What to do with the USPS?

Second stupidest comment of the entire week

The reality is that people no longer need the post office like they used to

The USPS is a quasi-government service that is run as a business with unrealistic expections imposed by Congress

The USPS is a quasi-government service that is run as a business with unrealistic expections imposed by Congress

I like getting my paper mail. The internet is just not reliable enough. I don't mind the post office. I think they should stop delivering mail on Saturdays though. There is no need for that. Five days a week of mail delivery is plenty.

Recently, my computer was infected with some malware. I was having a very difficult time accessing my e-mail or doing much of anything with my computer. Thankfully, I've done a few scans and I changed some settings, and things seem to working fine now, but who knows who could have accessed some of my personal files? Thankfully, I don't use this computer to do anything really important online. This one is just for play! :) Now if that had happened to my work computer, yikes!!

I would create jobs and educational internships for Veterans....

The postal service has employed a large percentage of veterans for many decades.

Yes, but were the Veterans in charge of making sure that limits of Constitutional govts were applied and enforced?

The Houston police have all taken oaths to enforce the Constitution
yet they will tell you they have gotten mixed messages and opposite orders
given by the City of Houston as their employer.

This creates a political "Conflict of Interest"
where the employer/management has their own self-interests and agenda
that is imposed first over the police or military officers including the Constitutional oaths
they pledged to enforce, such as equal protection of the laws and redressing grievances
instead of skirting them under the rug for expedience and convenience at taxpayers' expense.

I like getting my paper mail. The internet is just not reliable enough. I don't mind the post office. I think they should stop delivering mail on Saturdays though. There is no need for that. Five days a week of mail delivery is plenty.

I work two jobs and depend on my PO Box and minimal staff being there on Saturday in case there are packages held
that don't fit in the lock boxes. Every station could have its own policy depending on local demand
if this were managed on that level. Who says that all the policies have to be uniform.
Same problem with public schools. if the local communities had more direct ownership,
control and input, then each program could reflect and represent the people they serve and keep it locally
and democratically inclusive. Only keep the statewide or federal policies for general points that all the public
agrees on are necessary for public education; and localize the rest instead of forcing one size fits all on everyone.

I work two jobs and depend on my PO Box and minimal staff being there on Saturday in case there are packages held
that don't fit in the lock boxes. Every station could have its own policy depending on local demand
if this were managed on that level. Who says that all the policies have to be uniform.
Same problem with public schools. if the local communities had more direct ownership,
control and input, then each program could reflect and represent the people they serve and keep it locally
and democratically inclusive. Only keep the statewide or federal policies for general points that all the public
agrees on are necessary for public education; and localize the rest instead of forcing one size fits all on everyone.

I wouldn't have a problem with that either, handling things on the local level. It's true that the local community would care more for their local service providers than the federal government. I think the federal government creates more red tape than they are helpful. Lol.

Britain recently sold off The Royal Mail.

So far, so good but let's give it a year and then have a look at whether it's something that should be done here.
my daughter in-law is British....when she sends a letter or card back home it takes up to 3 weeks to get there.....every time.....

if you were a carrier you would not think that.....every Monday would be fucked.....and then if there is a Monday holiday.....Tuesday would fuck x 2.....

if you were a carrier you would not think that.....every Monday would be fucked.....and then if there is a Monday holiday.....Tuesday would fuck x 2.....

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. Other people manage on a 5-day work week.

Well? Why are mail carriers so special that they need to work on Saturday too? How about cut out Saturday, and cut out some mail carriers? That would probably save a butt load of money.

ChrisL, you are not a USPS worker, so don't try to judge their job by your easy one. Not the same same.

I do agree with ChrisL that Saturday should be cut out, but both mgt and craft want those pay hours.

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. Other people manage on a 5-day work week.
Mail does not stop moving internally in the PO....it keeps moving and stops at the carriers case....so every Monday would be like a day after a Holiday....and if there actually is a Monday Holiday Tuesday would have 3 days worth of Mail to put up,load into an already too small truck.....during Christmas and Election times the amount of overtime needed to catch up may not make that cost effective....especially election mail....horrible stuff...

ChrisL, you are not a USPS worker, so don't try to judge their job by your easy one. Not the same same.

What makes you think my job is easy? What do I do for a living? :D
Hi ChrisL and JakeStarkey
I was agreeing with what Jake said that the USPS workers
need to be involved in those decisions, not outsiders who don't know the service demands.
Our public housing, public education and now health care policies are a mess
because policies are made by outside politics and not what works practically.
We can't have groups unchecked and voting whatever salaries or benefits/pensions they want,
but for the reforms needed, it just makes sense to listen to the workers in the field.
That hasn't been happening, but postal workers have struggled and not been heard
because decisions are made by politics and conflicting interests.

Same with the messes in public schools, where the policies that sound good
don't work as intended, and the ones that work require individualized attention
that can't always be mandated at the state level. state testing was supposed to
achieve one goal but ended up destroying the ability of teachers to teach in the classroom,
and the educational quality actually went down, where the focus of funding was to teach to those tests.
Just because it sounds good on the outside, doesn't mean that is going to achieve the goal in practice.
We need to listen to the real workers, real teachers, real police trying to make the services work
and quit funding the bureaucrats running these systems into the ground like a cash cow to get their share.
we can't keep punishing the workers because of the corruptocrats ruining the system.
Reward the workers who do know the best solutions, and let them share responsibility and credit for fixing it.

Mail does not stop moving internally in the PO....it keeps moving and stops at the carriers case....so every Monday would be like a day after a Holiday....and if there actually is a Monday Holiday Tuesday would have 3 days worth of Mail to put up,load into an already too small truck.....during Christmas and Election times the amount of overtime needed to catch up may not make that cost effective....especially election mail....horrible stuff...

Well that's something I didn't think of. There must be some kind of solution to that problem.

Forum List

Back