Zone1 What is a Jew?

I find myself asking this question a lot lately.

There are lots of so-called Jews around, people claiming to be Jewish, yet they seem to be pretty ignorant of passages from the Hebrew Bible. Many of them today also promote Satanic lies and values, such as transgenderism, homosexuality, and abortion. How can one support these things and still call themselves a person of God? To be fair there are plenty of Christians doing this, and I call them out on that.

So what really is a Jew? What do they believe in? The modern day Jews don’t seem to have the same beliefs and rituals as they had over two thousand years ago. What changed? What is their belief about the afterlife and what happens when we die?

Firstly, they worship “the God of Abraham“, God who made a covenant with Abraham. Before that was the covenant with Noah. Also of course was those with Moses and David.

But what has changed since then?

Obviously someone did come along that radically changed things. He said their temple would be destroyed, and it was. But the Jews labeled him a heretic and blasphemer. The Jews called the followers of the one that did this a “cult”. When it became obvious this “cult” wasn’t going to just fade away, they supposedly had a council to “re-edit” the Hebrew Bible. Also later on the Jews came up with the Talmud, another “revision” of the religion.

So if any Jew is interested in talking about these things, let me know. I’d like to hear from you.
A Jew is someone whose mother is/was Jewish or who converted under acceptable auspices.

The variant understanding is that patrilineal descent is alse acceptable but this is not a textually based opinion, but a more recent development endorsed by certain non-Orthodox groups.

If your a priori belief is that certain core texts of Judaism are later revisions, and you are fixed in that read, then nothing I say will change your opinion. I happen to see the Christian texts as invalid and a later revision. Go figure.

Serving your fellow man isn't servitude.

their forgeries are -

"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me".

servitude to their 4th century book - the state religion of the roman empire - worshiping a false messiah narrative necessary for an individuals own spiritual wellbeing.

There are lots of so-called Jews around, people claiming to be Jewish, yet they seem to be pretty ignorant of passages from the Hebrew Bible. Many of them today also promote Satanic lies and values, such as transgenderism, homosexuality, and abortion. How can one support these things and still call themselves a person of God? To be fair there are plenty of Christians doing this, and I call them out on that.

So what really is a Jew? What do they believe in? The modern day Jews don’t seem to have the same beliefs and rituals as they had over two thousand years ago. What changed? What is their belief about the afterlife and what happens when we die?

Firstly, they worship “the God of Abraham“, God who made a covenant with Abraham. Before that was the covenant with Noah. Also of course was those with Moses and David.

Obviously someone did come along that radically changed things. He said their temple would be destroyed, and it was. But the Jews labeled him a heretic and blasphemer. The Jews called the followers of the one that did this a “cult”. When it became obvious this “cult” wasn’t going to just fade away, they supposedly had a council to “re-edit” the Hebrew Bible. Also later on the Jews came up with the Talmud, another “revision” of the religion.

So if any Jew is interested in talking about these things, let me know. I’d like to hear from you.
From my understanding, there are at least three possible definitions:

1) A person who can trace his lineage (DNA) back to the original tribe of Judah. It's a misnomer to call all the other 11 tribes "Jews" although there is an argument in favor of calling folks of the tribe of Benjamin, Jews.

2) Folks of any race who practice Judaism (a religion that traces back to the biblical Pharisees).

3) People who lived in or near the region known as Judea. These could be genetic or non-genetic "Jews." Similar to calling an Englishman who becomes a citizen of modern Israel and "Israeli."

Then, in about the 8th century A.D., a large group of folks living near the Mongolian Huns called the Khazars converted to Judaism, en masses, and collectively took on the title "Jews."

From my understanding, there are at least three possible definitions:

1) A person who can trace his lineage (DNA) back to the original tribe of Judah. It's a misnomer to call all the other 11 tribes "Jews" although there is an argument in favor of calling folks of the tribe of Benjamin, Jews.

2) Folks of any race who practice Judaism (a religion that traces back to the biblical Pharisees).

3) People who lived in or near the region known as Judea. These could be genetic or non-genetic "Jews." Similar to calling an Englishman who becomes a citizen of modern Israel and "Israeli."

Then, in about the 8th century A.D., a large group of folks living near the Mongolian Huns called the Khazars converted to Judaism, en masses, and collectively took on the title "Jews."
It’s funny how race and DNA have so much to do with it. Yet they are quick to label critics “racist”.

I am really more focused on the religious aspect. Their practices and beliefs have changed so much over time.

A Jew is someone whose mother is/was Jewish or who converted under acceptable auspices.

The variant understanding is that patrilineal descent is alse acceptable but this is not a textually based opinion, but a more recent development endorsed by certain non-Orthodox groups.

If your a priori belief is that certain core texts of Judaism are later revisions, and you are fixed in that read, then nothing I say will change your opinion. I happen to see the Christian texts as invalid and a later revision. Go figure.

hereditary idolatry not only is beyond illogical, religiously is a cancer within that society as all monarchical latitudes throughout histories varying societies has proven including its subliminal presence within all three desert religions.

moses missed that one as a forbidden commandment - paterfamilias.

hereditary idolatry not only is beyond illogical, religiously is a cancer within that society as all monarchical latitudes throughout histories varying societies has proven including its subliminal presence within all three desert religions.

moses missed that one as a forbidden commandment - paterfamilias.
That certainly is your opinion. Good luck with that.

Is matrilineal descent retroactive from the time of Ezra? If so the Jewishness of David and Solomon is questionable (Tamar).

their forgeries are -

servitude to their 4th century book - the state religion of the roman empire - worshiping a false messiah narrative necessary for an individuals own spiritual wellbeing.
Christian worship is serving fellow man as one serves oneself. That's the long and short of it.

Is matrilineal descent retroactive from the time of Ezra? If so the Jewishness of David and Solomon is questionable (Tamar).
Actually, it predates Ezra substantially. The template for conversion is traced to Ruth but there is discussion of it in biblical (5 books of Moses) contexts as well.

Actually, it predates Ezra substantially. The template for conversion is traced to Ruth but there is discussion of it in biblical (5 books of Moses) contexts as well.
How do you reconcile the gentile women in the genealogy of the Jewish patriarchs?

That's one I just finished reading but it doesn't answer my question.
Good point - you asked about the patriarchs and the article focuses on post Exodus. Before the revelation at Sinai there was no codified code of law that adherents were required to follow, nor was there a formal "religion" - there was a particular monotheistic belief and that's mostly it. There is, if course, more, but this reduced statement about the lack of a set of laws should be a start.

Edit - similarly, Jacob married sisters but that would later be outlawed.

Last edited:
that's your opinion - not the results rendered when stepping in front of a freight train ... somehow being in hebrew the right word must have been misunderstood.
What is my opinion? That what you said is your opinion? Or did you have something more significant to contribute? As to the Hebrew, did you want to continue this in Hebrew?

If the question is........"Are there still Jews existing today that claim they will always be God's chosen people?" Of course, obviously all Jews of all levels of Judaism from the Orthodox to the modern supposed progressive Jews of today claim that God would never abandon them as "THE CHOSEN".

What they ignore, clearly written in the Old Testament Text, is the fact that conditions were placed upon their being God's chosen people. "Now therefore, if you will obey My Voice (the voice of God) and keep My covenant, then you shall be a Special Treasure to ME (God), above all people; for all the earth is Mine." -- Ex. 19:5

What would happen if they failed to keep the covenant of Moses? God has never stated that Only Biblical Israel will remain God's chosen, there is no permanent "unconditional Election" reserved for the Jews only. The scriptures make it clear, what the Jews must expect if they continued breaking the righteous covenant of God, "Then I will sow her (election/chosen) in the earth, and I will have mercy on her who had not obtained mercy; then I will say to those who were not My people, 'You are My people!' And they shall say, "You are my God!" -- Hosea 2:23

The Apostle Paul, one of the most educated men in Jewish Law and Customs.....who studied under the feet of the highest ranking Jew of his day, "Gamaliel"....who was also responsible for the majority of the N.T. writings made it clear when he......in great detail referenced Hosea in relation to the Jews of his day......................

"As He (God) said also in Hosea: I (God) will call them My people, who were not My people and her beloved who was not beloved. And it shall come to pass in the place where it was said to them, 'You are not My people,' they shall be called the Sons of the Living God".....What shall we say then, That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith; But Israel, pursuing the Law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness. Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law (of Moses). For they (the Jews) have stumbled at that stumbling stone". -- Romans 9:25-26, 30-32. Jesus was and is that stumbling stone as the corner stone in the Kingdom of the N.T. covenant. -- 2 Peter 2:4-8 Jesus and is the only "Son of Man"......born of a woman, born under the law, tempted like men in all ways........yet lived up to the literal letter of the Law of Moses from cradle to grave, Jesus was a practicing Orthodox Jew. (Gal. 4:4, 2 Corn. 5:21)

In the "eyes" of God........through Faith, not works under the old law..........there is neither Jew nor Gentile/Greek, slave nor free, male nor female........all are of one faith and the elect of God through Christ Jesus and heir to the promise made to father Abraham who was promised to be the father of many nations. --- Gal. 3:28-29

Contained in the Old Testament is the prophecy of God.........describing the N.T. church. The Jews who were guilty of breaking God's laws.......would have their status of God's chosen taken from them because they failed to live up to the letter of the Law.....so God would bring a new covenant that would apply to the entire world.......a Covenant written on the heart of the believers though faith, instead of laws written on stone. (Jer. 31:31-34) The new covenant would be "unlike" the Old Covenant of Moses.

Regardless........"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God." -- Heb. 10:32 One must swallow his/her pride and search the scriptures for truth, as that is the only way that God speaks to us today. There was a time past when God spoke through prophets and holy men.....but today He speaks only through His Son whom He has granted all authority in heaven and on earth (Matt. 28:18-19, Heb. 1:1) Today we have the "perfect law of liberty". (James 1:25) The N.T revelations of Christ Jesus which appoints all those of Faith as priests of a royal priesthood. -- 1 Peter 2:9

Each person is tasked with working out His/Her own salvation through faith and grace. There is only 1 sin that cannot be forgiven through prayer and righteousness.........the unrepentant sin. -- Phil. 2:12-13, 1 John 1:9

Last edited:
If the question is........"Are there still Jews existing today that claim they will always be God's chosen people?" Of course, obviously all Jews of all levels of Judaism from the Orthodox to the modern supposed progressive Jews of today claim that God would never abandon them as "THE CHOSEN".

What they ignore, clearly written in the Old Testament Text, is the fact that conditions were placed upon their being God's chosen people. "Now therefore, if you will obey My Voice (the voice of God) and keep My covenant, then you shall be a Special Treasure to ME (God), above all people; for all the earth is Mine." -- Ex. 19:5

What would happen if they failed to keep the covenant of Moses? God has never stated that Only Biblical Israel will remain God's chosen, there is no permanent "unconditional Election" reserved for the Jews only. The scriptures make it clear, what the Jews must expect if they continued breaking the righteous covenant of God, "Then I will sow her (election/chosen) in the earth, and I will have mercy on her who had not obtained mercy; then I will say to those who were not My people, 'You are My people!' And they shall say, "You are my God!" -- Hosea 2:23

The Apostle Paul, one of the most educated men in Jewish Law and Customs.....who studied under the feet of the highest ranking Jew of his day, "Gamaliel"....who was also responsible for the majority of the N.T. writings made it clear when he......in great detail referenced Hosea in relation to the Jews of his day......................

"As He (God) said also in Hosea: I (God) will call them My people, who were not My people and her beloved who was not beloved. And it shall come to pass in the place where it was said to them, 'You are not My people,' they shall be called the Sons of the Living God".....What shall we say then, That Gentiles, who did not pursue righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness of faith; But Israel, pursuing the Law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness. Why? Because they did not seek it by faith, but as it were, by the works of the law (of Moses). For they (the Jews) have stumbled at that stumbling stone". -- Romans 9:25-26, 30-32. Jesus was and is that stumbling stone as the corner stone in the Kingdom of the N.T. covenant. -- 2 Peter 2:4-8 Jesus and is the only "Son of Man"......born of a woman, born under the law, tempted like men in all ways........yet lived up to the literal letter of the Law of Moses from cradle to grave, Jesus was a practicing Orthodox Jew. (Gal. 4:4, 2 Corn. 5:21)

In the "eyes" of God........through Faith, not works under the old law..........there is neither Jew nor Gentile/Greek, slave nor free, male nor female........all are of one faith and the elect of God through Christ Jesus and heir to the promise made to father Abraham who was promised to be the father of many nations. --- Gal. 3:28-29

Contained in the Old Testament is the prophecy of God.........describing the N.T. church. The Jews who were guilty of breaking God's laws.......would have their status of God's chosen taken from them because they failed to live up to the letter of the Law.....so God would bring a new covenant that would apply to the entire world.......a Covenant written on the heart of the believers though faith, instead of laws written on stone. (Jer. 31:31-34) The new covenant would be "unlike" the Old Covenant of Moses.

Regardless........"It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God." -- Heb. 10:32 One must swallow his/her pride and search the scriptures for truth, as that is the only way that God speaks to us today. There was a time past when God spoke through prophets and holy men.....but today He speaks only through His Son whom He has granted all authority in heaven and on earth (Matt. 28:18-19, Heb. 1:1) Today we have the "perfect law of liberty". (James 1:25) The N.T revelations of Christ Jesus which appoints all those of Faith as priests of a royal priesthood. -- 1 Peter 2:9

Each person is tasked with working out His/Her own salvation through faith and grace. There is only 1 sin that cannot be forgiven through prayer and righteousness.........the unrepentant sin. -- Phil. 2:12-13, 1 John 1:9

I certainly agree with this, but what I am asking for is what is a Jew in the modern day.

Jews in general seem to be very ignorant of Jesus, the NT, and in some cases their own Hebrew Bible. I’d like to hear an explanation of why modern Judaism is so different than two thousand years ago.

Forum List

Back