Why are not Adam and Eve given more prominent status in church doctrine?

Your desire shall be contrary to your husband,
but he shall rule over you.”
Return to the Hebrew. The English word translated as "rule" has the meaning of "instruct". In other words, wives, for the most part, tend to be faithful to their husbands, while some men still desire other women as well, and sometimes act upon it. Basically, the consequence one of the consequences for selecting to have knowledge of both good and evil is that women's desire is to be faithful to one man, her husband, while men's desire often strays. The man's desire for women other than his wife rules. She will learn this from her husband.

Do you believe most men are a one woman man, or do you think many men stray--or would like to?

Do not skip over, "It is not good for man to be alone". Women made/make men good.

The Bible holds examples of the power of women which Western culture and modern English should not overlook.

Which allows them to make it "say" anything they want it to.
Perhaps ancient man should be given more credit. It mankind today can look at a sentence and say, "This isn't right, it doesn't make sense" then we may want to study Biblical times and ancient man more carefully. More than likely they would think we are idiots for the conclusions we make about them.

Yeah except there is no "Bible". Not as a definitive book.
The Bible is a collection of written texts. And the text that is in it, is sort of like taking a small hand full of marbles out of a gallon bucket.
Why just these texts? Why not others? Who is to say what text is accurate, and what is not?
Everyone knows the Bible we have today is deeply edited set of books. The basis of all English Bible is the King James Version. Marketed as a King who fiercely instructed scholars to write exactly what they read in original text. That.... is a joke.
King James "democratized" the Bible. He removed a great deal of text that were causing a lot of arguments and divisions, and added his own beliefs into it.
Yet... the majority of people who carry one around, still pretend it is the "real thing".
Keep in mind that Catholics and Orthodox, the majority of Christians rejected the King James Version. Scholars today agree with that stance. It is extremely hard to translate Greek, Latin--and especially Hebrew--into modern English.

The other thing we fight against is the Protestant Reformation insistence that everyone can simply read the Bible and understand it all on their own. Meanwhile Jews (and some Catholics/Orthodox still follow the Jewish teaching) that the Bible is not to read--but studied over a life time.

"Bible" means a collection of books and texts. Along with this, Jews (and people have all faiths and denominations) have bundles of commentary and other texts that relate to Biblical times and stories.

Yeah except there is no "Bible". Not as a definitive book.
The Bible is a collection of written texts. And the text that is in it, is sort of like taking a small hand full of marbles out of a gallon bucket.
Why just these texts? Why not others? Who is to say what text is accurate, and what is not?
Everyone knows the Bible we have today is deeply edited set of books. The basis of all English Bible is the King James Version. Marketed as a King who fiercely instructed scholars to write exactly what they read in original text. That.... is a joke.
King James "democratized" the Bible. He removed a great deal of text that were causing a lot of arguments and divisions, and added his own beliefs into it.
Yet... the majority of people who carry one around, still pretend it is the "real thing".
Keep in mind that Catholics and Orthodox, the majority of Christians rejected the King James Version. Scholars today agree with that stance. It is extremely hard to translate Greek, Latin--and especially Hebrew--into modern English.

The other thing we fight against is the Protestant Reformation insistence that everyone can simply read the Bible and understand it all on their own. Meanwhile Jews (and some Catholics/Orthodox still follow the Jewish teaching) that the Bible is not to read--but studied over a life time.

"Bible" means a collection of books and texts. Along with this, Jews (and people have all faiths and denominations) have bundles of commentary and other texts that relate to Biblical times and stories.
And why I identify more with "Gnostic" themes than simple Christianity.
If you were to try and define as best as you can what did Gnostic sects believe in - it is this.... the truth, wherever you may find it.
And therefore, the Bible was not believed to be anything more than a collection of writings, heavily edited and formed more to hold control over populations than anything else.
I am not well versed in the indeed murky world of Gnostics, with it's many sects and varying beliefs. But I very much like the general theme they shared that truth is above all else in what is important. And therefore the only hope you have of redemption of a God, is living a life of truth and well being to others.
Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
If you were to try and define as best as you can what did Gnostic sects believe in - it is this.... the truth, wherever you may find it.
And therefore, the Bible was not believed to be anything more than a collection of writings, heavily edited and formed more to hold control over populations than anything else.
I am not well versed in the indeed murky world of Gnostics, with it's many sects and varying beliefs. But I very much like the general theme they shared that truth is above all else in what is important. And therefore the only hope you have of redemption of a God, is living a life of truth and well being to others.
Hope that makes sense.
Yes, it makes sense. I couldn't agree with ancient Gnostic that the physical was bad, the spiritual good, but I understand that truth is vital to them.

Not everything in the Bible is about me--or about anyone individual or even any one culture. For example, the Book of Revelation was about ancient Rome, but some today are convinced it is about some future event that is almost upon us.

The reason I relate best to Jesus' teachings is that he ignores politics and gets down to the individual level, what one person can do to enrich his/her one life no matter what life rains down upon him/her. At the moment I abhor US politics, but instead of wailing about end times, I focus on my life as an individual and what I can do to enrich that and the lives of those who cross my path. In "real" life, politics has a way of fading back.

Hope that makes sense.
Yes, it makes sense. I couldn't agree with ancient Gnostic that the physical was bad, the spiritual good, but I understand that truth is vital to them.

Not everything in the Bible is about me--or about anyone individual or even any one culture. For example, the Book of Revelation was about ancient Rome, but some today are convinced it is about some future event that is almost upon us.

The reason I relate best to Jesus' teachings is that he ignores politics and gets down to the individual level, what one person can do to enrich his/her one life no matter what life rains down upon him/her. At the moment I abhor US politics, but instead of wailing about end times, I focus on my life as an individual and what I can do to enrich that and the lives of those who cross my path. In "real" life, politics has a way of fading back.
Well said. And, pretty much sums up my own.
Again, when I say I identify more with the Gnostic "theme"... I am not saying I follow their rather convoluted and wildly varying beliefs, but I can identify with their overall drive - find what is true. And live a life of truth and well being to others.
I cannot find solace and truth in a book I know is not real. But one that is heavily edited/redacted and outright changed in order for ancient religious leaders to maintain their self interests. That is the truth.

I cannot find solace and truth in a book I know is not real. But one that is heavily edited/redacted and outright changed in order for ancient religious leaders to maintain their self interests. That is the truth.
Going back to the original language, especially the Hebrew, has been a treasure. Understanding the original language, intent, and culture has been worthwhile, even if time consuming. A great hobby, if nothing else...and it's been a lot more than a hobby. :)

Going back to the original language, especially the Hebrew, has been a treasure. Understanding the original language, intent, and culture has been worthwhile, even if time consuming. A great hobby, if nothing else...and it's been a lot more than a hobby. :)

Now scholars are studying the Ugrit to better translate ancient Hebrew.

Adam and Eve are, beyond the point of that one story, never mentioned again and hold no significance in any of the religions.
Yea, bury yourself in that hole all you want.
You all have cited 2 occurrences in the "Old Testament" and 3 in the "New Testament"

5 mentions in a period covering 4000 years?

Perhaps it would help if you reviewed the OP?

The question was "Why" aren't Adam and Eve MORE prominent.
I have answered the question with a reasoned response.
If you don't like the response then quibbling over 5 mentions in 4000 years doesn't help your cause.
Why not just AMSWER THE QUESTION?!?!?!

Going back to the original language, especially the Hebrew, has been a treasure.
that religion what is actually practiced and remains is spoken, the writings lack an origin for any accounts from a deity. the lost 10 commandments was all they ever "had".

Indeed... you got me interested, watched a few lectures yesterday on Kanopy.
I have a pretty solid understanding of the broad picture, it is interesting indeed to start learning the details.
The main players etc. And their motives.
It is extraordinary that an entire faith system, that has existed for 2000 years, rest primarily on a literal handful of men picking and choosing what and how people should worship. And, every single one of those men had motives and self interest to protect.

Going back to the original language, especially the Hebrew, has been a treasure.
that religion what is actually practiced and remains is spoken, the writings lack an origin for any accounts from a deity. the lost 10 commandments was all they ever "had".

See Ugarit tablets, Ras Shamra , Syria. They were written down in several languages before Judaism.

See Ugarit tablets, Ras Shamra , Syria. They were written down in several languages before Judaism.
is that religion written by a deity - or writings by mortals. most fascinating what was written in some cases if the language is decipherable - what really is practiced for "religions" is spoken, referenced to writings but when against the wall practitioners look to their own experiences to translate what they believe - not what is read.

the spoken religions are what need altering to accommodate their intrinsic goals - as what is the religion of the christian bible. or in actuality what is altered in its writings that abandons the original prescription that all three desert religions through their scriptures have abandoned. were there truth to their stories.

The main problem is the farcical story of their existence and how they got here is to stupid and embarrassing for the church recognise. Expecting people to believe eve came from Adams rib.
Come on comrade. It's a load of rubbish.

That's why no one recognises that rubbish.
No, that's not it.

The Adam and Eve story explains that all humans are conceived with original sin.

That is a very important part of Christianity.

No, that's not it.

The Adam and Eve story explains that all humans are conceived with original sin.

Ah yes read something about that..'Original sin is the Christian doctrine that humans inherit a tainted nature and a proclivity to sin through the fact of birth'..your already sinning before you even learn to speak or walk...great religious tenet there.

Ah yes read something about that..'Original sin is the Christian doctrine that humans inherit a tainted nature and a proclivity to sin through the fact of birth'..your already sinning before you even learn to speak or walk...great religious tenet there.
Do you have an alternative explanation?

No, that's not it.

The Adam and eve story is complete bullshit. Neither ever existed and could not have when one just appeared and the other was made from his rib. Stop it. How ridiculous.
Original sin never existed. Christianity invented it attempting to connect a person to religion from the beginning of life. Your silly God so tenderly gifted it then wants every one to pay for it forever. Really?

But when the likes of You people believe in immaculate conception and virgin births etc, it's not surprising you would promote another absurd concept of original sin and Adam and eve.

All the ridiculous beliefs might be important to godbotherers but in fact, none, Absolutely nothing , has any validity whatsoever. It's a total lie and you have been conned.

What usually happens now is you become very irritated and call me an idiot, then you mention my fate on your ridiculous assumption of judgement day.
Finally, you threaten me to a life in hell.
Had it all before.
Continue if you wish. I'm very good at this.

The Adam and eve story is complete bullshit. Neither ever existed and could not have when one just appeared and the other was made from his rib. Stop it. How ridiculous.
Original sin never existed. Christianity invented it attempting to connect a person to religion from the beginning of life. Your silly God so tenderly gifted it then wants every one to pay for it forever. Really?

But when the likes of You people believe in immaculate conception and virgin births etc, it's not surprising you would promote another absurd concept of original sin and Adam and eve.

All the ridiculous beliefs might be important to godbotherers but in fact, none, Absolutely nothing , has any validity whatsoever. It's a total lie and you have been conned.

What usually happens now is you become very irritated and call me an idiot, then you mention my fate on your ridiculous assumption of judgement day.
Finally, you threaten me to a life in hell.
Had it all before.
Continue if you wish. I'm very good at this.
You have no alternative explanation as to how we got here or why.

Forum List

Back