What to do with the USPS?

It was reported recently that the US Postal Service lost over $700 million last year on increased revenues. How does this business recover to at least a breakeven?

Privatize?

Bankruptcy so employees can be paid less?

Cost of stamps reflects actual costs?

One or more of the above?

Keep subsidizing it. I've been using them for all of my life and have never had a problem with them. They lose money because the 'private' shippers don't have to deliver the same kind of mail, and merely skim the cream off while the USPS carries the cheap stuff, that's all. Many small businesses depend on them for survival, and closing it down will wipe out thousands upon thousands of small businesses. I don't want a mail service that works being replaced by some 'private' firm that will be subjected to tkaeovers by 'private equity' firms and then bankrupted, just because some right wing tards think their ideological nonsense actually works in real life.
the USPS carries the cheap stuff
really?....i used to have a jewelry store on the route,used to get 3-4 Registered packages a day.....one day the jeweler showed me what i delivered.....a $25,000.00 diamond.... some cheap stuff....and you dont know what is in a package so how can you say "cheap stuff"?....if the package is Registered or Insured or Priority it contains something of value.....i have delivered computers,medical devices.....just like UPS....
. Many small businesses depend on them for survival, and closing it down will wipe out thousands upon thousands of small businesses.
it is said that there are 8 million jobs that would be affected if the PO was shut down.....the mail order and direct mail advertising business is pretty big...

I was referring to the everyday deliveries to peoples' homes and the like; and yes, that's the cheap stuff, local grocery ads, etc.

It was reported recently that the US Postal Service lost over $700 million last year on increased revenues. How does this business recover to at least a breakeven?

Privatize?

The USPS operates at a profit and does not consume tax dollars.

Learn first. Then post.

That's great. I don't get that. I have to work 40 hours and include some hours on the weekend in there because I do work for hospitals. I also don't get holidays off unless I request it 30-45 days in advance. I do have PTO (paid time off) where I earn hours based upon either my lines typed or my hours, not really quite sure how that works, but I earn PTO to use whenever I need it, sick, doctors appointments, and even holidays I've requested off.

Honestly though, I'm ready for a career change because I've been doing this job for 11 years now and I'm quite tired of sitting there typing all day. I'd like to do something where I can get up and move about and something that is more interesting. :D I think I'm suffering from burn out or something. It's been really difficult being motivated for work lately. Lol.
we got 10 holidays a year.....the clerks who work them get some nice premium pay....

Oops. Better be careful. Some people might say that's why the post office is going broke. :D

Seriously though, that sounds like a really good job.
i hear ya,its always the workers,never the management and their salaries and benefits and the shitty job they do running the place and the amount of money they waste....just those dam Union people.....

I blame the government, of course. :D Lol.
i blame Congress for not letting the ones they pay to run the place ....run the place.....

They are part of the government, so I don't like them either. Politicians suck.

Privatize?

Learn first. Then post.

Sorry Lone here's the article:

Record-high volume in holiday package deliveries wasn’t enough for the U.S. Postal Service to overcome its financial troubles last quarter, as the agency more than doubled its net loss from the same period in 2014.

Overall, the agency lost $754 million, despite a 4.3 percent increase in operating revenue compared with the first quarter of last year, according to the latest USPS financial statement.

Postal Service reports 754 million loss for first quarter - The Washington Post

Privatize?

I think we should put them in charge of the internet.

Privatize?

Learn first. Then post.

Record-high volume in holiday package deliveries wasn’t enough for the U.S. Postal Service to overcome its financial troubles last quarter, as the agency more than doubled its net loss from the same period in 2014.

Overall, the agency lost $754 million, despite a 4.3 percent increase in operating revenue compared with the first quarter of last year, according to the latest USPS financial statement.

754 million! :ack-1: I wish I could find it!

Privatize?

Learn first. Then post.

It's about $2.50-$3 a year per capita, i.e. next to nothing. See what Fed-Ex will charge you for daily delivery service of that kind, and get back to us.

Privatize?

Learn first. Then post.

From the article:

"Other drags included a congressionally mandated prepayment of retiree health benefits that cost the agency $1.4 billion and an $800 million increase in workers’ compensation expenses."

Learn first....then post.

Privatize?

Keep subsidizing it. I've been using them for all of my life and have never had a problem with them. They lose money because the 'private' shippers don't have to deliver the same kind of mail, and merely skim the cream off while the USPS carries the cheap stuff, that's all. Many small businesses depend on them for survival, and closing it down will wipe out thousands upon thousands of small businesses. I don't want a mail service that works being replaced by some 'private' firm that will be subjected to tkaeovers by 'private equity' firms and then bankrupted, just because some right wing tards think their ideological nonsense actually works in real life.
the USPS carries the cheap stuff
really?....i used to have a jewelry store on the route,used to get 3-4 Registered packages a day.....one day the jeweler showed me what i delivered.....a $25,000.00 diamond.... some cheap stuff....and you dont know what is in a package so how can you say "cheap stuff"?....if the package is Registered or Insured or Priority it contains something of value.....i have delivered computers,medical devices.....just like UPS....
. Many small businesses depend on them for survival, and closing it down will wipe out thousands upon thousands of small businesses.
it is said that there are 8 million jobs that would be affected if the PO was shut down.....the mail order and direct mail advertising business is pretty big...

I was referring to the everyday deliveries to peoples' homes and the like; and yes, that's the cheap stuff, local grocery ads, etc.
yea the cheap stuff that everyone wants a piece of....
rolleyes.gif

Privatize?

Learn first. Then post.

It's about $2.50-$3 a year per capita, i.e. next to nothing. See what Fed-Ex will charge you for daily delivery service of that kind, and get back to us.

That was a joke. They lost 754 million and I want to find it. Good Lord, I can't believe I have to explain such a simple joke! Der.

Privatize?

Learn first. Then post.

Breaking it down into a meanless number is really poor debating. Per capita has nothing to do with the USPS rates.

Privatize?

Learn first. Then post.

From the article:

"Other drags included a congressionally mandated prepayment of retiree health benefits that cost the agency $1.4 billion and an $800 million increase in workers’ compensation expenses."

Learn first....then post.

It has been mandated for a long time, your point is moot.

Just be honest, you guys want a free stamp stamp program. lol

Breaking it down into a meanless number is really poor debating. Per capita has nothing to do with the USPS rates.

I undersdtand; ideologues don't like stuff that provides context and scale. It always makes their sniveling look ridiculous.

Forum List

Back