What is the purpose of the NATO alliance?

Trump's point about Germany was spot on. Why should the U.S. be subsidizing Germany's defense against Russia when they turn around and PAY them Billions to buy energy from them essentially SUPPORTING Russia, and funding their military?

Eh, why does Germany need a 'defense' against Russia exactly?

And if they needed a defense I'm sure they could manage it themselves, allthough I'm not so sure that making the wehrmacht great again is a good idea

If Trump doesn't want to spend $$$ on the murican occupation force anymore then maybe it's a good idea to simply remove them

:alcoholic:

If they need defense from Russia, why are they making themselves dependent on Russia for energy?

It helps that our allies have some standardization in weapons, ammunition, etc. Our arms merchants have made a lot of money selling to our NATO allies. Our alliance has also helped to keep member states in line with us, increasing other trade. The alliance is a net positive, even though there is no longer a Soviet threat. Hopefully Trump doesn't isolate us from the rest of the world.

The MIC Elites want NATO to survive because they've transformed it from a defensive organization into an aggressor. NATO is now all over the world bombing nations that are absolutely no threat to Europe and the US. It's no longer adhering to its original charter.

Always remember, the MIC Elites need a Boogeyman to keep us in a permanent state of war. They're running out of credible threats, and that's why they're desperately trying to resurrect the Cold War with Russia. The reality is, the EU is made up of very wealthy Nuclear Power nations. They can defend themselves against anything Russia tries. So, it's time to scrap NATO and give US Taxpayers a much-earned break.

the Soviet thread is gone, so unless we are transferring the alliance to protection from other states and threats, what is it’s purpose?

I’ve heard claims that we transferred the protection from the Soviet’s to protection from Russia, but if Russia is a threat to NATO, why are member states undermining their security by getting energy from Russia?

Seriously, why Should we continue this alliance? How does it benefit us?
how can there be an alliance when 82% don't fulfill the deal? How is that an ally? please someone smarter than I explain how reneging on an ally is good.

the Soviet thread is gone, so unless we are transferring the alliance to protection from other states and threats, what is it’s purpose?

I’ve heard claims that we transferred the protection from the Soviet’s to protection from Russia, but if Russia is a threat to NATO, why are member states undermining their security by getting energy from Russia?

NATO allies are fighting along side us in Afghanistan. NATO allies are fighting in Syria.

Two places we have no business being in.
True, but because of the alliance, our NATO allies are there too. Since the start of NATO, the alliance nations have pitched in to help us and we haven't had to jump in to help them. The threat of a unified Europe and USA has been enough to deter another European war from happening.

There's a reason why NATO is trying to resurrect the Cold War with Russia. Folks should look into, and better understand what NATO is about these days. Here's a hint, it has to do with the MIC.

how can there be an alliance when 82% don't fulfill the deal? How is that an ally? please someone smarter than I explain how reneging on an ally is good.

That’s what I want to know. If Trump asking our allies to fulfill their commitments destroys our alliance did we ever really have one?

That’s what I want to know. If Trump asking our allies to fulfill their commitments destroys our alliance did we ever really have one?
pay up or we leave your countries.

They committed to do something by 2024, that is not good enough for Trump and he is now bashing them for not following his personal timeline.

If at word you agreed to complete a project by December how would you feel if a peer started to bash you because it was not done yet?

Pull them out! Bring home the TROOPS!

NATO allies are fighting along side us in Afghanistan. NATO allies are fighting in Syria.

that doesn't address what their purpose is.
Mutual defense. Aren't liberal democracies worth that anymore?

Against whom?
You don't recognize threats and enemies? Then perhaps we could reduce our military spending so we can finally have single payer healthcare.

The NATO alliance is intended to...

1. keep the Russians out of Europe

2. establish, maintain and strengthen military and cultural ties between Old Europe and Nova Europa (the US and Canada, mostly)

-------------

Myopic, unthinking, short-term hyperbole to the contrary notwithstanding, in the long run, if NATO did not exist, we would invent it.

Hold our allies feet to the fire and nudge 'em into taking an increased share of the burden? Sure. Absolutely. Righteous. Go for it.

Destroy our most valuable international relationships and alliances in the process? Nahhhh... not worth it... not even close.

Only short-sighted retro-brained Isolationist fools and simpletons - and unwitting Useful (to Russia) Idiots - believe otherwise.

How does Germany making energy deals with Russia help the alliance stop Russia encroachment into Europe?

How does asking our allies to step up and fully fund the alliance hurt the alliance?
There is very little daylight between us on these particular points, as witnessed by my line "Hold our allies feet to the fire..."

That stands.

So does the rest of the observation.

Pull them out! Bring home the TROOPS!
Fk them all! Another bunch of ungrateful pricks and pssies

It pretty much let’s the people we protect from harm to be assholes and not only skip out on the cost but give us a bunch of shit while we keep them safe.

Forum List

Back