Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

solar, wind,)
these two unreliable.

Hydro and nuclear I'm in. Let's get them moving. Shit, even natural gas is cleaner. The grid still isn't big enough. nor will it ever be for what they are proposing. never will be. it's a wet dream.
Solar and Wind work fine, if they're deployed in the right geographic locations (e.g. we have a large solar plant here (in the desert) that is remarkably reliable and productive). As far as grid capacity, the market will provide as long as the commercial incentives are there, and the heavy hand of government doesn't get in its way.

Solar and Wind work fine, if they're deployed in the right geographic locations
nope, sorry, unreliable, sun only available 12 hours out of 24 and wind speeds fluctuate hourly. The mere fact that anyone thinks either is grid ready is hilarious.

There is plenty of renewable energy and many prospects for enormous improvements in harvesting it. The only thing required is the intelligence to make do with what is available and stop poisoning ourselves, centralizing power and making the absurdly rich absurdly richer.
One vehicle, one solar installation producing the power equivalent to its needs. Lighter vehicles = less need for power. The tech is in place to do this. It is merely that people prefer the poor choice to the intelligent one.

Solar and Wind work fine, if they're deployed in the right geographic locations (e.g. we have a large solar plant here (in the desert) that is remarkably reliable and productive). As far as grid capacity, the market will provide as long as the commercial incentives are there, and the heavy hand of government doesn't get in its way.

That's a bit of wishful thinking ...
They didn't have a problem keeping the power on around here until they closed some power plants ...
And started trying to supply power with windmills up to two states away.

But don't worry ... I have a whole house generator that runs off natural gas or propane ...
When they just cannot seem to take care of business in a reliable manner.
And a natural gas well less than two miles away.

Of course I am not waiting for the Government to save me.

bad bad news for all authoritarian gas-stations like KSA, Muscovy, Venezuela , what will happened to them once oil (so no crazy jets full of cash landing on the roof of the Putin´s dacha) becomes what is coal today ?

"
We are in the middle of the biggest revolution in motoring since Henry Ford's first production line started turning back in 1913.
And it is likely to happen much more quickly than you imagine.
Many industry observers believe we have already passed the tipping point where sales of electric vehicles (EVs) will very rapidly overwhelm petrol and diesel cars....
_118691645_evs_sales-nc.png

Jaguar plans to sell only electric cars from 2025, Volvo from 2030 and last week the British sportscar company Lotus said it would follow suit, selling only electric models from 2028.
OnPEfRdT47FRKZho_MEvle7JoX-EmZaXKqGpWZUCuLlbSuezlKTAW64A-y4Bcvf1od_BTtsnm0R2UhEimnyjize9wgaeI82yauOAx8wFABkv4N3PoTEbEpl13Q

General Motors says it will make only electric vehicles by 2035, Ford says all vehicles sold in Europe will be electric by 2030 and VW says 70% of its sales will be electric by 2030."

You will never see anybody who is perpetuating the notion that the future is all electric who is able to tell us where that electricity would come from.
That's not a difficult, the answer is: increasingly renewables (hydro, solar, wind, (hopefully) nuclear, et al..) and increasingly efficient (and cleaner) traditional sources (natural gas, cleaner coal, etc..,). it's already happening.

Getting the bulk of the transportation fleet onto cleaner, renewable power sources is the DIFFICULT part because there are A LOT more units and they require a more complex power distribution and manufacturing infrastructure than power generation plants do, not to mention all the market resistance to changing from traditional automobiles to the alternatives.
Lol, telling me that it will come from renewable energy or alternative sources isn't saying anything, other than where you hope it will come from.
It's ALREADY HAPPENING, renewables and cleaner traditional provide an EVER-INCREASING share of total production, it would be even more if we'd stop subsidizing fossil fuel production via under valuing externalities.

You sound like you're HOSTILE to renewables and cleaner traditional sources, why is that? Do you prefer sources of energy that are dirtier and finite? or do you have some personal stake in fossil fuel production?

How much of this renewable energy is needed for this all electric future? Tell me what the electric distribution facilities would look like.
How should I know and why is it relevant? Unless of course you doubt our ingenuity and the power of market incentives, after all it was both of those factors that built the entire FOSSIL FUEL INFRASTRUCTURE, you don't think we can do it again with electricity? even given the fact that we already have a highly developed one to begin with?

There is plenty of renewable energy and many prospects for enormous improvements in harvesting it. The only thing required is the intelligence to make do with what is available and stop poisoning ourselves, centralizing power and making the absurdly rich absurdly richer.
and that doesn't exist today. And, it most likely will never. and people who believe otherwise are truly ignorant to resources.

It's ALREADY HAPPENING, renewables and cleaner traditional provide an EVER-INCREASING share of total production, it would be even more if we'd stop subsidizing fossil fuel production via under valuing externalities.
let's ask texans how that went this winter. And californians

How should I know and why is it relevant? Unless of course you doubt our ingenuity and the power of market incentives, after all it was both of those factors that built the entire FOSSIL FUEL INFRASTRUCTURE, you don't think we can do it again with electricity? even given the fact that we already have a highly developed one to begin with?
that's hilarious.

bad bad news for all authoritarian gas-stations like KSA, Muscovy, Venezuela , what will happened to them once oil (so no crazy jets full of cash landing on the roof of the Putin´s dacha) becomes what is coal today ?

"
We are in the middle of the biggest revolution in motoring since Henry Ford's first production line started turning back in 1913.
Many industry observers believe we have already passed the tipping point where sales of electric vehicles (EVs) will very rapidly overwhelm petrol and diesel cars....

Jaguar plans to sell only electric cars from 2025, Volvo from 2030 and last week the British sportscar company Lotus said it would follow suit, selling only electric models from 2028.
OnPEfRdT47FRKZho_MEvle7JoX-EmZaXKqGpWZUCuLlbSuezlKTAW64A-y4Bcvf1od_BTtsnm0R2UhEimnyjize9wgaeI82yauOAx8wFABkv4N3PoTEbEpl13Q

General Motors says it will make only electric vehicles by 2035, Ford says all vehicles sold in Europe will be electric by 2030 and VW says 70% of its sales will be electric by 2030."

You will never see anybody who is perpetuating the notion that the future is all electric who is able to tell us where that electricity would come from.
That's not a difficult, the answer is: increasingly renewables (hydro, solar, wind, (hopefully) nuclear, et al..) and increasingly efficient (and cleaner) traditional sources (natural gas, cleaner coal, etc..,). it's already happening.

Getting the bulk of the transportation fleet onto cleaner, renewable power sources is the DIFFICULT part because there are A LOT more units and they require a more complex power distribution and manufacturing infrastructure than power generation plants do, not to mention all the market resistance to changing from traditional automobiles to the alternatives.
Lol, telling me that it will come from renewable energy or alternative sources isn't saying anything, other than where you hope it will come from.

You sound like you're HOSTILE to renewables and cleaner traditional sources, why is that? Do you prefer sources of energy that are dirtier and finite? or do you have some personal stake in fossil fuel production?

How much of this renewable energy is needed for this all electric future? Tell me what the electric distribution facilities would look like.
If oil is finite how are you going to make and lubricate EVs in the future?

Can you post an estimate of the size of the area that would be needed for enough solar panels to charge a single tesla or Nissan leaf over the course of an entire day?

Screw that ... Ask them how much power it is going to take to provide for the vehicles on one block in New York City ...
And where the they are going to put the windmills for that.

"

You are only able to post your dreams, you have no idea how much electricity is needed to for an all electric future and you cannot post a plausible path to how all this power will be generated. Keep dreaming.

Why argue about it? Consumers will control the destiny of electric cars.

That's already a partial lie ... The Government is already subsidizing consumer demand.
It's true the consumer will make the choice, but not exactly who is trying to control that choice.

Can you post an estimate of the size of the area that would be needed for enough solar panels to charge a single tesla or Nissan leaf over the course of an entire day?

Screw that ... Ask them how much power it is going to take to provide for the vehicles on one block in New York City ...
And where the they are going to put the windmills for that.

Lol, when I accelerate onto the freeway or launch from a red-light, I use enough electricity myself to power a city block.

I can't imagine where enough wind OR solar power would come from to charge enough EVs for one city block.

"

You are only able to post your dreams, you have no idea how much electricity is needed to for an all electric future and you cannot post a plausible path to how all this power will be generated. Keep dreaming.
NEITHER DO YOU, so why did you bring it up as some sort of insurmountable roadblock?

The difference between you and I on that point is that I believe in American ingenuity and the power of market economies to provide when the appropriate incentives exist, apparently you don't.

I Ask AGAIN... You sound like you're HOSTILE to renewables and cleaner traditional sources, why is that? Do you prefer sources of energy that are dirtier and finite? or do you have some personal stake in fossil fuel production?

The internal combustion engine is a Rube Goldberg device. It served us well for many years but maybe it’s time for it to go like the vacuum tube and the incandescent light bulb.

I Ask AGAIN... You sound like you're HOSTILE to renewables and cleaner traditional sources, why is that? Do you prefer sources of energy that are dirtier and finite? or do you have some personal stake in fossil fuel production?
I am not not hostile toward alternative energy at all. In fact, I am an enthusiast. My screen name is based upon the EVs that I engineer and build.

Because of what I know, I do have stakes in the fossil fuel industry. I am anxious to see the development of alternative energy, but I can see that electric cars will be charged for a long, long time from fossil fuel power generation. I have yet to see a plausible path to an all electric future, and certainly not a path to an all alternative energy future.

Forum List

Back