What was your best sport as a kid ??

I mean up to age 17-18 ??

As I said it was tennis for me. I was never the next Federer but I did make it to 4.5 level
My game had zero weapons but I had terrific speed , good endurance and I was super consistent Grinder !!
I was always out gunned but I was more consistent than my opponents and I had more speed and endurance
Baseball. 90 plus fast ball wicked slider. Played basketball in high school but was no star.

My worts sports were baseball and basketball
I can’t catch . I can’t throw . I can’t shoot and I can’t dribble

You see why I am the only tennis poster here

Sad to see how Tennis has declined in this country.
I remember the Tennis boom in the 70s. I would ride my bike to a public court and usually had to wait 30 min to an hour for a court to open up.

I live near a public court now and rarely see anyone playing.

I mean up to age 17-18 ??

As I said it was tennis for me. I was never the next Federer but I did make it to 4.5 level
My game had zero weapons but I had terrific speed , good endurance and I was super consistent Grinder !!
I was always out gunned but I was more consistent than my opponents and I had more speed and endurance

Tae Kwon Do. I began at the very first Jhoon Rhee (known as "the Father of American Tae Kwon Do") Academy, in Washington DC in 1964.

My worts sports were baseball and basketball
I can’t catch . I can’t throw . I can’t shoot and I can’t dribble

You see why I am the only tennis poster here

No you're not. I dig tennis. It's the lateral movement.

My favorite sport was baseball but what I was best at was football. Launch a ball into the air anywhere, and I got it.
Did you play HS football ?

No. Played around the neighborhood.
Hated high school. Hated every school. Hate hate hate. :death:

Boys only school?

Bowling when I was 17-18. Disqualified myself for high school sports at the time as I had been getting paid since I was 16.

By 17-18 I was on all scratch men's leagues and, at the time, a prestigious men's scratch traveling league where we bowled at a different house each Sunday afternoon with, as usual, pot games going into the night. I paid for my first two years of college, then a Jr. college, and bowling paid for my second two years at the University of Miami, a private college.

Two entities offered me a sponsorship to go on the pro-tour for a year and see what happened. When you're young and stupid, a year sounds like the rest of your life. So I turned the offer down. I regretted that decision if for no other reason than the experience it would have been. Such is life.

I coulda been a contenda! :D

Last edited:
Best was grappling, I impressed my coaches in high school. Base ball I love and had pretty good pitching style. But coach said not enough power and speed. I will put hunting in there with grappling . I could not participate in organized sports because I worked.
My best day in sports I gave my coaches best national ranked wrestler all he could handle on the mat and was out weighed by 50 pounds. I was 5'11'' 125 lbs at 17 years old. My big victory was the only one in gym class that climbed the rope to the top of the gym. Varsity boys got miffed :cool:

Best was grappling, I impressed my coaches in high school. Base ball I love and had pretty good pitching style. But coach said not enough power and speed. I will put hunting in there with grappling . I could not participate in organized sports because I worked.
My best day in sports I gave my coaches best national ranked wrestler all he could handle on the mat and was out weighed by 50 pounds. I was 5'11'' 125 lbs at 17 years old. My big victory was the only one in gym class that climbed the rope to the top of the gym. Varsity boys got miffed :cool:

Wrestling was a great sport for the little guys like yourself, because of the weight limits.

Football and basketball really give an advantage to the big guys. I weighed 260 as a senior in high school, I don't think you'd want to be opposite me in football.

Wrestling was a great sport for the little guys like yourself, because of the weight limits.

Football and basketball really give an advantage to the big guys. I weighed 260 as a senior in high school, I don't think you'd want to be opposite me in football.
It did surprise me on how big a lot of my class mates were back in high school. Coaches liked my technique playing other sports but like you say the big boys had the advantage.

Baseball.... all stick and no glove. I batted cleanup most of the time but they hid me out in right field. Great arm but winged it into the stands (or visiting dugout) occasionally.

Then chasing girls.... and golf.

Now just laughing and pointing at those filthy fucking marxist animals. And scratch golf.

Baseball. I won the batting championship as a 12 year old. Unfortunately that was when I hit my peak. :rolleyes:
Same here. I played from t-ball at age 6 to freshman year of HS,...Mostly third base, pitcher and
catcher occasionally. Anyway --decided at 16 that working after school to put gas in my black 77 Camaro
to date girls was cooler than hanging with the jocks. By the time I found out
what a golden opportunity I missed it was probably too late. Although, in Sarasota
visiting my mom's HS friend from Kentucky the summer before my senior year of high school
up in Ohio, her husband was a local baseball training camp instructor in Ft Lauderdale who clocked my fastball
out of 10 pitches I averaged 85 mph....fastest was 87. And I had a pretty nasty curve and knuckleball.
With training and going pro, at 6'3" I could have gotten to high 90's maybe.

One phone call could have changed my life....."Mom.
I'm moving to Florida."

Last edited:

Forum List

Back