Why are not Adam and Eve given more prominent status in church doctrine?

I mean others from biblical times are portrayed with statues etc. We give a lot of homage to God, Jesus and various prophets but other than the mention in Genesis, we speak little of Adam and Eve. After all, are they not literally the Father and Mother of all mankind??
That Adam and Eve were literally the mother and father of all mankind is where the church's recognition of them begins to fall apart, I think.

The contemporary church insists that the creation story is scientific when it's not, and they can't convincingly continue to defend their position in light of all the empirical evidence to the contrary.

The contemporary church insists that the creation story is scientific when it's not, and they can't convincingly continue to defend their position in light of all the empirical evidence to the contrary.
Not the case. A minority of Fundamentalist sects take the Bible literally. The majority of Christian denominations and people of faith do not. The news hypes up the minority. Check the statistics of those who believe the Bible is always to be taken literally.

I mean others from biblical times are portrayed with statues etc. We give a lot of homage to God, Jesus and various prophets but other than the mention in Genesis, we speak little of Adam and Eve. After all, are they not literally the Father and Mother of all mankind??
That Adam and Eve were literally the mother and father of all mankind is where the church's recognition of them begins to fall apart, I think.

What's the alternative to Adam and Eve being the first parents? That Almighty God created all of the civilizations and millions of people at a time? I suppose it would be "possible" but it doesn't seem so likely.

I suppose you think the atheist theory that we are retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel makes more sense?

What's the alternative to Adam and Eve being the first parents? That Almighty God created all of the civilizations and millions of people at a time? I suppose it would be "possible" but it doesn't seem so likely.

I suppose you think the atheist theory that we are retarded offspring of five monkeys having butt sex with a fish-squirrel makes more sense?
You know what Adam is? It's mankind. You know what Eve is? It's life. You know what the difference is between Adam and Nod? The breath of life. Adam was in covenant with God. Nod was not. Adam is humankind.

The alternative to science is covenant. The church keeps insisting that the text is a science text, and then it can't explain why the sun came four days after the earth, how the earth could have been built on stilts, how water flooded the entire planet, how exactly two fully formed homo sapiens could have billions of progeny, etc.

The alternative is not to read a 21st-century Western worldview into a pre-first-century Near East text.

Perhaps because they never really existed.

The main problem is the farcical story of their existence and how they got here is to stupid and embarrassing for the church recognise. Expecting people to believe eve came from Adams rib.
Come on comrade. It's a load of rubbish.

That's why no one recognises that rubbish.
The church, which recognizes Adam and Eve's existence, downplays these two characters because they never existed?

Very interesting.
I'm referring to people in general not believing in their actual existence, not the church. Even the Catholic church has conceded that we are a product of evolution.

Can you expound on what you'd like to see OP?
Why the Father of all mankind is given scant recognition in Church doctrine beyond Genesis? ...seems he should be more revered than he is. Hell even Noah should be revered more than he is..didn't he save mankind from the brink of extinction. Anyway on a side note, found this..did you know there is no record or mention of how Eve died...From Adam to Noah to Abraham to David to Jesus

They were too human. They didn't follow instructions, got 'had' by a snake, and raised a murderer.

They were too human. They didn't follow instructions, got 'had' by a snake, and raised a murderer.
Still doesn't erase the idea that they are the Father and Mother of all mankind. Seems odd the chruch doesn't acknowledge them on Fathers and Mothers Day

Why the Father of all mankind is given scant recognition in Church doctrine beyond Genesis? ...seems he should be more revered than he is. Hell even Noah should be revered more than he is..didn't he save mankind from the brink of extinction. Anyway on a side note, found this..did you know there is no record or mention of how Eve died...From Adam to Noah to Abraham to David to Jesus
Brother Ben,

Adam and Eve receive appropriate recognition.

The goal is to be able to make it to Heaven so we can actually meet them.

You weren't suggesting some form of worship of them, were you?

Still doesn't erase the idea that they are the Father and Mother of all mankind. Seems odd the chruch doesn't acknowledge them on Fathers and Mothers Day

They are not the parents of mankind because they didn't exist. Get some simple facts.
Eve never had a daughter so they could not have bred on with 2 sons.

Mankind evolved in the rift valley and that's a fact. Get a grip on yourselves.

Original sin is not doing wrong. It is failing to take accountability when one does wrong. That was the message of the fall of man. It's sublime. If everyone took accountability when they did wrong the world would change overnight.

Ancient man understood these accounts. Their original meaning has been lost through time.

They are not the parents of mankind because they didn't exist. Get some simple facts.
Eve never had a daughter so they could not have bred on with 2 sons.

Mankind evolved in the rift valley and that's a fact. Get a grip on yourselves.
I brought up the same argument many times..how could mankind have populated the earth with only one orginal pair of humans unless there was a ton of incest in the beggining..God must have allowed it in the beginning but now we call it an unforgivable sin. Religion is full of contradictions.

Maybe it's because Eve had to have sex with her own sons in order to populate the planet

Original sin is not doing wrong. It is failing to take accountability when one does wrong. That was the message of the fall of man. It's sublime. If everyone took accountability when they did wrong the world would change overnight.

Ancient man understood these accounts. Their original meaning has been lost through time.
I think you made that up.

I think you made that up.
It's really hard to explain all of the nuances so I will just focus on the key point. It should be obvious that ancient men did not believe mankind's behavior was actually a surprise to God. In fact, if you read the account through that lens it makes a lot more sense. The key point is that God did not lower the boom on them when they ate the fruit. He lowered the boom on them after he asked them if they ate the fruit. It was their response that that triggered the "punishment" which in reality is man's punishment upon man. Adam, did you eat the fruit (I'm paraphrasing here)? It was the woman you made who gave it to me. Eve, did you eat the fruit? The serpent deceived me. It was right after that where God told them how much they were going to toil in life.

Lastly, another key point is that man knows when he has done wrong. When they heard him coming they hid. That's what that is telling you.

So putting it all together, man knows right from wrong and when he violates it rather than abandoning the concept he rationalizes he didn't do wrong. This should be so self evident. Just like it should be self evident that if everyone took accountability when they made mistakes the world would transform itself over night.

OK.
Metaphorically, not literally may be considered the parents of humankind.
But what beyond that?
What lessons do we learn?
Don't eat apples?
Lay off the fig leaves?
Beware of those saying "try it, what have you got to lose?"

Adam and Eve is a nice story but other than paintings on a ceiling offers no real significance.

Perhaps because they never really existed.

Of course the first man and the first broad existed. The alternative, that Almighty God created 2 dudes doesn't explain how the world was populated. The idea of sex-change operations has never allowed 2 fellows to procreate.
Maybe it wasn't Adam at all. Maybe it was Ada and Eve.
After all, men are superfluous to the reproduction process.
After all, they had God and he could always do the duck thing.
So who needs an Adam?

Forum List

Back