What was your best sport as a kid ??

I mean up to age 17-18 ??

As I said it was tennis for me. I was never the next Federer but I did make it to 4.5 level
My game had zero weapons but I had terrific speed , good endurance and I was super consistent Grinder !!
I was always out gunned but I was more consistent than my opponents and I had more speed and endurance
Football, baseball, wrestling, tennis...track was okay but...

Best was grappling, I impressed my coaches in high school. Base ball I love and had pretty good pitching style. But coach said not enough power and speed. I will put hunting in there with grappling . I could not participate in organized sports because I worked.
My best day in sports I gave my coaches best national ranked wrestler all he could handle on the mat and was out weighed by 50 pounds. I was 5'11'' 125 lbs at 17 years old. My big victory was the only one in gym class that climbed the rope to the top of the gym. Varsity boys got miffed :cool:
5-11 is very tall back in those days !!
Why was your body weight so light.
I had a high metabolism and everything burned up. I ate a lot of food. Worked at hard labor jobs when not in school.

Best was grappling, I impressed my coaches in high school. Base ball I love and had pretty good pitching style. But coach said not enough power and speed. I will put hunting in there with grappling . I could not participate in organized sports because I worked.
My best day in sports I gave my coaches best national ranked wrestler all he could handle on the mat and was out weighed by 50 pounds. I was 5'11'' 125 lbs at 17 years old. My big victory was the only one in gym class that climbed the rope to the top of the gym. Varsity boys got miffed :cool:

Wrestling was a great sport for the little guys like yourself, because of the weight limits.

Football and basketball really give an advantage to the big guys. I weighed 260 as a senior in high school, I don't think you'd want to be opposite me in football.
There are higher weights in wrestling as well. Plenty of big guys.

Sure.

But the bigger guys have more of an option to do football and basketball- that the small guys don't. Really reduces the talent pool for wrestling as so many of those guys are on the line instead of in the ring.
That makes no sense. Football is a Fall sport, and wrestling is a Winter sport. A very large percentage of football players also wrestle.

How long did you wrestle for ??

The sport just has an insane commitment
Only wrestled intramural I had to work so organized sports was out. What I knew of grappling I learned mostly on my own. Highschool coach called me a '' no gi folk grappler''. In gym class was the only time I participated in sports.

Last edited:

Only wrestled intramural I had to work so organized sports was out. What I knew of grappling I learned mostly on my own. Highschool coach called me a '' no gi folk grappler''. In gym class was the only time a participated in sports.

Baseball....an untimed game of rules to learn. Still King of Sports in the 1960's. Then as many guys did, transitioned to softball leagues as maturity set in.

Football. Started in seventh and eighth grade, but then I grew much taller without gaining any weight. Coach wouldn’t play me so I quit.

Tall is good for a receiver...
5’ 10” and 110 doesn’t work.

I played defense. Tall skinny receivers were always a target. Hit'em right once, and they would flinch for the rest of the game.
I was so skinny coach wouldn’t play me. I don’t blame him. He figured I’d get killed. I loved the contact but my body wasn’t designed for it, as I grew. Plus I was a safety, not a receiver.

Last edited:

Only wrestled intramural I had to work so organized sports was out. What I knew of grappling I learned mostly on my own. Highschool coach called me a '' no gi folk grappler''. In gym class was the only time I participated in sports.

I don't think you can 'claim' a sport if you only ever played it in gym class.

I don't think you can 'claim' a sport if you only ever played it in gym class.
Even if the class had most of the varsity players and we had to compete with them to get a grade. Some days I did well against them and some days not. And then there was a thing social workers set up called Summer Field Days. Us poor kids competed in track and field sports and flag foot ball. I won 4 ribbons at those. :cool:

It would be very hard to start wrestling in HS
You need to start early
I don’t think I could do tennis and wrestling . So much time
Football no way !! Why to thin and don’t fit in

Football I don’t love hitting or being hit and the uniforms are heavy
Tennis it’s just some gay shorts lol

Popular Jewish sports were : basketball , soccer , swimming , golf and tennis
That was it

No Jew does fishing , bowling or pool
These are odd activities to me

I can't think of any Jewish wrestlers either. Lots of Moslem grapplers- but few of the Hebrew faith.
Plenty of Jewish athletes wrestle.

Really? I know there are a lot of Jewish boxers, but I can't think (off the top of my head) of any Jewish wrestlers. Lots of Muslims however, the Iron Sheik , the original Sheik, Abdullah the Butcher, Ayatollah Freddie Blassie, etc.

I was a very good Basketball player, was on the City Champion team as starter, Played at level with players of the High school state champions for 1979, Richland Bombers.

But destroyed my ankle playing in a game and never played competitively again.

No Jew does fishing , bowling or pool
These are odd activities to me

I can't think of any Jewish wrestlers either. Lots of Moslem grapplers- but few of the Hebrew faith.
Plenty of Jewish athletes wrestle.

Really? I know there are a lot of Jewish boxers, but I can't think (off the top of my head) of any Jewish wrestlers. Lots of Muslims however, the Iron Sheik , the original Sheik, Abdullah the Butcher, Ayatollah Freddie Blassie, etc.
There was 700 Jewish boxers from 1910-1940
Zero after

Forum List

Back