Who is the best GOP alternative to Trump in 2024?

A recent opinion piece by the editor of The Arizona Republic editorial pages has aroused my interest in looking for the GOP candidate I'd best prefer nominated by the GOP in 2024. The closer we get to the election the less trust I have in what candidates say and so I figure it's a good time to start searching the field while politicians are more representative of their true selves.

In the editorial piece the commentator favors Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. He did a good job of arousing my curiosity, the key part being:

The liberal party understands that the real person who threatens their fortunes wasn’t playing the fairways at Mar-a-Lago last week, he was persuading Floridians to get their COVID-19 shots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis is the future of the Republican Party. He has all the fight Donald Trump brings to the arena and all the Reagan charm Trump never had.
Democrats expect the Republicans to come to their senses and do to Trump what they should have done six months ago -- trade him in.

That's why they've spent the last six months pummeling DeSantis, trying to soften him up for his re-election as governor and his eventual rise as Republican nominee. None of it has worked, because DeSantis doesn’t govern like Trump – with a blow torch. He knows how to talk to a greater range of people and how to appeal to their more decent instincts.

How about Gen. Colin Powell? Former Secretary of State, highly respected by the media, the democrats and the liberal elite, person of color. His utter disdain and hatred for President Trump is legendary, he'd really create a lot of good will with the anti-trumpers and the campaign would be one of good feelings between he and Biden who he supported in 2020

Gen. Powell is old, but he still has good posture and speaks well, lives close to the nation's capital so he would be easily available for chat fests with the network talking heads during the campaign and he wouldn't have to travel that much- which can be difficult for men of advanced age.

How about Gen. Colin Powell? Former Secretary of State, highly respected by the media, the democrats and the liberal elite, person of color.

His utter disdain and hatred for President Trump is legendary, he'd really create a lot of good will with the anti-trumpers and the campaign would be one of good feelings between he and Biden who he supported in 2020

Gen. Powell is old, but he still has good posture and speaks well, lives close to the nation's capital so he would be easily available for chat fests with the network talking heads during the campaign and he wouldn't have to travel that much- which can be difficult for men of advanced age.

Powell is a good man, but he's old and he has served is country.. He just doesn't have those overweening ego needs like Trump. I would love to see him on TV now and again, but wouldn't press him.

How about Gen. Colin Powell? Former Secretary of State, highly respected by the media, the democrats and the liberal elite, person of color. His utter disdain and hatred for President Trump is legendary, he'd really create a lot of good will with the anti-trumpers and the campaign would be one of good feelings between he and Biden who he supported in 2020

Why would it be beneficial for the Republicans to nominate “Democrat Lite”? might as well just nominate a Democrat.

Wouldn’t it make more sense for the Republicans to nominate someone that has a history of advocating the principles that the GOP claims to stand for?

I was mocking you, dumbfuck.

McMullen has all the hallmarks of being an undercover DNC shill....He's Romney without the greasy hair.
LOL, you know something is fishy when a Democrat tells you that the GOP should nominate a staunchly socially conservative MORMON that also happens to be an ex-CIA agent.

BTW it’s McMullin not McMullen.:p

A recent opinion piece by the editor of The Arizona Republic editorial pages has aroused my interest in looking for the GOP candidate I'd best prefer nominated by the GOP in 2024. The closer we get to the election the less trust I have in what candidates say and so I figure it's a good time to start searching the field while politicians are more representative of their true selves.

In the editorial piece the commentator favors Florida Governor Ron DeSantis. He did a good job of arousing my curiosity, the key part being:

The liberal party understands that the real person who threatens their fortunes wasn’t playing the fairways at Mar-a-Lago last week, he was persuading Floridians to get their COVID-19 shots.

Gov. Ron DeSantis is the future of the Republican Party. He has all the fight Donald Trump brings to the arena and all the Reagan charm Trump never had.
Democrats expect the Republicans to come to their senses and do to Trump what they should have done six months ago -- trade him in.

That's why they've spent the last six months pummeling DeSantis, trying to soften him up for his re-election as governor and his eventual rise as Republican nominee. None of it has worked, because DeSantis doesn’t govern like Trump – with a blow torch. He knows how to talk to a greater range of people and how to appeal to their more decent instincts.

DeSantis would make a good Trump replacement.

Like Trump, DeSantis mismanaged the pandemic, one in five new cases of COVID are in Florida.

Like Trump, DeSantis has contempt for facts and the truth.

Like Trump, DeSantis has nothing but contempt for the Constitution, its case law, and the rule of law – the anti-social media measure he signed into law being one of many examples; a law recently invalidated by the courts as violating the First Amendment.

Like Trump, DeSantis is arrogant and ruthless, a blind partisan hack, and wrong on the issues – he’d make a perfect Trump replacement for Republicans.

What principles are those (this week)?
Same ones that have been in place for quite a while now, just to name the most prevalent ones….

Limited Government
Fiscal Restraint
Free Markets
Traditional Values
Strict Constructionism

Not that they ever adhere to any of them when they manage to get into power, however it would be nice if the rank and file at least CONSIDERED them when choosing a nominee.

What makes Ivanka qualified for the Presidency? If it’s just the fact that you think she’d follow the “Trump Agenda”, couldn’t any number of potential Republican Candidates do that? After all it’s just a script, right?
What you say is entirely true.

I said "Ivanka" because confidence is high that she would follow much of the Trump agenda.

I said "Ivanka" because her father could advise her from time to time and therefore lead his Cult Followers to believe that he was still in charge... kinda-sorta.

I said "Ivanka" because she is a female and would draw-in a great many women... many in the Center and amonst Reagan Trump Democrats.

Could those others also read from the script?

Of course... nolo contendre... no argument here.

But those others will lack the 'magic' of the Trump name amongst die Basis.

If the Republicans still have a one functional brain between them - which is up for debate in recent years - they will not field the Orange Baboon again.

Well so far looking at those first listed (excluded Seabiscuit) we've come up with
  • Evan McMullen
  • Jim Jordan
  • Josh Hawley
  • Ron DeSantis
  • Nikki Haley
  • Larry Hogan
  • Donald Trump Jr.
  • Jared Kushner
  • Tucker Carlson
  • Eric Trump
  • Melania Trump

The ones I'll definitiely skip are the Trumps and Carlson who I presume refers to Tucker Carlson.

DeSantis and Haley are the two that interest me the most. I favor those experienced in being governors.

Kushner has done some good things, but because he wasn't a Supreme Commander of a World War expedition force I wouldn't start him off at President as his first elected political post.

A bit familar with Evan McMullen and Jim Jordan but others I'll need to research.

Last edited:
Same ones that have been in place for quite a while now, just to name the most prevalent ones….

Limited Government
Fiscal Restraint
Free Markets
Traditional Values
Strict Constructionism

Not that they ever adhere to any of them when they manage to get into power, however it would be nice if the rank and file at least CONSIDERED them when choosing a nominee.
Let's add some that the left has abandoned entirely:

Free speech
Civil liberties, due process, and presumption of innocence
Ceasing interventionist foreign wars
Pro-privacy
Distrust of the police state
Anti-corporate
Anti-establishment
Anti-authoritarian

Limited Government
Fiscal Restraint
Free Markets
Traditional Values
Strict Constructionism
lol

‘Limited’ government – you can’t be serious.

You’ve got Republican state lawmakers tripping over themselves enacting more government, bigger government at the expense of individual liberty:

More government violating a woman’s right to privacy.

More government violating the voting rights of minority Americans.

More government violating the equal protection rights of gay and transgender Americans.

More government violating the due process rights of immigrants.

More government violating the First Amendment rights of private media.

The authoritarian right needs to stop with the ‘limited’ government lie; ‘limited’ government is far more than reckless, irresponsible deregulation and tax cuts.

‘Fiscal restraint’ is likewise a lie - reckless, irresponsible tax cuts and limitless military spending that explode the debt is not ‘fiscal restraint.’

We know that ‘free markets’ is not a ‘value’ for Republicans, with the right’s advocacy of tariffs and corporate welfare; indeed, Republicans have no ‘monopoly’ on free markets, Democrats are likewise advocates of free markets.

‘Traditional values’ – such as anti-immigrant nativism, racism, anti-gay and transgender bigotry – those ‘traditional values’?

Last, there’s no such thing as ‘strict constructionism,’ it’s a meritless rightwing judicial contrivance having solely to do with politics and not the law.

The interpretive authority of the courts is a fact settled, accepted, and beyond dispute. The original intent of the Framers is that the Supreme Court determines what the Constitution means, that the Constitution exists solely in the context of its case law, and that the justices are not shackled to the past when considering Constitutional issues.

Republican ‘principles’ are intended to facilitate Republican minority rule, a countermeasure to a changing American demographic leaving Republicans behind, and to insulate the Republican agenda from the majority of Americans who oppose that agenda.

If President Trump doesn't want to run, I like Donald Jr., Kushner, Carlson, Eric, or Melania as all good choices.

But if Trump wants to run, I think it would be pointless to think of any Republican who could successfully primary The Donald and then actually vanquish Sleepy Joe in the general election.
Melania?

Ever heard of the Constitution?

Limited Government
Fiscal Restraint
Free Markets
Traditional Values
Strict Constructionism

Amazing how far today’s Republicans have strayed

Any Republican today that has those values gets branded a RINO

Forum List

Back