Why CO2 warming only happens near the Surface

IanC

Gold Member
Sep 22, 2009
CO2 heats the atmosphere…a counter view

This is a great and easily understood article on radiative energy transfer within the atmosphere. TE and LTE and the Equipartition Theorum. Once the 15 micron surface IR is absorbed there is no more CO2 warming to be had (minor exception described below).

The article ends with two important caveats-
"
Caveat 1

The statement we proved cannot be interpreted as “CO2 has no impact on the dynamics of the Earth-atmosphere system” . What we have proven is that the CO2 cannot heat the atmosphere in the bulk but the whole system cannot be reduced to the bulk of the atmosphere . Indeed there are 2 interfaces – the void on one side and the surface of the Earth on the other side . Neither the former nor the latter is in LTE and the arguments we used are not valid . The dynamics of the system are governed by the lapse rate which is “anchored” to the ground and whose variations are dependent not only on convection , latent heat changes and conduction but also radiative transfer . The concentrations of CO2 (and H2O) play a role in this dynamics but it is not the purpose of this post to examine these much more complex and not well understood aspects .

Caveat 2

You will sometimes read or hear that “the CO2 has not the time to emit IR because the relaxation time is much longer than the mean time between collisions.” We know now that this conclusion is clearly wrong but looks like common sense if one accepts the premises which are true . Where is the problem ?

Well as the collisions are dominating , the CO2 will indeed often relax by a collision process . But with the same token it will also often excite by a collision process . And both processes will happen with an equal rate in LTE as we have seen . As for the emission , we are talking typically about 10ⁿ molecules with n of the order of 20 . Even if the average emission time is longer than the time between collisions , there is still a huge number of excited molecules who had not the opportunity to relax collisionally and who will emit . Not surprisingly this is also what experience shows"

The mean free path of a surface 15 micron IR photon is less than 2 metres, the extinction height is roughly 10 metres. All of the surface 15 micron energy is put into the atmosphere by 10 metres, half by 2 metres. After that it is all passive diffusion as described in the article above. Once the air has thinned enough the 15 micron IR will escape, but only as much as the much cooler air can produce. The difference between what went in near the surface, and what comes out much higher up, is the amount of energy available to warm the atmosphere.

There is another bottleneck at the precipitating cloudtops where latent heat is released but this effect is smaller and at a fuzzy boundary. It still follows the same mechanism.

Other GHGs also follow this mechanism. For the wavelengths that water vapour strongly absorbs the mean free path is close to the surface and that is where the warming takes place. For weakly absorbed wavelengths the mean free path may be kilometres from the surface. For some wavelengths there is no absorption, no warming, and the energy escapes directly to space.

But for CO2 warming it is right near the surface. Increasing CO2 shortens the mean free path. Because surface temperature is actually measured 1.5 metres into the air, most (edit- much) of the CO2 warming is considered to be surface warming.

I hope this clears up some of the poorly worded descriptions in the media of CO2's impact on the GHE and AGW.

Last edited:
What do you know...another model...another bit of musing without the first piece of actual observed, measured evidence in support...how unsurprising is that?

And a big middle finger to the IPCC AGW hypothesis.. As no hot spot could ever occur and CO2, being saturated already, can not further impact global temperature..

Looks to me like we have two competing hypothesis that prove each other wrong on every level.

Hmmmmmmmmm Failed modeling again?

CO2, being saturated already, can not further impact global temperature..

Is that an admission that you think CO2 has had an impact on global temperature?

What does saturated mean to you? The OP article says that about 5% of CO2 molecules are in the excited state at room temperature.

If more CO2 is added to the air then the mean free path shortens. That means that the surface 15 micron energy is absorbed to extinction in a smaller volume of air, therefore the air is warmer.

If the air is warmer then conduction is less efficient because of a smaller temperature gradient. Less heat loss from the surface means a higher surface equilibrium temperature when the Sun shines.

I can understand someone saying that the energy just escapes by a a different pathway, convection, evaporation,etc. But that begs the question 'why didn't the energy already take the alternative pathway?' There must be some increase in temperature to make it worthwhile to change the amounts going into the different pathways.

If you disagree please be specific as to which point you are addressing.

CO2, being saturated already, can not further impact global temperature..

Is that an admission that you think CO2 has had an impact on global temperature?

What does saturated mean to you? The OP article says that about 5% of CO2 molecules are in the excited state at room temperature.

If more CO2 is added to the air then the mean free path shortens. That means that the surface 15 micron energy is absorbed to extinction in a smaller volume of air, therefore the air is warmer.

If the air is warmer then conduction is less efficient because of a smaller temperature gradient. Less heat loss from the surface means a higher surface equilibrium temperature when the Sun shines.

I can understand someone saying that the energy just escapes by a a different pathway, convection, evaporation,etc. But that begs the question 'why didn't the energy already take the alternative pathway?' There must be some increase in temperature to make it worthwhile to change the amounts going into the different pathways.

If you disagree please be specific as to which point you are addressing.

You must either believe that CO2 can warm further or you must believe that CO2 is saturated and has no further effect.

SO which is it Ian?

Either the warming is at the surface or it is mid troposphere as indicated by the AGW hypothesis. Which is it Ian?

IF CO2 is at saturation it CAN NOT FURTHER WARM ANYTHING by the laws of physics.

Water vapor lays any surface heat waste in short order and it can not change the gradient because its effects are already maxed out. Water vapor then controls everything...

SO which hypothesis do you believe?

Ohms law states that energy will always take the path of least resistance. The atmosphere is no different. Energy will take the least obstructed path until is meets an obstruction at which time it will follow the next path.

CO2 may be a small obstruction near surface but then water vapor takes over and is unrestrained further by CO2 for a variety of reasons. As water vapor ascends in the atmosphere it cools and when it cools enough it re-nucleates to water and emits in the 60-90um band due to the molecules temperature. Anything above about 1,000 feet is so cool that the wave length emitted (20um) from water can not be affected by CO2 due to its narrow absorption and emission band.

IN short, the magic heating of CO2 is short lived and can not do what the models say it can.

You must either believe that CO2 can warm further or you must believe that CO2 is saturated and has no further effect.

Why don't you read my posts?

I told you that CO2 continues to add warming influence as it increases, and how it does it.

You said 'further warming' so I asked if that meant you believed CO2 had caused some warming.

I asked you what you meant by saturated, because only a small proportion of CO2 is in the excited mode at room temperature. Explain how saturated means no further effect.

Either the warming is at the surface or it is mid troposphere as indicated by the AGW hypothesis. Which is it Ian?

CO2 warms the atmosphere during the first 10 metres. No more surface (edit- CO2 specific) energy is left to capture after that. I have been talking about a surface radiation bottleneck since I got here eight years ago. There is a much smaller bottleneck at the precipitating cloudtops where latent heat is released because an extra bolus of 15 micron IR is included in that release.

Water vapor lays any surface heat waste in short order and it can not change the gradient because its effects are already maxed out. Water vapor then controls everything.

That makes no sense. Try rewriting it in coherent sentences.

CO2 may be a small obstruction near surface but then water vapor takes over and is unrestrained further by CO2 for a variety of reasons. As water vapor ascends in the atmosphere it cools and when it cools enough it re-nucleates to water and emits in the 60-90um band due to the molecules temperature. Anything above about 1,000 feet is so cool that the wave length emitted (20um) from water can not be affected by CO2 due to its narrow absorption and emission band

More gobbledygook. CO2 and H2O operate in separate bands. Why do you think they affect each other?

I told you that CO2 continues to add warming influence as it increases, and how it does it.

Got any actual observed, measured, evidence of that? Anything like real evidence...or are you going to tell me that here, coming up on the second decade of the 21st century, when QM is supposedly making major league advances, we don't have instrumentation that is advanced enough to even verify that simple statement?

CO2 doesn't cause any warming beyond its contribution to the total mass of the atmosphere.

CO2 may be a small obstruction near surface but then water vapor takes over and is unrestrained further by CO2 for a variety of reasons. As water vapor ascends in the atmosphere it cools and when it cools enough it re-nucleates to water and emits in the 60-90um band due to the molecules temperature. Anything above about 1,000 feet is so cool that the wave length emitted (20um) from water can not be affected by CO2 due to its narrow absorption and emission band

More gobbledygook. CO2 and H2O operate in separate bands. Why do you think they affect each other?
Does water vapor cool as it rises?

CO2 warms the atmosphere during the first 10 metres. No more surface (edit- CO2 specific) energy is left to capture after that. I have been talking about a surface radiation bottleneck since I got here eight years ago. There is a much smaller bottleneck at the precipitating cloudtops where latent heat is released because an extra bolus of 15 micron IR is included in that release.
There is no surface bottle neck. Water vapor at just 27% (relative humidity) will deal with all the potential heat CO2 could effect. Below that, the air mass allows almost totally unrestricted LWIR release.

So there is little to no restriction at the surface. This is also why they have not recorded any heat build up at this level from US-CRN stations that have redundant sensors at 1.2 meters, 2.2 meters, and 3.2 meters from the surface. The temperature rise or fall is within the sensors working MOE.

SO what happened with the AGW hypothesis that water vapor has a redundant feedback loop mid troposphere? You know, the one that says there must be a hot spot? Here is why it does not appear.

Heat is absorbed by both water vapor and CO2 near surface as they operate in the same bands here (16-20um). But that is where the overlap stops. As water cools in the ascending column it's emitted wave length elongates. At just 1000 feet above the surface water has cooled by 3-5 deg C which causes the length at which it emits LWIR to be outside of the CO2 absorption bands. (>20um) It no longer overlaps bands.

A mid tropospheric hot spot can NEVER FORM because a redundant loop can NEVER FORM..

Empirical evidence puts both of these premises in their places... The garbage bin.

Last edited:
A mid tropospheric hot spot can NEVER FORM because a redundant loop can NEVER FORM..

Empirical evidence puts both of these premises in their places... The garbage bin.

Philistine....denier...how dare you question the magic of CO2...how dare you question the models of mental midgets...how dare you challenge the musings of the climate mages...who are you to contradict gaia herself....she gave this great and powerful magic to CO2 and woe be it upon the head of anyone fool enough to contradict those tasked with meditating, cogitating, and speculating on the capability and capacity of the magic...

you fool...your folly will follow you down your generations...may they all be cursed with critical thinking skills, and forced to look upon the emperors horrid, pimpled, repugnant naked ass while all those around them see naught but his beautiful garb.

I think everyone except SSDD would agree that we have instruments capable of measuring radiation given off or absorbed by various materials.

So we know how much 15 micron IR is given off by the various components of the surface, at various temperatures.

We also know how much 15 micron IR that CO2 can absorb, at various concentrations and temperatures. The mean free path is a description of how far a 15 micron IR photon can travel, on average, through a fluid of known composition and temperature. Extinction distance is where something like 99.99% is absorbed. For air at RT the mean free path is about 2 metres, extinction at about 10 metres.

With this information we know how much energy the surface adds to the atmosphere through the 15 micron IR band. And it all happens between 0-10 metres, roughly half by 2 metres.

This is not rocket science. The injection of energy near the surface couldn't be simpler to understand. More CO2 means the free path and extinction height are lower. The same amount of surface 15 micron IR energy goes into a smaller volume, increasing the temperature.

What happens to the energy afterwards is more complicated and debatable but the initial near surface CO2 warming is not.

CO2 is a warming influence.

So CO2 is not warming the oceans 800m deep?

SO what happened with the AGW hypothesis that water vapor has a redundant feedback loop mid troposphere? You know, the one that says there must be a hot spot? Here is why it does not appear.

Why are you arguing water instead of CO2?

I was one of the first here to point out the flaws of hotspot. Or the bizarre coefficient of evaporation used in the climate models, or how they only consider the energy transferred in convection not the mass that carries it. Etc.

I don't mind discussing the numerous flaws in the IPCC explanations.

Personally I don't see why climate science bundles the different effects so tightly. The uncertainties involved with each pathway vary tremendously. The A in CAGW comes from CO2, and is reasonably simple and certain. The C in CAGW comes from water vapour feedbacks which are neither simple or certain.

Remember learning about significant figures in grade school math? Uncertainties are worse, they multiply. The IPCC confidence levels are massively exaggerated.

Is that a serious question? Because honestly, it makes you sound retarded.

Is that a serious question? Because honestly, it makes you sound retarded.

Its a serious question. IPCC 5 added in the "global warming" from the "deep oceans", how did CO2 drive the heat down there?

I think everyone except SSDD would agree that we have instruments capable of measuring radiation given off or absorbed by various materials.

Oh...I agree that we have instruments capable of measuring radiation given off and absorbed by various materials...and I also know that those instruments have never measured anything like two way energy movement.

Forum List

Back