that offer belligerent commentary that's gobbled up by people that want to hear what they already believe. It makes for excellent ratings and boat loads of money. It also helps insulate people from views that are not their own. This leads to greater polarization.

The internet is also a major influence. Social mores and immediate consequence is a powerfully moderating influence for face to face conversations about politics. People tend not to dedicate much energy to the issue in the past because of this mitigation. But the internet lets you go apeshit anonymously. You can say shit here that you'd never say in person. And find people that will support almost any perspective imaginable, no matter how inane or utterly batshit. All of which helps foster polarization.

Finally, the wealthy are taking a much more direct hand in electing those who support their views. Some of the wealthy are ideologically motivated. Others financially motivated and using ideologues as a way of herding the gullible toward policy that benefits the business interests of the wealthy. Regardless of motivation, there's more money in politics than ever before, with the mitigating influence of establishment politics breaking down. And more extreme views find lavish funding.

With the most effective method of combating this polarization being to help folks recognize that they're being manipulated as part of someone else's business plan. The political equivalent of ol' Buddha's practice of mindfulness.

Last edited:
Smaller govt. has been the motto of the GOP for 200 years, yet look at us now.....

And you wonder hey you have been stuck in the fourth grade for 20 years..

There's political polarization on both sides, though not to the same degree. In both politicians and in those supporting them the right is significantly more polarized than the left.

If I were to guess as to why we're in an era of polarization, I'd say its the focus on ideology over good governance. We have people making decisions based not on what is best for the country, but what is most consistent with their ideological beliefs. Ideologues tend to be both uncompromising and somewhat extreme. And too often they are the one's leading the debate.

What is empowering the ideologues? I'd say four things. Truthiness, politics as entertainment, the internet, and the wealthy pushing their views through massive funding of ideologue candidates.

Many folks are abdicating reason and critical thinking for what feels true. They don't much care if it actually is. Thus, you can convince some folks more readily with a bullshit story that they can identify with than a real story that doesn't sync up to their views. There is an encouragement of this mentality. As a person who had abdicated reason is much easier to control and exploit.

Politics as entertainment isn't new. But the degree of its cultural penetration is. We have various talking heads that offer belligerent commentary that's gobbled up by people that want to hear what they already believe. It makes for excellent ratings and boat loads of money. It also helps insulate people from views that are not their own. This leads to greater polarization.

The internet is also a major influence. Social mores and immediate consequence is a powerfully moderating influence for face to face conversations about politics. People tend not to dedicate much energy to the issue in the past because of this mitigation. But the internet lets you go apeshit anonymously. You can say shit here that you'd never say in person. And find people that will support almost any perceptive imaginable, no matter how inane or utterly batshit. All of which helps foster polarization.

Finally, the wealthy are taking a much more direct hand in electing those who support their views. Some of the wealthy are ideologically motivated. Others financially motivated and using ideologues as a way of herding the gullible toward policy that benefits the business interests of the wealthy. Regardless of motivation, there's more money in politics than ever before, with the mitigating influence of establishment politics breaking down. And more extreme views find lavish funding.

With the most effective method of combating this polarization being to help folks recognize that they're being manipulated as part of someone else's business plan. The political equivalent of ol' Buddha's practice of mindfulness.

For the most part I agree, except that the right is more polarized than the left. My experience has shown me that both sides are about equal. On what do you base your assertion?

The internet is also a major influence. Social mores and immediate consequence is a powerfully moderating influence for face to face conversations about politics. People tend not to dedicate much energy to the issue in the past because of this mitigation. But the internet lets you go apeshit anonymously. You can say shit here that you'd never say in person. And find people that will support almost any perceptive imaginable, no matter how inane or utterly batshit. All of which helps foster polarization.

More proof why the far left is the most dangerous religion on the planet..

For the most part I agree, except that the right is more polarized than the left. My experience has shown me that both sides are about equal. On what do you base your assertion?

They are a far left drone running the far left programming!

I hear you. But the polling doesn't match it. Conservatives tend to be more conservative than liberals are liberal. And in terms of voting records, republcians tend to be more polarized in both the house and senate than the democrats. Republican presidents are similarly more conservative than democratic presidents are liberal. I can show you the polls and the voting record studies if you'd like. Its interesting reading.

They are a far left drone running the far left programming!

I said in post #6 essentially the same thing he just said and I am a Republican. I might split hairs with him/her on the role of the wealthy although there is no denying that money influences politics and wins elections. But I agree with the post as a whole. I would add that the information age has also increased intellectual laziness. Take any topic and a simple Google search will offer plenty of supporting data for any side of the debate one happens to be on. Thus, one can freely pick and choose their data in order to support their position and ignore the rest. This creates a mindset of comfort and overconfidence in the personal view of the individual. That mindset is reinforced by targeted and selective news reporting. This happens on both sides of the aisle. Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity don't tell it straight and neither does Rachel Maddow or Chris Matthews. The result is that people become lazy and simply accept what they are told to believe instead of developing their own views and having the balls to champion them even if their views conflict with their chosen political party. rDean is a perfect example of this. He/she...I think its a she...doesn't think. She simply parrots whatever the liberal media tells her to. She is a dream come true for any political party because she thinks how she is told to think by the institution. What politician wouldn't love that?

I hear you. But the polling doesn't match it. Conservatives tend to be more conservative than liberals are liberal. And in terms of voting records, republcians tend to be more polarized in both the house and senate than the democrats. Republican presidents are similarly more conservative than democratic presidents are liberal. I can show you the polls and the voting record studies if you'd like. Its interesting reading.

I am sure it is quite interesting but I will pass. My views may have something to do with me living in ultra-liberal Portland, OR so what I see on a daily basis regarding polarization, political tenacity, and intolerance for alternate points of view are obviously going to be influenced by that environment.

When has polarization not been a problem? Life is tough...and then you die, yo.

Forum List

Back