Who is the best GOP alternative to Trump in 2024?

You want Melania to run for president? You must have been dropped on your head.

Mrs. Trump is a tremendously intelligent dame. Knows 5 languages, very successfully businesswoman in her own right, successful mom. Have you seen little Barron lately?

A recent opinion piece by the editor of The Arizona Republic editorial pages has aroused my interest in looking for the GOP candidate I'd best prefer nominated by the GOP in 2024. The closer we get to the election the less trust I have in what candidates say and so I figure it's a good time to start searching the field while politicians are more representative of their true selves.

In the editorial piece the commentator favors Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. He did a good job of arousing my curiosity, the key part being:

The liberal party understands that the real person who threatens their fortunes wasn’t playing the fairways at Mar-a-Lago last week, he was persuading Floridians to get their COVID-19 shots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis is the future of the Republican Party. He has all the fight Donald Trump brings to the arena and all the Reagan charm Trump never had.
Democrats expect the Republicans to come to their senses and do to Trump what they should have done six months ago -- trade him in.

That's why they've spent the last six months pummeling DeSantis, trying to soften him up for his re-election as governor and his eventual rise as Republican nominee. None of it has worked, because DeSantis doesn’t govern like Trump – with a blow torch. He knows how to talk to a greater range of people and how to appeal to their more decent instincts.

DeSantis doesn't have a lot of charm. I know people who've worked for him. He's an asshole. I know someone who worked for Trump and he liked working for Trump better than DeSantis.

Having said that, he will be a top contender if Trump doesn't run.

Mrs. Trump is a tremendously intelligent dame. Knows 5 languages, very successfully businesswoman in her own right, successful mom. Have you seen little Barron lately?
Wicked smart, spent two months at a Slovenian University
She speaks three languages and lies about the others
Hard to tell what kind of mother she is as the Trumps have never allowed Barron to speak publicly and hide him from sight
But she is smart enough to keep him away from his fathers influences

lol

‘Limited’ government – you can’t be serious.

You’ve got Republican state lawmakers tripping over themselves enacting more government, bigger government at the expense of individual liberty:

More government violating a woman’s right to privacy.

More government violating the voting rights of minority Americans.

More government violating the equal protection rights of gay and transgender Americans.

More government violating the due process rights of immigrants.

More government violating the First Amendment rights of private media.

The authoritarian right needs to stop with the ‘limited’ government lie; ‘limited’ government is far more than reckless, irresponsible deregulation and tax cuts.

‘Fiscal restraint’ is likewise a lie - reckless, irresponsible tax cuts and limitless military spending that explode the debt is not ‘fiscal restraint.’

We know that ‘free markets’ is not a ‘value’ for Republicans, with the right’s advocacy of tariffs and corporate welfare; indeed, Republicans have no ‘monopoly’ on free markets, Democrats are likewise advocates of free markets.

‘Traditional values’ – such as anti-immigrant nativism, racism, anti-gay and transgender bigotry – those ‘traditional values’?

Last, there’s no such thing as ‘strict constructionism,’ it’s a meritless rightwing judicial contrivance having solely to do with politics and not the law.

The interpretive authority of the courts is a fact settled, accepted, and beyond dispute. The original intent of the Framers is that the Supreme Court determines what the Constitution means, that the Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, and that the justices are not shackled to the past when considering Constitutional issues.

Republican ‘principles’ are intended to facilitate Republican minority rule, a countermeasure to a changing American demographic leaving Republicans behind, and to insulate the Republican agenda from the majority of Americans who oppose that agenda.
StatistBitch.jpg

lol

‘Limited’ government – you can’t be serious.

You’ve got Republican state lawmakers tripping over themselves enacting more government, bigger government at the expense of individual liberty:

More government violating a woman’s right to privacy.

More government violating the voting rights of minority Americans.

More government violating the equal protection rights of gay and transgender Americans.

More government violating the due process rights of immigrants.

More government violating the First Amendment rights of private media.

The authoritarian right needs to stop with the ‘limited’ government lie; ‘limited’ government is far more than reckless, irresponsible deregulation and tax cuts.

‘Fiscal restraint’ is likewise a lie - reckless, irresponsible tax cuts and limitless military spending that explode the debt is not ‘fiscal restraint.’

We know that ‘free markets’ is not a ‘value’ for Republicans, with the right’s advocacy of tariffs and corporate welfare; indeed, Republicans have no ‘monopoly’ on free markets, Democrats are likewise advocates of free markets.

‘Traditional values’ – such as anti-immigrant nativism, racism, anti-gay and transgender bigotry – those ‘traditional values’?

Last, there’s no such thing as ‘strict constructionism,’ it’s a meritless rightwing judicial contrivance having solely to do with politics and not the law.

The interpretive authority of the courts is a fact settled, accepted, and beyond dispute. The original intent of the Framers is that the Supreme Court determines what the Constitution means, that the Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, and that the justices are not shackled to the past when considering Constitutional issues.

Republican ‘principles’ are intended to facilitate Republican minority rule, a countermeasure to a changing American demographic leaving Republicans behind, and to insulate the Republican agenda from the majority of Americans who oppose that agenda.
Pay attention to detail, I clearly indicated that these were principles that the GOP CLAIMS to stand for, I never asserted they adhere to them in fact I said that they DON’T whenever they manage to get into power.

DeSantis doesn't have a lot of charm. I know people who've worked for him. He's an asshole. I know someone who worked for Trump and he liked working for Trump better than DeSantis.

Having said that, he will be a top contender if Trump doesn't run.
The only people who could be as flamboyant, embarrassing and nuts as Trump are Taylor-Greene, Boebert and maybe that guy who flew in the paid young girls. None of them are, uh, ready, as it were.

I'd imagine that DeSantis is a shoe-in on the off chance Trump doesn't run, and he's smart enough to stay tied at the hip to the orange buffoon. If he can do that, and have Trump's blessing, his normal personality won't matter. Maybe.

Top Republicans for 2024

Ted Cruz- Even his own party hates him. Would not win Texas

Mike Pence- Traditional Republican. Trump hates him

Nikki Haley- Solid Republican, can attract moderates

Ron DeSantis- Trump Lite, not as big an asshole

Marco Rubio- Where has he been the last 4 years?

Kristi Noem- Up and comer with strong Conservative support VP?

Greg Abbott- Trying too hard

Last edited:
The only people who could be as flamboyant, embarrassing and nuts as Trump are Taylor-Greene, Boebert and maybe that guy who flew in the paid young girls. None of them are, uh, ready, as it were.

I'd imagine that DeSantis is a shoe-in on the off chance Trump doesn't run, and he's smart enough to stay tied at the hip to the orange buffoon. If he can do that, and have Trump's blessing, his normal personality won't matter. Maybe.

So you don't think the Never Trumpers are going to run anyone in 2024?

If you don't try, you've lost already.

Personally I'd love to see Hogan or Romney or Powell throw their hat into the race. With the backing of the GOP establishment that hates the millions of Little Trumpsters, they would really stand a decent chance at the nomination.

I do not have any names, but I think that the Republicans should choose a candidate who is:

a. a female.

b. a person of color (African American or Hispanic. I think Asians will have to wait a bit longer.)

c. a middle-aged person but not elderly.

d. a person who is physically attractive in a clean-cut manner.

e. a person who has a reputation as a genuine centrist.

f. a person with a nice personality.

So you don't think the Never Trumpers are going to run anyone in 2024?

If you don't try, you've lost already.

Personally I'd love to see Hogan or Romney or Powell throw their hat into the race. With the backing of the GOP establishment that hates the millions of Little Trumpsters, they would really stand a decent chance at the nomination.
None of those halfwit neocon stooges could make it to Iowa, let alone compete.

The GOP electorate has gone full throttle populist...That's not judging, just reporitng the fact.

I do not have any names, but I think that the Republicans should choose a candidate who is:

a. a female.

b. a person of color (African American or Hispanic. I think Asians will have to wait a bit longer.)

c. a middle-aged person but not elderly.

d. a person who is physically attractive in a clean-cut manner.

e. a person who has a reputation as a genuine centrist.

f. a person with a nice personality.
Yeah....The GOP base is so down with identity politics! :uhoh3: :uhoh3: :uhoh3:

A recent opinion piece by the editor of The Arizona Republic editorial pages has aroused my interest in looking for the GOP candidate I'd best prefer nominated by the GOP in 2024. The closer we get to the election the less trust I have in what candidates say and so I figure it's a good time to start searching the field while politicians are more representative of their true selves.

In the editorial piece the commentator favors Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. He did a good job of arousing my curiosity, the key part being:

The liberal party understands that the real person who threatens their fortunes wasn’t playing the fairways at Mar-a-Lago last week, he was persuading Floridians to get their COVID-19 shots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis is the future of the Republican Party. He has all the fight Donald Trump brings to the arena and all the Reagan charm Trump never had.
Democrats expect the Republicans to come to their senses and do to Trump what they should have done six months ago -- trade him in.

That's why they've spent the last six months pummeling DeSantis, trying to soften him up for his re-election as governor and his eventual rise as Republican nominee. None of it has worked, because DeSantis doesn’t govern like Trump – with a blow torch. He knows how to talk to a greater range of people and how to appeal to their more decent instincts.

Trump 2.0 is who the democrats fear the most. A republican who learned the lessons of Trump on how to fight the democrats and the democrat controlled press but better understands how not to frighten weak minded people. People who voted in biden and his actual destruction because they didnt like mean tweets are a
Special kind of stupid and they need to be handled with more finesse

My list includes almost everyone attempting to run from both party's. Willing to give Biden a full year before I make any decisions on his agenda, dislike both extreme wings of both party's.

interesting that I don’t see any Republicans endorsing anyone but Trump

There is no alternative. The GOP is the Trump Party.

After 2022, unless Republicans reclaim the House and or the Senate, both of which are looking less and less likely as time goes on, the party will turn on Trump the way they should have turned on him after January 6th.

Don't forget that Nancy Pelosi's January 6th investigation will be holding hearings for at least the rest of this legislative session, and issuing their report in the run-up to the Republican primaries. Instead of the political theatre we watched throughout the Obama and Trump administrations, you're going to see a REAL investigation, being run by people who want to make sure nothing like it ever happens again.

Last but not least, we have plea deals with at least 3 of the leaders of the Proud Boys who were hired as Roger Stone's "bodyguards" during the planning stages insurrection. The same Roger Stone who was the liason between the Trump Campaign and WikiLeaks. And General Flynn's brother helping to keep the National Guard sitting in their buses for 5 hours.

I'm really interested to hear what these Proud Boys have to say at their conspiracy trials, next year.

Kevin McCarthy really shot himself in the foot walking out on that investigation. Under the first proposal that was voted down, Republicans had veto power over any witnesses Democrats want to call. Those Pentagon appointments that Trump made right after the election was called for Biden, made everybody curious at the time. What was Trump doing with these appointments?

After January 6th, it was fairly evident what he was doing.

Trump will win in 2024.
2028 will be wide open. DeSantis will likely lead the pack, but other loyal Republicans like Devin Nunes and Jim Jordan will get good poll numbers. Abbot has a shot if he gets the Texas border wall built.

Forum List

Back