While You Are Out Of Work...

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Amazon hiring 100,000 warehouse workers amid coronavirus boom

In addition to creating new full-time and part-time positions to handle the crush, Amazon said it is increasing wages for warehouse workers across the board from a minimum of $15 to a floor of $17, with similar raises in other regions ("C$2 in Canada, £2 per hour in the UK, and approximately €2 per hour in many EU countries"). That increase, however, is currently only guaranteed through the end of April and may not necessarily become permanent.

Seriously. If you know anyone laid off because of C-19, let them know about this.

My daughter works at Taco Bell. They are strictly drive-thru now. She is worried about layoffs and that they will probably lay off kids who live with their parents, which makes sense.

But other laid off low-wage workers who are not living with their parents are going to be really struggling in the coming months.

In addition to creating new full-time and part-time positions to handle the crush, Amazon said it is increasing wages for warehouse workers across the board from a minimum of $15 to a floor of $17, with similar raises in other regions ("C$2 in Canada, £2 per hour in the UK, and approximately €2 per hour in many EU countries"). That increase, however, is currently only guaranteed through the end of April and may not necessarily become permanent.

Seriously. If you know anyone laid off because of C-19, let them know about this.

My daughter works at Taco Bell. They are strictly drive-thru now. She is worried about layoffs and that they will probably lay off kids who live with their parents, which makes sense.

But other laid off low-wage workers who are not living with their parents are going to be really struggling in the coming months.

Wife mentioned that earlier.

Might want to check working conditions before applying.

If this thing is prolonged, it will affect a lot more people than MW workers. When 50% live paycheck to paycheck, this could get ugly. Do banks foreclosure on homes and repossess autos? Do landlords evict? Do utility companies shut off services?

49% Of Americans Expect To Live Paycheck To Paycheck This Year

If only we could all be taken care off like the big banks.
That is the problem. The people are put in debt to prop up these biggies and when its all over they go back to paying their CEO's (themselves mega bucks as if all is well and nothing ever happened.

I've seen the documentaries. :lol:

This is awesome, but I could have sworn I heard something about them stopping many orders but for those of necessity and importance.

Plus... warehouses and such can be crowded environments. How will they address the issue of contagion?

better crappy working conditions than no working conditions.

I think the current plan is to take these "extreme" measures so that the inconveniences will be short duration. 3-4 weeks is the hope.

Shame AOC didn’t want those jobs for her constituents.

If this thing is prolonged, it will affect a lot more people than MW workers. When 50% live paycheck to paycheck, this could get ugly. Do banks foreclosure on homes and repossess autos? Do landlords evict? Do utility companies shut off services?

I read somewhere that evictions and utility shutoffs were stopped "for the duration". Looking for a link.

Edit: .Seems to be a patchwork.

evictions and utility shutoff - Google Search

Which is why I believe this is a gross over-reaction that is creating unnecessary hardship.

This is awesome, but I could have sworn I heard something about them stopping many orders but for those of necessity and importance.

Plus... warehouses and such can be crowded environments. How will they address the issue of contagion?
The workers are not jammed together.

amazon-workers.jpg

Yeah...….be careful with that. #3 was hired for the Christmas season. For the month of December he was working up to 11.5 hour shifts, & up to 5 days a week. Normal shift is 4/10's Then in January everything slowed way down...….as does all retail type business. But he didn't get another full 40 hour shift since. Then on the 6th OF THIS MONTH, on his day off, got a robo phone call saying his temporary position was terminated effective immediately. NO warning, just done......….and now less than 2 weeks later they want to hire more people???
I'll bet you anything, those jobs will end in a few months at best, in the same manner.........and of course, being a short term hire, there are no unemployment benefits.

Kinda like Walmart does, mass hires then layoffs or otherwise high turnovers

No kidding!

So far the talk is $250 billion for us citizens and $750 billion proposal for Corporations and Business, after they already got a huge beyond huge, permanent tax cut....And the near zero Fed rate for them as well...

Only for us individuals to have to pay for all of it When the bill comes due.

Yeah...….be careful with that. #3 was hired for the Christmas season. For the month of December he was working up to 11.5 hour shifts, & up to 5 days a week. Normal shift is 4/10's Then in January everything slowed way down...….as does all retail type business. But he didn't get another full 40 hour shift since. Then on the 6th OF THIS MONTH, on his day off, got a robo phone call saying his temporary position was terminated effective immediately. NO warning, just done......….and now less than 2 weeks later they want to hire more people???
I'll bet you anything, those jobs will end in a few months at best, in the same manner.........and of course, being a short term hire, there are no unemployment benefits.

FYI-
I believe you have to work 26 weeks in a year's time to be eligible for unemployment, so if the person can find another temp job for a few weeks, they could be eligible... yes, probably easier said than done....

FYI-
I believe you have to work 26 weeks in a year's time to be eligible for unemployment, so if the person can find another temp job for a few weeks, they could be eligible... yes, probably easier said than done....

Agreed on the easier said than done.....how to find a job, when the country has nearly stopped in the face of this virus and panic. Everyone is supposed to be self quarantined or mandatory in some places, business's have cut back hours or availability, or closed altogether temporarily, everyone's saying it could be months and get worse...how do you get a job in an environment like that???

If you need the money, you can do any job temporarily.

FYI-

Agreed on the easier said than done.....how to find a job, when the country has nearly stopped in the face of this virus and panic. Everyone is supposed to be self quarantined or mandatory in some places, business's have cut back hours or availability, or closed altogether temporarily, everyone's saying it could be months and get worse...how do you get a job in an environment like that???
You can't.... near impossible!!

This feels like we are heading in to a great depression, not even a recession....:eek:

I don't think the majority of the country realized just how many of our citizens live just one or two pay checks from abject poverty. If there is any good news in all this, it's that the need to take care of the citizens instead of the multinational corporations is made so clear. Hopefully, after this is over, our politicians might at least consider the changes that have been needed for so long. Giveaways to the top 1% doesn't help the citizens.

I'll bet you anything, those jobs will end in a few months at best
Which is fine if the pandemic has abated and they can go back to their old jobs.

Better a paycheck for a few months than nothing at all.

Forum List

Back