Why electric cars will take over sooner than you think

The internal combustion engine is a Rube Goldberg device. It served us well for many years but maybe it’s time for it to go like the vacuum tube and the incandescent light bulb.
IMHO It's not going to go away completely just like the technology it replaced (horses) hasn't disappeared, it'll just end up being relegated to a much smaller role in transportation. :)

"Let's go invent tomorrow instead of worrying about what happened yesterday" -- Steve Jobs

The internal combustion engine is a Rube Goldberg device. It served us well for many years but maybe it’s time for it to go like the vacuum tube and the incandescent light bulb.
Electric propulsion is superior to ICE propulsion. Sourcing the electricity is the problem, not the kind of engine or motor.

I Ask AGAIN... You sound like you're HOSTILE to renewables and cleaner traditional sources, why is that? Do you prefer sources of energy that are dirtier and finite? or do you have some personal stake in fossil fuel production?
I am not not hostile toward alternative energy at all. In fact, I am an enthusiast. My screen name is based upon the EVs that I engineer and build.

Excellent! I'm glad to hear it since your general tone indicated that you were.
Because of what I know, I do have stakes in the fossil fuel industry. I am anxious to see the development of alternative energy, but I can see that electric cars will be charged for a long, long time from fossil fuel power generation.
Interesting, so there is a conflict of interest there.

I have yet to see a plausible path to an all electric future, and certainly not a path to an all alternative energy future.
Back in the 1980's I didn't see a plausible path to a high bandwidth, low latency cellular data infrastructure and smart phones that were 1000's of times more powerful than a Cray, YET HERE WE ARE.

"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." -- Thomas Edison

Back in the 1980's I didn't see a plausible path to a high bandwidth, low latency cellular data infrastructure and smart phones that were 1000's of times more powerful than a Cray, YET HERE WE ARE.
This doesn't mean that we will ever have an all electric future or an all alternative energy future. Back in the 1980s, I remember dreaming about flying cars, since the technology existed. While people certainly did build flying cars over the years, they are pretty rare. They just don't make any sense. Quite a luxury though...

bad bad news for all authoritarian gas-stations like KSA, Muscovy, Venezuela , what will happened to them once oil (so no crazy jets full of cash landing on the roof of the Putin´s dacha) becomes what is coal today ?

"
We are in the middle of the biggest revolution in motoring since Henry Ford's first production line started turning back in 1913.
And it is likely to happen much more quickly than you imagine.
Many industry observers believe we have already passed the tipping point where sales of electric vehicles (EVs) will very rapidly overwhelm petrol and diesel cars....
_118691645_evs_sales-nc.png

Jaguar plans to sell only electric cars from 2025, Volvo from 2030 and last week the British sportscar company Lotus said it would follow suit, selling only electric models from 2028.
OnPEfRdT47FRKZho_MEvle7JoX-EmZaXKqGpWZUCuLlbSuezlKTAW64A-y4Bcvf1od_BTtsnm0R2UhEimnyjize9wgaeI82yauOAx8wFABkv4N3PoTEbEpl13Q

General Motors says it will make only electric vehicles by 2035, Ford says all vehicles sold in Europe will be electric by 2030 and VW says 70% of its sales will be electric by 2030."

Instead that oil money goes to that paragon of fascist virtue, China.

You trade one murderous swine for another.

The difference between you and I on that point is that I believe in American ingenuity and the power of market economies to provide when the appropriate incentives exist, apparently you don't.

I Ask AGAIN... You sound like you're HOSTILE to renewables and cleaner traditional sources, why is that? Do you prefer sources of energy that are dirtier and finite? or do you have some personal stake in fossil fuel production?
Renewables don't exist. Again, one needs oil to make all the products you are referencing, so, in fact, you haven't provided one iota of change from fossil fuel. There's no such thing as renewable. Name the reuse value of what they're making?

Last edited:
One vehicle, one solar installation producing the power equivalent to its needs.
Can you post an estimate of the size of the area that would be needed for enough solar panels to charge a single tesla or Nissan leaf over the course of an entire day?
Roughly 30m2 for the equivalent of a VW Beetle.
Can you give me a link to one of the panels? I'd like to see the size and kwh specs. I think a Leaf holds about 30 kwh, and tesla is up to 100kwh.

bad bad news for all authoritarian gas-stations like KSA, Muscovy, Venezuela , what will happened to them once oil (so no crazy jets full of cash landing on the roof of the Putin´s dacha) becomes what is coal today ?

"
We are in the middle of the biggest revolution in motoring since Henry Ford's first production line started turning back in 1913.
Many industry observers believe we have already passed the tipping point where sales of electric vehicles (EVs) will very rapidly overwhelm petrol and diesel cars....

Jaguar plans to sell only electric cars from 2025, Volvo from 2030 and last week the British sportscar company Lotus said it would follow suit, selling only electric models from 2028.
OnPEfRdT47FRKZho_MEvle7JoX-EmZaXKqGpWZUCuLlbSuezlKTAW64A-y4Bcvf1od_BTtsnm0R2UhEimnyjize9wgaeI82yauOAx8wFABkv4N3PoTEbEpl13Q

General Motors says it will make only electric vehicles by 2035, Ford says all vehicles sold in Europe will be electric by 2030 and VW says 70% of its sales will be electric by 2030."

You will never see anybody who is perpetuating the notion that the future is all electric who is able to tell us where that electricity would come from.
That's not a difficult, the answer is: increasingly renewables (hydro, solar, wind, (hopefully) nuclear, et al..) and increasingly efficient (and cleaner) traditional sources (natural gas, cleaner coal, etc..,). it's already happening.

Getting the bulk of the transportation fleet onto cleaner, renewable power sources is the DIFFICULT part because there are A LOT more units and they require a more complex power distribution and manufacturing infrastructure than power generation plants do, not to mention all the market resistance to changing from traditional automobiles to the alternatives.
Lol, telling me that it will come from renewable energy or alternative sources isn't saying anything, other than where you hope it will come from.
It's ALREADY HAPPENING, renewables and cleaner traditional provide an EVER-INCREASING share of total production, it would be even more if we'd stop subsidizing fossil fuel production via under valuing externalities.

You sound like you're HOSTILE to renewables and cleaner traditional sources, why is that? Do you prefer sources of energy that are dirtier and finite? or do you have some personal stake in fossil fuel production?

How much of this renewable energy is needed for this all electric future? Tell me what the electric distribution facilities would look like.
How should I know and why is it relevant? Unless of course you doubt our ingenuity and the power of market incentives, after all it was both of those factors that built the entire FOSSIL FUEL INFRASTRUCTURE, you don't think we can do it again with electricity? even given the fact that we already have a highly developed one to begin with?
If oil is finite how are you going to make and lubricate EVs in the future?

Obviously, from the people they squish. The human body doesn't create much oil, but hey, China has a million Uighars to kill alone

All of that and the dependency on fossil fuels is unchanged. Every alternative resource requires fossil fuels. So tell me again how this all works for you?

This doesn't mean that we will ever have an all electric future or an all alternative energy future. Back in the 1980s, I remember dreaming about flying cars, since the technology existed. While people certainly did build flying cars over the years, they are pretty rare. They just don't make any sense. Quite a luxury though...
There is a way, but one they're not willing to make. Nuclear is the future. It's the only future.

Last edited:
We are at least 50 years from getting even close to getting off fossil fuels. Anyone who believes otherwise is naïve as FUCK.
You could be right, but I doubt it will be that long. There are millions of gas and diesel vehicles on the roads, and all manufacturers aren't converting to electric. The transition will take several years, but I doubt it will be 50.
Alinsky rules make the aggressor make everything into a struggle. And a victory for the aggressor when completed. The aggressor very rarely admits that their agendas have had middling success or are failures. This is politics. We all know that a different type of vehicle is coming. However if it has the limitations of concerns of some on this board then it is not going to be a nice transition.
Only a RWNJ could tie great recent advances in electric vehicle technology with some silly claim about Alinsky. Pull your head out of the conspiracy clouds, and join us in reality for once..

There is a way, but one they're not willing to make it. Nuclear is the future. It's the only future.
Solar panels and wind are the low hanging fruit to lefties who dream of an all EV future, and these lefties don't know shit about them. They will focus on this kind of stuff for awhile. All lefties can do is legislate, tax, and spend in persuit of this dream, since they don't have what it takes to actually build the shining city on a hill.

You could be right, but I doubt it will be that long. There are millions of gas and diesel vehicles on the roads, and all manufacturers aren't converting to electric. The transition will take several years, but I doubt it will be 50.

I don't have a problem with people buying what they want and the market can provide.

I do have a problem with people who want to restrict freedoms ...
Write laws that favor one industry over another, and subsidize the exclusion of alternatives already available.

You mean like the did for oil companies?

You mean like the did for oil companies?

Of course I do ... In fact I clarified that later on in the thread, silly.
It's really not my fault you wanted to pretend that wasn't what I meant in the first place.

See ... You don't want to have any fun, you just want to fight ... I'm game for that too ... :auiqs.jpg:

"

Yep, when you only get 250 miles on a good day from an electric fill up, that took 1 hour, sure, the electric car is the way to go. But if you have to go from Florida to Arizona, and it takes you 10 fill ups and it is cold outside and the days are short, you have to fill up a few more times and longer because battteries dont do well in cold weather. And all those coal fired power plants need to be churning out the CO2 for the demand of all that electricity during that time because what happened in Texas can happen any where else.
All those huge auto companies seem to disagree with you. I'm sure your research and development evaluations are much superior to theirs. As soon as they hear you don't think it is a good idea, and see your research, there is no doubt they will change their minds.
Bulldog is a great cheerleader for electric cars with his teat hanging out

But cheerleaders do not play the game on the field

Thanks to the man-made global warming doomsday hoax the left has politicized and distorted an issue that should have been a rational decision by the free market

Hey, Hey are you ready? (double clap)
Are you ready? (double clap)
To play (clap)
Say go team (clap)
Go team (clap)
Electric cars (mascot) all the way!
I'm not cheer leading. I'm just recognizing what is happening. Trust me. You don't want to see my old grey ass in a cheerleading costume anyway.

Forum List

Back