Why are not Adam and Eve given more prominent status in church doctrine?

OK.
Metaphorically, not literally may be considered the parents of humankind.
But what beyond that?
What lessons do we learn?
Don't eat apples?
Lay off the fig leaves?
Beware of those saying "try it, what have you got to lose?"
The nuances of the original language are captivating. 'Adam' wasn't merely an individual name. It encompassed all of mankind. 'Eve' wasn't just an individual name, either--but the word for mothers. In other words, the story was about everyone. All people--past, present, future--choose to have the knowledge of both good and evil. Women nudge (badger, nag) men into doing what women want, men agree and then blame women if it goes wrong.

Have you met even one person who does not fit the profile of Adam/Eve? Anyone who doesn't want knowledge of both good and evil? Of women who do not want to change the status quo? Of men who do not need a push into changing the status quo?

This is not the story of one man and one woman. The title should be, Who We All Are Now and Have All Always Been.

OK.
Metaphorically, not literally may be considered the parents of humankind.
But what beyond that?
What lessons do we learn?
Don't eat apples?
Lay off the fig leaves?
Beware of those saying "try it, what have you got to lose?"
The nuances of the original language are captivating. 'Adam' wasn't merely an individual name. It encompassed all of mankind. 'Eve' wasn't just an individual name, either--but the word for mothers. In other words, the story was about everyone. All people--past, present, future--choose to have the knowledge of both good and evil. Women nudge (badger, nag) men into doing what women want, men agree and then blame women if it goes wrong.

Have you met even one person who does not fit the profile of Adam/Eve? Anyone who doesn't want knowledge of both good and evil? Of women who do not want to change the status quo? Of men who do not need a push into changing the status quo?

This is not the story of one man and one woman. The title should be, Who We All Are Now and Have All Always Been.
OK
They gave them the opening sequence right after Creation.
Let them be parents to all of humanity
Gave Adam a big scene in Sistine.

Seriously, the story says how we got here.
Nothing of religious significance other than blaming Satan
Which, if you ask me, was pretty damned convenient.
I mean, who put the tree there, who put Eve there...
AND GOD HAD FOREKNOWLEDGE for goodness sake!
Adam and Eve, as they say, was the opening act.
A cute song, little soft shoe, betrayal scene, and discovery.
Once this opening act is over these characters have absolutely no impact on the rest of the book.

OK

Once this opening act is over these characters have absolutely no impact on the rest of the book.
The author of the story had no knowledge of the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo had no knowledge of Hebrew. In Hebrew ha-satan was temptation, not an evil spirit. People past, present, future face temptation and often fail in the wake of it.

There are two stories of creation and at least one rabbinical commentary notes that one story focuses more on the creation of the spirit of man; the other on his physical creation. I haven't studied much more than that. One theory is that Paradise is the heavenly garden immediately outside the Gates of Heaven. Here mankind was given the choice: Knowledge of both good and evil--or to know only good.

Instead of your mind picturing an angry supreme being who is intent on punishment, envision an advisor. The choice of knowledge of both good and evil entails working for a living, pain in giving birth, etc. (Everything that comes with a physical existence.) Mankind wanted to be like the Creator who knew both good and evil. In the accounts God gives the impression of advising against the knowledge of evil, but says He will not abandon mankind if they decide upon that choice.

The story of Adam and Eve is not simply the story of two people. It is our story, the story of everyone.

OK

The author of the story had no knowledge of the Sistine Chapel. Michelangelo had no knowledge of Hebrew. In Hebrew ha-satan was temptation, not an evil spirit. People past, present, future face temptation and often fail in the wake of it.

There are two stories of creation and at least one rabbinical commentary notes that one story focuses more on the creation of the spirit of man; the other on his physical creation. I haven't studied much more than that. One theory is that Paradise is the heavenly garden immediately outside the Gates of Heaven. Here mankind was given the choice: Knowledge of both good and evil--or to know only good.

Instead of your mind picturing an angry supreme being who is intent on punishment, envision an advisor. The choice of knowledge of both good and evil entails working for a living, pain in giving birth, etc. (Everything that comes with a physical existence.) Mankind wanted to be like the Creator who knew both good and evil. In the accounts God gives the impression of advising against the knowledge of evil, but says He will not abandon mankind if they decide upon that choice.

The story of Adam and Eve is not simply the story of two people. It is our story, the story of everyone.

"Michelangelo had no knowledge of Hebrew."

That can't be true in 16th century Rome.

I mean others from biblical times are portrayed with statues etc. We give a lot of homage to God, Jesus and various prophets but other than the mention in Genesis, we speak little of Adam and Eve. After all, are they not literally the Father and Mother of all mankind??
They were too human. They didn't follow instructions, got 'had' by a snake, and raised a murderer.
Still doesn't erase the idea that they are the Father and Mother of all mankind. Seems odd the chruch doesn't acknowledge them on Fathers and Mothers Day

They are not the parents of mankind because they didn't exist. Get some simple facts.
Eve never had a daughter so they could not have bred on with 2 sons.

Mankind evolved in the rift valley and that's a fact. Get a grip on yourselves.
I brought up the same argument many times..how could mankind have populated the earth with only one orginal pair of humans unless there was a ton of incest in the beggining..God must have allowed it in the beginning but now we call it an unforgivable sin. Religion is full of contradictions.
how could mankind have populated the earth with only one orginal pair of humans unless there was a ton of incest in the beggining..
adam and eve were the evolutionary confluence that made the 1st (human) being - the moment of singularity for all future humans. they were - - >
1621688617298.png

apes.

Michelangelo was an Italian Catholic who believed strongly that the Catholic faith was rooted in Judaism and that no Catholic--especially the Catholic hierarchy--should insult or attack any Jew. His painting in the Sistine Chapel portrays these beliefs and he believed Jews and Catholics should be united, not divided.

However, Michelangelo did not speak Hebrew, which is my point.

The Biblical Adam and Eve story is central to the Christian faith as the doctrine of original sin arises from it.

The Biblical Adam and Eve story is central to the Christian faith as the doctrine of original sin arises from it.
Yes, and this ties into the Jewish belief that Adam and Eve are the story of the inherent state of all mankind. It is who we are. I take note that Judaism does not call this state "Original Sin", that is Christian terminology.

Yes, and this ties into the Jewish belief that Adam and Eve are the story of the inherent state of all mankind. It is who we are. I take note that Judaism does not call this state "Original Sin", that is Christian terminology.
Judaism views it as a test. Whether Eve passed it or not is what is up for debate. Ig God wanted obedience, she failed. If God wanted to see free will in action, she passed.

OK

First, don't blame me for reading and interpreting the words as they are written. By any reasoned interpretation of what are claimed to be the "Word of the Lord," God, on his best days, is a dick.

Second, you asked a question, I gave a reasoned answer.

If you don't like the answer, don't blame me. Adam and Eve are, beyond the point of that one story, never mentioned again and hold no significance in any of the religions. It is what it is.

AND

Believe me, the last thing you want to do is get into a discussion with me over over this "God" guy and his religions.

First, don't blame me for reading and interpreting the words as they are written.
It is not blame. I simply note there are earlier perspectives than the 21st century Western Culture English if one cares to explore in great depth.

If you don't like the answer, don't blame me. Adam and Eve are, beyond the point of that one story, never mentioned again and hold no significance in any of the religions. It is what it is
On the contrary, they are mentioned elsewhere (usually without Eve, as, save for his beginning, Adam is dead). Adam's significance in human history (Israel's history) is quite profound, really.

They forsook God, and all the licentiousness of the unrepentant heart unfolded in the human drama as illustrated in the pages of the Old Testament. For the remedy, read Romans 5. Separated from God, mankind was dead. Christ, whom Paul called a second Adam, reconciled man and God, and so mankind came alive again.

Adam absolutely is foundational to the biblical narrative.

Last edited:

Michelangelo was an Italian Catholic who believed strongly that the Catholic faith was rooted in Judaism and that no Catholic--especially the Catholic hierarchy--should insult or attack any Jew. His painting in the Sistine Chapel portrays these beliefs and he believed Jews and Catholics should be united, not divided.

However, Michelangelo did not speak Hebrew, which is my point.

Did you read the article I linked?

Did you read the article I linked?
Of course. It was not news to me. Michelangelo was Italian, a devout Catholic, and was quietly ferocious that Jews and Judaism be honored. I am just noting he did not learn and speak ancient Hebrew. He was very much focused on what was happening between Christians and Jews in his own time. He was not only a great artist, he was a great man.

If you don't like the answer, don't blame me. Adam and Eve are, beyond the point of that one story, never mentioned again and hold no significance in any of the religions. It is what it is
On the contrary, they are mentioned elsewhere (usually without Eve, as, save for his beginning, Adam is dead). Adam's significance in human history (Israel's history) is quite profound, really.

They forsook God, and all the licentiousness of the unrepentant heart unfolded in the human drama as illustrated in the pages of the Old Testament. For the remedy, read Romans 5. Separated from God, mankind was dead. Christ, whom Paul called a second Adam, reconciled man and God, and so mankind came alive again.

Adam absolutely is foundational to the biblical narrative.
Second Adam?
that's it?

Forum List

Back