Visiting NYC in a few Weeks

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Need some on-site intel:

We’ll be heading up the Hudson River Valley and visiting West Point on one of the trips.

I see that there are multiple roads to take that all seem to wind up in the same area:

Can anyone compare/contrast the Taconic Parkway, I 87, and State Highway 9? Looks like 87 and 9 are the ones to take if you’re going to make stops along the way up to Hudson; the other seems to be the “express route”.

Any stunning insights into NYC we should look at

Thanks,

Were I to make a trip to NYC, I'd have to make a night trip to The Great White Way, just to see the lights on the marquees, and a visit to the Statue of Liberty.

But, not being a democrat, I have no compulsion to pay homage to their holy city.

Go out to eat at any of the following:
  • Chef’s Table at Brooklyn
  • Eleven Madison Park -- This one is always fun because it's a tasting menu and it's always only what's most freshly available that day.
  • Jean-Georges
  • Per Se
  • Masa
  • Le Bernardin
  • Benoit -- my current fav
Call for reservations today.

Go to Le Bain in the evening. Alternatively, Dream Downtown has two great options: Electric Room and PHD. Between them I prefer the Room, but PHD is nice when I've got guests I'm showing around. My kids like Avenue.

• Eleven Madison Park -- This one is always fun because it's a tasting menu and it's always only what's most freshly available that day.
  • Jean-Georges
  • Per Se
  • Masa
  • Le Bernardin

Go to Le Bain in the evening. Alternatively, Dream Downtown has two great options: Electric Room and PHD. Between them I prefer the Room, but PHD is nice when I've got guests I'm showing around. My kids like Avenue.

“CHEF’S TABLE AT BROOKLYN”? Is that the name of the place?

Thanks . Any opinion on the the road up to Hudson?

Were I to make a trip to NYC, I'd have to make a night trip to The Great White Way, just to see the lights on the marquees, and a visit to the Statue of Liberty.

But, not being a democrat, I have no compulsion to pay homage to their holy city.

Does politics have to permeate every facet of your life? pfft.

• Jean-Georges
  • Per Se
  • Masa
  • Le Bernardin

Yes, that is the name of the restaurant. It's basically a really good restaurant that seats patrons in a chicly austere meant to evoke in one's mind what it might be like to eat at a counter in the kitchen at a fine restaurant.

Memories of eating out:
Back in the old days, the days when dining out was part of what one did regularly as a member of the social set, regulars at a "white tablecloth" restaurant might on occasion show up unannounced when there is no available table in the dining room and one was yet genuinely famished. As a courtesy, the chef might once in a while (or more often if one was, outside of the eatery, genuinely friends with the chef) offer one a place at the staff table or at his table -- literally just a plain table where the chef planned menus, placed orders, etc. -- in the back of the kitchen.

(In the days of segregation, many a black ate in the kitchen at restaurants that wouldn't seat them in the dining room. A friend joked -- I think, he was joking -- black folks were from whom white chefs learned how to fry chicken and cook collard greens, and, most importantly for the business, how to turn "poor" cuts into the most profitable things on the menu. Have you ever had veal cheeks or pig ears? You should if you haven't.)

In other establishments, the chef's table was the table for two set right outside the dining room entrance to the kitchen. The table served the same purpose, of course, but unless they were "starving," paying "social" customers' never wanted to sit there, understandably, because of the noise and the traffic. One simply could not sit there and hold a conversation in the politely hushed tones appropriate to a restaurant.

Gourmands, restaurant critics and social climbers -- one had to start somewhere if one had to "climb" -- didn't mind. Indeed, it was rather customary that in consolation for taking such a dreadful table, or as an apology for seating one in the kitchen, the chef would bestow one with an amuse bouche or three over the course of the standard five course meal. On rarer occasions, one might be offered a complimentary bottle of wine -- typically a bottle a purveyor had left for evaluation -- that wasn't on the wine list if one routinely bought wine and was known to be a connoisseur.

For friends of the house or chef, sitting at the chef's table could become a real saporific adventure. That happened when, after being seated, one was asked something like, "What would you like this evening? We are out of crab tonight, but we have sole, mussels, scallops, lamb, veal, chicken, beef, and pork, or we could prepare a pasta or hearty soup using any of those things as the main, if you'd like." One'd choose a protein and leave everything else up to the chef. One was in for among the best dining experiences imaginable when that happened.

With critics, that little bit of"putting on the dog" like that bought the chef some benefit of the doubt, if you will, always useful in case something came out the kitchen that wasn't quite up to snuff. Moreover, back then, there was basically no such thing as a food critic who wasn't also a lush. LOL Remember what I said about the wine? Well libated critics write good reviews, even if only because they have at least enough integrity not to write something scathing about a meal they can barely remember. LOL

Regardless of how and why one found oneself at the chef's table, however, sitting there was always a treat for the tastebuds. Chefs are artists and they love to show off, but they can't do really do that for a whole restaurant of diners -- it's not cost or time effective for them to do so -- but in exchange for accepting the bad table and making it profitable, one got to sample a much more interesting assortment of the chef's talent.

Skipping forward some 30 or so years during which time large quantities of Americans became familiar with tapas, teppanyaki, sushi bars, and, of course, "suffering" at the chef's table, and, voila, we have tasting menu restaurants. Chef's Table at Brooklyn has a modern, swanky teppanyaki-sushi bar feel that invites socializing with others, which, as a business traveller who occasionally eats alone, it's a great place for doing that, though as all restaurants, it's best enjoyed with a friend, at CTB, ideally one with whom one won't trade business secrets or salacious gossip. I wouldn't recommend it for groups larger than three or four (reserve corner seats if there are four of you) due to the seating arrangements, however it's fine fine for couples dining out together but sort of separately.

Any opinion on the the road up to Hudson?

I'm sorry. I can't really say much at all about driving around the Hudson Valley. The most I've done are short car rides from Airhaven (just east of Poughkeepsie) to Poughkeepsie, Hyde Park and whatnot in the immediate area.

If you're of a mind to drive north of the Point, FDR's home and a Vanderbilt museum are in Hyde Park, which with its two lane roads and ubiquitous escarpments, the Hyde Park area offers one bucolically charming view after another. The Culinary Institute of America has a Hyde Park branch and it has a bevy of restaurants from which you may choose. All of that stuff is roughly an hour's drive north of The Point on US 9. (I'd say take US 9W to go north instead of 9 so you can avoid IBM. If Vasser is on your itinerary, however, may as well go with US 9.)

What's taking you to The Point, BTW? Going over Memorial Day weekend, by any chance? If so, congratulations to your Ring Knocker.

Have not been there since 1993. Good luck and do not drive.
there is no way I would drive in NYC. Nashville is bad enough lol
I thought it would be scary too, but after 13 years of commuting in Connecticut, I found NYC to be pretty much more of the same. The only hard part was not knowing the roads and which lane to be in when. If I went to NYC for a visit, I would never drive. Parking is impossible, anyway. The city has excellent public transportation. Take advantage of it.

Need some on-site intel:

We’ll be heading up the Hudson River Valley and visiting West Point on one of the trips.

I see that there are multiple roads to take that all seem to wind up in the same area:

Can anyone compare/contrast the Taconic Parkway, I 87, and State Highway 9? Looks like 87 and 9 are the ones to take if you’re going to make stops along the way up to Hudson; the other seems to be the “express route”.

Thanks,
Palisades Pkwy is the most scenic

Need some on-site intel:

Thanks,
I 87 is thruway/turnpike, divided highway.

Have not been there since 1993. Good luck and do not drive.
there is no way I would drive in NYC. Nashville is bad enough lol
I thought it would be scary too, but after 13 years of commuting in Connecticut, I found NYC to be pretty much more of the same. The only hard part was not knowing the roads and which lane to be in when. If I went to NYC for a visit, I would never drive. Parking is impossible, anyway. The city has excellent public transportation. Take advantage of it.

Far better is a car service. There are loads of them and they are relatively inexpensive if you book them for the week. The drivers know the various out of the way spots too (no doubt they are related to the proprietors!) so you get a better experience of the local flora and fauna.

Traffic is awful in Midtown and parking is outrageous. But New York is a great city.

Manhattan is safe. I've never once felt threatened there.

Harlem too, is nice.

• Jean-Georges
  • Per Se
  • Masa
  • Le Bernardin

Yes, that is the name of the restaurant. It's basically a really good restaurant that seats patrons in a chicly austere meant to evoke in one's mind what it might be like to eat at a counter in the kitchen at a fine restaurant.

Memories of eating out:
Back in the old days, the days when dining out was part of what one did regularly as a member of the social set, regulars at a "white tablecloth" restaurant might on occasion show up unannounced when there is no available table in the dining room and one was yet genuinely famished. As a courtesy, the chef might once in a while (or more often if one was, outside of the eatery, genuinely friends with the chef) offer one a place at the staff table or at his table -- literally just a plain table where the chef planned menus, placed orders, etc. -- in the back of the kitchen.

(In the days of segregation, many a black ate in the kitchen at restaurants that wouldn't seat them in the dining room. A friend joked -- I think, he was joking -- black folks were from whom white chefs learned how to fry chicken and cook collard greens, and, most importantly for the business, how to turn "poor" cuts into the most profitable things on the menu. Have you ever had veal cheeks or pig ears? You should if you haven't.)

In other establishments, the chef's table was the table for two set right outside the dining room entrance to the kitchen. The table served the same purpose, of course, but unless they were "starving," paying "social" customers' never wanted to sit there, understandably, because of the noise and the traffic. One simply could not sit there and hold a conversation in the politely hushed tones appropriate to a restaurant.

Gourmands, restaurant critics and social climbers -- one had to start somewhere if one had to "climb" -- didn't mind. Indeed, it was rather customary that in consolation for taking such a dreadful table, or as an apology for seating one in the kitchen, the chef would bestow one with an amuse bouche or three over the course of the standard five course meal. On rarer occasions, one might be offered a complimentary bottle of wine -- typically a bottle a purveyor had left for evaluation -- that wasn't on the wine list if one routinely bought wine and was known to be a connoisseur.

For friends of the house or chef, sitting at the chef's table could become a real saporific adventure. That happened when, after being seated, one was asked something like, "What would you like this evening? We are out of crab tonight, but we have sole, mussels, scallops, lamb, veal, chicken, beef, and pork, or we could prepare a pasta or hearty soup using any of those things as the main, if you'd like." One'd choose a protein and leave everything else up to the chef. One was in for among the best dining experiences imaginable when that happened.

With critics, that little bit of"putting on the dog" like that bought the chef some benefit of the doubt, if you will, always useful in case something came out the kitchen that wasn't quite up to snuff. Moreover, back then, there was basically no such thing as a food critic who wasn't also a lush. LOL Remember what I said about the wine? Well libated critics write good reviews, even if only because they have at least enough integrity not to write something scathing about a meal they can barely remember. LOL

Regardless of how and why one found oneself at the chef's table, however, sitting there was always a treat for the tastebuds. Chefs are artists and they love to show off, but they can't do really do that for a whole restaurant of diners -- it's not cost or time effective for them to do so -- but in exchange for accepting the bad table and making it profitable, one got to sample a much more interesting assortment of the chef's talent.

Skipping forward some 30 or so years during which time large quantities of Americans became familiar with tapas, teppanyaki, sushi bars, and, of course, "suffering" at the chef's table, and, voila, we have tasting menu restaurants. Chef's Table at Brooklyn has a modern, swanky teppanyaki-sushi bar feel that invites socializing with others, which, as a business traveller who occasionally eats alone, it's a great place for doing that, though as all restaurants, it's best enjoyed with a friend, at CTB, ideally one with whom one won't trade business secrets or salacious gossip. I wouldn't recommend it for groups larger than three or four (reserve corner seats if there are four of you) due to the seating arrangements, however it's fine fine for couples dining out together but sort of separately.

Any opinion on the the road up to Hudson?

I'm sorry. I can't really say much at all about driving around the Hudson Valley. The most I've done are short car rides from Airhaven (just east of Poughkeepsie) to Poughkeepsie, Hyde Park and whatnot in the immediate area.

If you're of a mind to drive north of the Point, FDR's home and a Vanderbilt museum are in Hyde Park, which with its two lane roads and ubiquitous escarpments, the Hyde Park area offers one bucolically charming view after another. The Culinary Institute of America has a Hyde Park branch and it has a bevy of restaurants from which you may choose. All of that stuff is roughly an hour's drive north of The Point on US 9. (I'd say take US 9W to go north instead of 9 so you can avoid IBM. If Vasser is on your itinerary, however, may as well go with US 9.)

What's taking you to The Point, BTW? Going over Memorial Day weekend, by any chance? If so, congratulations to your Ring Knocker.
Can't imagine wanting to eat at the chef's table anywhere. Sounds like the food is great, but having worked in some actual kitchens, the last thing I'd want is to eat even great food in one. They're hot, noisy, full of screaming chefs. Yuck.

Forum List

Back