Which NFL QB All-time had the best "Second stint" on a different team in history?

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
We've seen QB's establish themselves over the years, and then eventually move on to another team. Some are successful, others not. But who had the best "next chapter" in NFL history?

The one rule I'll put out there is that it's required for the QB to have been established, skilled/successful, and over a period of time before they went to their second team. Yes, Drew Brees played for the Chargers for 4 years with above-average success to begin his career, but you can't count him in this discussion.

The candidate I think is most obvious is Peyton Manning. Everyone knows Manning was elite and the top QB in the league many years he played on the Colts. He played 13 seasons in Indianapolis, earned 4 MVP's, before a neck surgery caused the team to hedge their bets and move on with Andrew Luck as the new stud QB.

Manning then went to Denver, where there was MAJOR doubt he would be able to recapture his elite form. He did that and more, putting up seasons such as:
  • 2012: 4659 yds, 37 TD's, 11 INT's
  • 2013: 5,477 yds, 55 TD's, 10 INT's
  • 2014: 4,727 yds, 39 TD's, 15 INT's

His last year he was crippled and injured, and only played in 10 games, with 9 TD's and a shocking 17 INT's. His body clearly let him down. But in his second stint in Denver, he put up all-time great numbers and won a 5th MVP (should have won in 2012 too).

Some other names that come to mind on a lesser level include:
Kurt Warner to Arizona Cardinals
Joe Montana to Kansas City Chiefs
Tom Brady to Tampa Bay Bucs
Brett Favre to Minnesota

Anyone else come to mind? Do you disagree with my Peyton declaration?

It's all about the rings and only Brady and Manning have SB wins with different teams. Manning played better overall for Denver than Brady with the Bucs.
It's never just about the rings. By that argument Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson are better QB's than Dan Marino.

Your eyes and intelligence tell you that's not true.

We've seen QB's establish themselves over the years, and then eventually move on to another team. Some are successful, others not. But who had the best "next chapter" in NFL history?

The one rule I'll put out there is that it's required for the QB to have been established, skilled/successful, and over a period of time before they went to their second team. Yes, Drew Brees played for the Chargers for 4 years with above-average success to begin his career, but you can't count him in this discussion.

The candidate I think is most obvious is Peyton Manning. Everyone knows Manning was elite and the top QB in the league many years he played on the Colts. He played 13 seasons in Indianapolis, earned 4 MVP's, before a neck surgery caused the team to hedge their bets and move on with Andrew Luck as the new stud QB.

Manning then went to Denver, where there was MAJOR doubt he would be able to recapture his elite form. He did that and more, putting up seasons such as:

His last year he was crippled and injured, and only played in 10 games, with 9 TD's and a shocking 17 INT's. His body clearly let him down. But in his second stint in Denver, he put up all-time great numbers and won a 5th MVP (should have won in 2012 too).

Brett Favre to Minnesota

Steve Young?

Brett Favre to Minnesota

drew breeze was a good charger and a great saint.

billy kilmer won a super bowl with the redskins didn;t he? his third team.

baker mayfield might be a current member of this list.

many on this list might have overcome a severe injury between gigs.

The big names have been stated. I’ll go with Kurt Warner.

His professional career is an incredible story. And he found huge success on two different teams.

Just goes to show you that the scouts are not infallible.

Tampa was his first stint and it was a disaster. If we are talking 2nd stint vs 1st his has to be the biggest improvement.
Ah yes I forgot he was TB.

I’m not talking about biggest improvement, I’m talking about the best established QB who went to another team, and who had the best “second career” per se

Ah yes I forgot he was TB.

I’m not talking about biggest improvement, I’m talking about the best established QB who went to another team, and who had the best “second career” per se
Has to be Manning doesnt it? SB's and MVP's on 2 different teams.

Brett Favre to Minnesota

Rodgers will still earn that $37.5 million for his very brief time on the field. Here's a breakdown of how much Rodgers will get paid this year for everything he did with the team during the season:

• In terms of actual game time, Rodgers played for a total of 1 minute and 34 seconds before the clock was stopped following his injury, or 94 seconds total. That means he will be paid about $399,000 per second of game time he saw, or nearly $24 million for that first minute alone.
  • If the time he spent on the sideline before the Jets got their first possession counts, Rodgers will make just under $154,000 per second (150 of those seconds was spent on the sideline while the Bills were on offense).
  • Per snap, Rodgers will make $9,375,000 before he was injured. The four snaps included a running play, an incomplete pass, a defensive holding call and a sack.
  • Rodgers made just one official pass attempt before his injury, meaning he will earn $37.5 million for that one throw, which went incomplete. He did attempt another pass to Tyler Conklin, but the referees called a defensive holding penalty on the Bills, negating what would've been another incompletion.
  • Rodgers was sacked for a loss of 10 yards. That means for every yard lost, Rodgers earned $3.75 million.

Y.A. Tittle came to mind after eliminating a couple of players that didn't fit the criteria of being established on their prior team(s). Guys such as Daryl Lamonica and Lenny Dawson.

Going to Tittle's stats:
49'ers: 10 years, 16,016 yards, 108 TD's and 134 interceptions.
Giants (which I remember him from) 4 years: 10,439 yards, 96 TD's, and 68 interceptions.

Rodgers will still earn that $37.5 million for his very brief time on the field. Here's a breakdown of how much Rodgers will get paid this year for everything he did with the team during the season:

• In terms of actual game time, Rodgers played for a total of 1 minute and 34 seconds before the clock was stopped following his injury, or 94 seconds total. That means he will be paid about $399,000 per second of game time he saw, or nearly $24 million for that first minute alone.
  • If the time he spent on the sideline before the Jets got their first possession counts, Rodgers will make just under $154,000 per second (150 of those seconds was spent on the sideline while the Bills were on offense).
  • Per snap, Rodgers will make $9,375,000 before he was injured. The four snaps included a running play, an incomplete pass, a defensive holding call and a sack.
  • Rodgers made just one official pass attempt before his injury, meaning he will earn $37.5 million for that one throw, which went incomplete. He did attempt another pass to Tyler Conklin, but the referees called a defensive holding penalty on the Bills, negating what would've been another incompletion.
  • Rodgers was sacked for a loss of 10 yards. That means for every yard lost, Rodgers earned $3.75 million.
I say good for him. Injuries are part of the game but he’s proven to be such an elite QB that he gets the benefits of it.

This is a flex for Rodgers, not a shot at him

I say good for him. Injuries are part of the game but he’s proven to be such an elite QB that he gets the benefits of it.

This is a flex for Rodgers, not a shot at him
It’s hard to disagree except he really really wants to win another superbowl. He’s already got enough money for two people. If he could only come out of the closest.

It’s hard to disagree except he really really wants to win another superbowl. He’s already got enough money for two people. If he could only come out of the closest.
You’re the one who brought up money. Accomplishments are different, but a major injury pretty much washes away blame from being held “accountable” in that department

Is it just you, like so many leftists, just hate Aaron Rodgers, and even if it doesn’t make complete sense, you’ll find a way to try to take shots at him?

That’s probably it, right?

Forum List

Back