What was your best sport as a kid ??

One of my brothers was in the soap box derby 3 years and raced motocross until he joined the
Marines. My other brother only played soccer, but he has an aerospace engineering degree from
Ga Tech and masters from J, Hopkins.

I played baseball, football, tennis, was a good ice skater
and not bad at snow skiiing. And jet skiing. There is nothing like jet skiing in the ocean -- jumping waves --
180 @ the top and coming back down is insane.

Last edited:
Best was grappling, I impressed my coaches in high school. Base ball I love and had pretty good pitching style. But coach said not enough power and speed. I will put hunting in there with grappling . I could not participate in organized sports because I worked.
My best day in sports I gave my coaches best national ranked wrestler all he could handle on the mat and was out weighed by 50 pounds. I was 5'11'' 125 lbs at 17 years old. My big victory was the only one in gym class that climbed the rope to the top of the gym. Varsity boys got miffed :cool:
5-11 is very tall back in those days !!
Why was your body weight so light.

One of my brothers was in the soap box derby 3 years and raced motocross until he joined the
Marines. My other brother only played soccer, but he has an aerospace engineering degree from

and not bad at snow skiiing. And jet skiing. There is nothing like jet skiing in the ocean -- jumping waves --
Your older bro seems like a “ big brain “

If I did it over
I would still pick tennis
I would only do wrestling if they had a big and popular program

I was told by many that I was the missing middle piece the tennis team needed to win a state championship
They had this non athletic Jew that was playing 4 singles and losing every damn match

I lived in Miami at that time and was a darn good ice skater too!

Best was grappling, I impressed my coaches in high school. Base ball I love and had pretty good pitching style. But coach said not enough power and speed. I will put hunting in there with grappling . I could not participate in organized sports because I worked.
My best day in sports I gave my coaches best national ranked wrestler all he could handle on the mat and was out weighed by 50 pounds. I was 5'11'' 125 lbs at 17 years old. My big victory was the only one in gym class that climbed the rope to the top of the gym. Varsity boys got miffed :cool:
5-11 is very tall back in those days !!
Why was your body weight so light.

Not so light for High School
I was 6’2 and weighed 135

I ran track and cross country

My worts sports were baseball and basketball
I can’t catch . I can’t throw . I can’t shoot and I can’t dribble

You see why I am the only tennis poster here

No you're not. I dig tennis. It's the lateral movement.

My favorite sport was baseball but what I was best at was football. Launch a ball into the air anywhere, and I got it.
Did you play HS football ?

No. Played around the neighborhood.
Hated high school. Hated every school. Hate hate hate. :death:
Hmmm...

In school it was girls softball. Everytime they stuck me in a team I made sure my team lost. I laughed at them all the time. No matter how well they played they would always lose. They were powerless and helpless
And you never got the mental health services you needed.

Wrestling was a great sport for the little guys like yourself, because of the weight limits.

Football and basketball really give an advantage to the big guys. I weighed 260 as a senior in high school, I don't think you'd want to be opposite me in football.
There are higher weights in wrestling as well. Plenty of big guys.

Wrestling was a great sport for the little guys like yourself, because of the weight limits.

Football and basketball really give an advantage to the big guys. I weighed 260 as a senior in high school, I don't think you'd want to be opposite me in football.
There are higher weights in wrestling as well. Plenty of big guys.

Sure.

But the bigger guys have more of an option to do football and basketball- that the small guys don't. Really reduces the talent pool for wrestling as so many of those guys are on the line instead of in the ring.

Forum List

Back