What's Happening?

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
I just received a phone call from my brother, stating that the police picked up my mother last night on a neightbor's porch. His wife, who is power of attorney, has been making the necessary arrangements to have mom institutionalized. We have kept her in her home of 48 years for as long as possible. Still it makes me sad.

BUT that is not the main reason for this post. When Greg called he said, "Did anybody GET UP with you"? What is this s**t? It's not like he's 16 years old, trying to impress his friends. He's an educated, smart man. But sure doesn't sound like it. NO, no one GOT UP with me, nor did I receive a call at that point.
Really, now, " 'GET UP' with you"?! Am I the only one who thinks this strange?

There's several around here whom I've heard use this term. They want to know if anyone has called you, caught up with you, or contacted you in some manner. Therefore, have they "got up" with you, yet.

so where does the problem with him using that lay?

"Have you heard from mike?"

"Did mike get up with you?"

sorry...I just don't see a major difference.

Maybe I'm at fault here. I guess I just expect an eduacted person to speak in a more befitting manner.

as we all expect all educated people to do.
but look at it this way, at least it's still some form (even if broken) of english.

Ooops. I say "get up", LOL!! Say, hubby's dad was calling looking for hubby. So, next time I see hubby I ask, "Did your dad get up with you". I was raised on this, from my grandma to, well, LOL, everyone in my family. I didn't relize people would think it rude or unacceptible since I've heard this term all my life, LOL!

Joz said:
BUT that is not the main reason for this post. When Greg called he said, "Did anybody GET UP with you"? What is this s**t? It's not like he's 16 years old, trying to impress his friends. He's an educated, smart man. But sure doesn't sound like it. NO, no one GOT UP with me, nor did I receive a call at that point.
Really, now, " 'GET UP' with you"?! Am I the only one who thinks this strange?

No, I think it's strange, it is definatly not proper english, and it sounds like street slang! I mean I guess if that's the way you want to talk go for it. I myself wouldn't. I don't know what his profession is, but I hope he doesn't talk like that at work.

I've never even heard the term which is strange because I think my son secretly wants to be black and uses all kinds of crap I don't understand just to piss me off! :)

dilloduck said:
I've never even heard the term which is strange because I think my son secretly wants to be black and uses all kinds of crap I don't understand just to piss me off! :)

Then have him add this to his vocabulary. 'Tis VERY popular among those kids ( not just black) who wear baggy shirts, baggy pants that hang so low off their butt they can't walk, and 25 gold chains.

Mr. P said:
Chill Joz...sometimes even educated people take a break.
Know what I mean, Vern??

Sure, I know what you mean. I haven't manicured my nails in a month, and sometimes I run to the quickie mart with my hair in a ponytail. I guess it's all how we each perceive things. I'm sure some look at me & think I'm a pig.

Joz said:
Sure, I know what you mean. I haven't manicured my nails in a month, and sometimes I run to the quickie mart with my hair in a ponytail. I guess it's all how we each perceive things. I'm sure some look at me & think I'm a pig.
A pig? Nahhh not for a pony tail....Curlers, in public? Yep!

Mr. P said:
A pig? Nahhh not for a pony tail....Curlers, in public? Yep!

What?! No curlers in public?! How about a fuzzy robe & slippers? :happy2:

Joz said:
What?! No curlers in public?! How about a fuzzy robe & slippers? :happy2:

My daughter's grandmother picked her up the other day with rollers in her hair. My daughter was mortified. I thought it was funny since she drives a brand new caddie, but that's just me.

Said1 said:
My daughter's grandmother picked her up the other day with rollers in her hair. My daughter was mortified. I thought it was funny since she drives a brand new caddie, but that's just me.

If I could afford a brand new caddie, I'd wear whatever I wanted, too! :D Still causing embarrassment to our kids....

It's funny how perceptive our children are. We think they're 'just kids'.

But I remember being that age and my school principals flirting with my mother. I wasn't sure exactly what was going on but I knew they treated her VERY differently. It's sad what happened today. She was quite a looker. Tanned skin, dark hair & eyes. Fine features, small boned, slim, nice bust. On a good day, you might be able to tell there's a chance I could be her daughter. I look like my father's German side. In fact, I had an aunt that looked like Yoda, 'cept she wasn't green.

Forum List

Back