What the heck? Disney in Florida is except from government?

All Disney had to do to keep their special status was do what they do best and entertain people while staying out of politics. Seems easy enough, right? Apparently not.

If Disney had simply decided not to politicize itself they would still be self governing, they wouldn't have a lot of people upset at them and not spending their money on Disney products and none of this would have happened.

All they had to do was not go woke, not force in gay stuff and so on. Basically all they had to do was keep doing what they had been doing since the 1920s.

It may not be much to them but in refuse to spend any money that benefits them. I even cancelled Hulu because Disney owns a piece of it.

What is Reedy Creek?​

Reedy Creek is the name for the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a special purpose district created by state law in May 1967 that gives The Walt Disney Company governmental control over the land in and around its central Florida theme parks. The district sits southwest of Orlando.

At the time, the land was little more than uninhabited pasture and swamp, according to Reedy Creek's website. With the special purpose district, Disney took over responsibility for providing municipal services like power, water, roads and fire protection -- but were also freed from dealing with legal red tape or paying taxes for services that benefited the broader public.

I know lots of libertarians who dream of a micronation that could operate on libertarian principles. How much grease did the Mouse have to apply to the state legislatures to get that?

Glad they are losing it.

This actually saves taxpayers money. The Reedy Creek Improvement District pays for everything rather than taxpayers. That means Disney. The fact is that most businesses do not need something like this for their business. It also may cost Florida tax dollars. If Disney is unable to update their park, then they will have fewer visitors. Florida relies solely on the sales tax for revenue.

If Disney had simply decided not to politicize itself they would still be self governing, they wouldn't have a lot of people upset at them and not spending their money on Disney products and none of this would have happened.

All they had to do was not go woke, not force in gay stuff and so on. Basically all they had to do was keep doing what they had been doing since the 1920s.

It may not be much to them but in refuse to spend any money that benefits them. I even cancelled Hulu because Disney owns a piece of it.

They exercised their free speech rights. Republicans believe in free speech rights for themselves but no one else.

not when it gives corporations more power,,
It is government that gives corporations their power in the first place. How else would they have it?

By allowing people to pool their money into a business and then not have any liability for the business that they own and operate other than those assets the put in the name of the corporation, they have free reign to take liability risks that no individual would take. So they make money. Money enough to buy off politicians.

End the special rights of non-liability for people who own corporations, and corporations have no more power than their owners.

If it turns out that the state of Florida is now on the hook for Disney's bonds, that is a perfect example of government giving too much power and taking away too much accountability from corporations.

If it turns out that the state of Florida is now on the hook for Disney's bonds, that is a perfect example of government giving too much power and taking away too much accountability from corporations.
it could also be a warning to other states to not do this type of thing,,

they will still be accountable if something bad happens,, and more so on the things like building requirements,, we can only wonder how much of it doesnt meet code requirements,,

What is Reedy Creek?​

Reedy Creek is the name for the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a special purpose district created by state law in May 1967 that gives The Walt Disney Company governmental control over the land in and around its central Florida theme parks. The district sits southwest of Orlando.

At the time, the land was little more than uninhabited pasture and swamp, according to Reedy Creek's website. With the special purpose district, Disney took over responsibility for providing municipal services like power, water, roads and fire protection -- but were also freed from dealing with legal red tape or paying taxes for services that benefited the broader public.

I know lots of libertarians who dream of a micronation that could operate on libertarian principles. How much grease did the Mouse have to apply to the state legislatures to get that?

Glad they are losing it.

Another crackpot does not impress anyone.
I take it from your protest without any proof to back it up you are mad that a corp. is loosing their power over the people,,

I remember the day you guys were against big corp. power,, how times have changed,,

I take it from your protest without any proof to back it up you are mad that a corp. is loosing their power over the people,,

I remember the day you guys were against big corp. power,, how times have changed,,

The only reason you cite him is because he says what you want to hear. Numerous attorneys, including a former Trump lawyer, believe Florida could lose for violating Disney's free speech rights.

If Disney clos s shop it will have zero effect. Another non issue dreamed up by the fake news.

If Disney clos s shop it will have zero effect. Another non issue dreamed up by the fake news.
If Disney closes shop Florida will lose it's ass! All of the international travel to the parks will go away. The hotels will be empty which means no tax revenue. Restaurants in the area will close due to lack of business, again killing tax revenue. The other tourist attractions will lose spillover customers and there goes more tax revenue.

How do you think Florida manages to operate without a state income tax? Tourist bucks! Disney drives the tourism machine in the state. Without it, Florida turns into Mississippi or Alabama with just a little worse weather in those states during the winter.

Pardon me for saying old timer, you REALLY did not think this though or you would not have made such a stupid statement.

Forum List

Back