What to do with the USPS?

Mail does not stop moving internally in the PO....it keeps moving and stops at the carriers case....so every Monday would be like a day after a Holiday....and if there actually is a Monday Holiday Tuesday would have 3 days worth of Mail to put up,load into an already too small truck.....during Christmas and Election times the amount of overtime needed to catch up may not make that cost effective....especially election mail....horrible stuff...

Well that's something I didn't think of. There must be some kind of solution to that problem.
you would have to stop the mail flow every Friday where ever its at and move it again when work resumes Mon.....but Mail is time sensitive and Federal law keeps it moving...the clerks in the Mail processing part of the PO work 7 days a week,24 hours a day 365 days a year.....3 shifts....mail mostly moves from 5 in the afternoon to around 5:am....the new Machines that Graumen built for this are amazing...

That's one reason why Emily's idea is so good. Leave running local post offices to the local government. They can have the hours, etc., that are necessary to serve their particular community instead of having to go by federal guidelines. Like Emily says, when the feds are involved, it's always "one size fits all" kind of logic when some communities are going to be larger and require more and some will be smaller and require less.

Check this out.

Postal Service Financial Problems 10 Things They Don t Want You To Know
lots of that is bullshit.....the PO has never laid off anyone yet it said postal employees are being laid off in droves....plus the part about fed-x and ups and about outsiders sorting the mail.....Fed-x and UPS and the PO have agreements where they help each other....they all are making out on the deal....
Yes, the post office has laid-off mail carriers before. I have a friend that got laid-off in Alabama.
then he wasnt a career employee...they have never laid off a career employee....what kind of carrier was he/she?....if a rural carrier that is a whole different ball game....

Well that's something I didn't think of. There must be some kind of solution to that problem.
you would have to stop the mail flow every Friday where ever its at and move it again when work resumes Mon.....but Mail is time sensitive and Federal law keeps it moving...the clerks in the Mail processing part of the PO work 7 days a week,24 hours a day 365 days a year.....3 shifts....mail mostly moves from 5 in the afternoon to around 5:am....the new Machines that Graumen built for this are amazing...

That's one reason why Emily's idea is so good. Leave running local post offices to the local government. They can have the hours, etc., that are necessary to serve their particular community instead of having to go by federal guidelines. Like Emily says, when the feds are involved, it's always "one size fits all" kind of logic when some communities are going to be larger and require more and some will be smaller and require less.

Check this out.

lots of that is bullshit.....the PO has never laid off anyone yet it said postal employees are being laid off in droves....plus the part about fed-x and ups and about outsiders sorting the mail.....Fed-x and UPS and the PO have agreements where they help each other....they all are making out on the deal....
Yes, the post office has laid-off mail carriers before. I have a friend that got laid-off in Alabama.
then he wasnt a career employee...they have never laid off a career employee....what kind of carrier was he/she?....if a rural carrier that is a whole different ball game....
Yes, a rural carrier.

It was reported recently that the US Postal Service lost over $700 million last year on increased revenues. How does this business recover to at least a breakeven?

Privatize?

Bankruptcy so employees can be paid less?

Cost of stamps reflects actual costs?

One or more of the above?

Obama is prolly trying to figure a way to close it, so all those employees will be out of work and on the dole. Sheep to the slaughter. Oh wait! He is trying to keep the Dems in power for `16, so mebbe he will just keep it open as the American postal workers labor union (APWU) representing over 200,000 employees and retirees of the USPS will still be paid and go to the polls in `16.

I stuck this in general discussion, hoping politics would not be a big part of the conversation. Thanks everyone for keeping it on topic, nice job. I forgot we had Harry around these parts. Good to have someone who's been there in the mix.
biggrin.gif
......its too bad we dont still have Meister around he is another who has been there.....

I've been there.
what years?.........

Only a few years back in the early 90s.

I do agree with ChrisL that Saturday should be cut out, but both mgt and craft want those pay hours.
its still a 40 hour work week....Saturday or not....
With less workers, yes?
yes much less.....but sat or not you still will work 40 hours....

That's kind of like my job too. I have to work in a Saturday in my 40-hour work week. Kind of sucks actually. :D I miss my 2-day weekends.
i liked the rotating days off i had,get off during the week when everyone else is working plus because it rotates you get a 3 day weekend every 5 weeks....

That's great. I don't get that. I have to work 40 hours and include some hours on the weekend in there because I do work for hospitals. I also don't get holidays off unless I request it 30-45 days in advance. I do have PTO (paid time off) where I earn hours based upon either my lines typed or my hours, not really quite sure how that works, but I earn PTO to use whenever I need it, sick, doctors appointments, and even holidays I've requested off.

Honestly though, I'm ready for a career change because I've been doing this job for 11 years now and I'm quite tired of sitting there typing all day. I'd like to do something where I can get up and move about and something that is more interesting. :D I think I'm suffering from burn out or something. It's been really difficult being motivated for work lately. Lol.

ChrisL, apply at USPS and the private express companies as a carrier. You will work your butt off for decent pay. Or join the Army and go Airborne.

It was reported recently that the US Postal Service lost over $700 million last year on increased revenues. How does this business recover to at least a breakeven?

Privatize?

Keep subsidizing it. I've been using them for all of my life and have never had a problem with them. They lose money because the 'private' shippers don't have to deliver the same kind of mail, and merely skim the cream off while the USPS carries the cheap stuff, that's all. Many small businesses depend on them for survival, and closing it down will wipe out thousands upon thousands of small businesses. I don't want a mail service that works being replaced by some 'private' firm that will be subjected to tkaeovers by 'private equity' firms and then bankrupted, just because some right wing tards think their ideological nonsense actually works in real life.

Check this out.

Yes, a rural carrier.
they are independent contractors.....you would have to know why they did not renew his contract for the reason he no longer has a route....

I stuck this in general discussion, hoping politics would not be a big part of the conversation. Thanks everyone for keeping it on topic, nice job. I forgot we had Harry around these parts. Good to have someone who's been there in the mix.
biggrin.gif
......its too bad we dont still have Meister around he is another who has been there.....

I've been there.
what years?.........

Only a few years back in the early 90s.
you were there just before the big change......things are much different now.....no more getting done at 1 pm ...no more 2 hour lunches at the park....now you are lucky if you can do the route in 8....especially for the older guys...pretty soon the PO will be looking like UPS....not many carriers over 50-55....

its still a 40 hour work week....Saturday or not....
With less workers, yes?

That's kind of like my job too. I have to work in a Saturday in my 40-hour work week. Kind of sucks actually. :D I miss my 2-day weekends.
i liked the rotating days off i had,get off during the week when everyone else is working plus because it rotates you get a 3 day weekend every 5 weeks....

That's great. I don't get that. I have to work 40 hours and include some hours on the weekend in there because I do work for hospitals. I also don't get holidays off unless I request it 30-45 days in advance. I do have PTO (paid time off) where I earn hours based upon either my lines typed or my hours, not really quite sure how that works, but I earn PTO to use whenever I need it, sick, doctors appointments, and even holidays I've requested off.

Honestly though, I'm ready for a career change because I've been doing this job for 11 years now and I'm quite tired of sitting there typing all day. I'd like to do something where I can get up and move about and something that is more interesting. :D I think I'm suffering from burn out or something. It's been really difficult being motivated for work lately. Lol.
we got 10 holidays a year.....the clerks who work them get some nice premium pay....

With less workers, yes?

we got 10 holidays a year.....the clerks who work them get some nice premium pay....

Oops. Better be careful. Some people might say that's why the post office is going broke. :D

Seriously though, that sounds like a really good job.

Privatize?

Keep subsidizing it. I've been using them for all of my life and have never had a problem with them. They lose money because the 'private' shippers don't have to deliver the same kind of mail, and merely skim the cream off while the USPS carries the cheap stuff, that's all. Many small businesses depend on them for survival, and closing it down will wipe out thousands upon thousands of small businesses. I don't want a mail service that works being replaced by some 'private' firm that will be subjected to tkaeovers by 'private equity' firms and then bankrupted, just because some right wing tards think their ideological nonsense actually works in real life.
the USPS carries the cheap stuff
really?....i used to have a jewelry store on the route,used to get 3-4 Registered packages a day.....one day the jeweler showed me what i delivered.....a $25,000.00 diamond.... some cheap stuff....and you dont know what is in a package so how can you say "cheap stuff"?....if the package is Registered or Insured or Priority it contains something of value.....i have delivered computers,medical devices.....just like UPS....
. Many small businesses depend on them for survival, and closing it down will wipe out thousands upon thousands of small businesses.
it is said that there are 8 million jobs that would be affected if the PO was shut down.....the mail order and direct mail advertising business is pretty big...

Oops. Better be careful. Some people might say that's why the post office is going broke. :D

i hear ya,its always the workers,never the management and their salaries and benefits and the shitty job they do running the place and the amount of money they waste....just those dam Union people.....

i hear ya,its always the workers,never the management and their salaries and benefits and the shitty job they do running the place and the amount of money they waste....just those dam Union people.....

I blame the government, of course. :D Lol.

I blame the government, of course. :D Lol.
i blame Congress for not letting the ones they pay to run the place ....run the place.....

you were there just before the big change..........

It was on-going when I bolted.
yea a tiny bit with DPS mail.....they started getting that up to about 80% around 97......after 2000 is when the real shit came in.....started gearing up for FSM mail....that was introduced everywhere around 2010-11.....that was when the flats started being DPS't so to speak....Grauman developed a machine to do the flats that is like 70 yards long.....unbelievable how it works....does the job of a 100 clerks.....but as usual they were not getting the savings they thought they would get or the labor hours savings....

In a sick way, I'm glad I was there for old-fashioned racking of the mail and such. Of course, not so glad that I didn't bail after a few too many lifers told me "I started out just like you 30 years ago." I parked the LLV, sold everything I owned, and bought a one-way ticket to China. And that was that.

Forum List

Back