Virgin Mary

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
I am very interested in this..my new tagent because I cant figure this one out about her. You have myths and all.

[In the primitive ages there was a Gospel extant bearing this name, attributed to St. Matthew, and received as genuine and authentic by several of the ancient Christian sects. It is to be found in the works of Jerome, a Father of the Church, who flourished in the fourth century, from whence the present translation is made. His contemporaries, Epiphanius, Bishop of Salamis, and Austin, also mention a Gospel under this title. The ancient copies differed from Jerome's, for from one of them the learned Faustus, a native of Britain, who became Bishop of Riez, in Provence, endeavoured to prove that Christ was not the Son of God till after his baptism; and that he was not of the house of David and tribe of Judah, because, according to the Gospel he cited, the Virgin herself was not of this tribe, but of the tribe of Levi; her father being a priest of the name of Joachim. It was likewise from this Gospel that the sect of the Collyridians, established the worship and offering of manchet bread and cracknels, or fine wafers, as sacrifices to Mary, whom they imagined to have been born of a Virgin, as Christ is related in the Canonical Gospel to have been born of her. Epiphanius likewise cites a passage concerning the death of Zacharias, which is not in Jerome's copy, viz. "That it was the occasion of the death of Zacharias in the temple, that when he had seen a vision, he, through surprise, was willing to disclose it, and his mouth was stopped. That which he saw was at the time of his offering incense, and it was a man standing in the form of an ass. When he was gone out, and had a mind to speak thus to the people, Woe unto you, whom do ye worship? he who had appeared to him in the temple took away the use of his speech. Afterwards when he recovered it, and was able to speak, he declared this to the Jews, and they slew him. They add (viz. the Gnostics in this book), that on this very account the high-priest was appointed by their lawgiver (by God to Moses), to carry little bells, that whensoever he went into the temple to sacrifice, he, whom they worshipped, hearing the noise of the bells, might have time enough to hide himself; and not be caught in that ugly shape and figure."—The principal part of this Gospel is contained in the Protevangelion of James, which follows next in order.]

More at

I am very interested in this..my new tagent because I cant figure this one out about her. You have myths and all.
The first known complete copy of the Nativity of Mary (the one published in 1926) dates back to the fifth century, four hundred years after Mary and Jesus lived, and about a hundred years after New Testament Canon was established.

Some of the chapters in the Nativity of Mary date back to the second century, or over a hundred years after the two lived. Keep in mind, Mary was born a generation before Jesus.

While there is nothing wrong in forming a belief about these accounts, it should be noted that these stories began to emerge four to five generations after her birth. It may be well to keep in mind what stories you have been told about your own great-grandparents and great-great grandparents. I know of a few such stories about my own great-great grandparents, one of which is quite accurate, while the others, while retaining basic facts, passed on some serious mistakes over the generations.

Another fact that should be kept in mind is that serious scholars and historians look for more than one primary source in judging accuracy. Notice that we have four such sources for the Gospels accounting the life of Christ, but no other on the Nativity of Mary.

Also note that the author of the account had strong Christian leanings. Further, the account names Issaachar as High Priest at that time. There was no High Priest of that name. Issaachar was the name of one of Jacob and Leah's children--born well before the Temple was ever built. Issaachar is said to be one of the lost tribes of Israel, apparently known for its religious leanings. (This would have been before Aaron became a priest in Moses' day.)

The first known complete copy of the Nativity of Mary (the one published in 1926) dates back to the fifth century, four hundred years after Mary and Jesus lived, and about a hundred years after New Testament Canon was established.

Some of the chapters in the Nativity of Mary date back to the second century, or over a hundred years after the two lived. Keep in mind, Mary was born a generation before Jesus.

While there is nothing wrong in forming a belief about these accounts, it should be noted that these stories began to emerge four to five generations after her birth. It may be well to keep in mind what stories you have been told about your own great-grandparents and great-great grandparents. I know of a few such stories about my own great-great grandparents, one of which is quite accurate, while the others, while retaining basic facts, passed on some serious mistakes over the generations.

Another fact that should be kept in mind is that serious scholars and historians look for more than one primary source in judging accuracy. Notice that we have four such sources for the Gospels accounting the life of Christ, but no other on the Nativity of Mary.

Also note that the author of the account had strong Christian leanings. Further, the account names Issaachar as High Priest at that time. There was no High Priest of that name. Issaachar was the name of one of Jacob and Leah's children--born well before the Temple was ever built. Issaachar is said to be one of the lost tribes of Israel, apparently known for its religious leanings. (This would have been before Aaron became a priest in Moses' day.)

Thanks interesting, but I thought or read she was just 14 years old? I am really ticked off reading this one pastors sermon, everything was correct until he wrote she was the daughter of heli it doesn't say that in Luke 3

I hears from some "scholar" that the reason Joseph never got a piece until late was that they married when she was 12 -ish and it was customary not to jump it until after the "womans" second bleed. That dude was an old man when I was a pup. Probably born late 1800's-early 1900's

joseph knew exactly what ... she was pregnant, if she then was a virgin - then the story, smart 12 year old.

fits perfectly well with the rest of the 4th century book of fables, forgeries and capital enterprises.

Nothing good can come from talking disrespectfully about God's mother.

[In the primitive ages there was a Gospel extant bearing this name, attributed to St. Matthew, and received as genuine and authentic by several of the ancient Christian sects. It is to be found in the works of Jerome, a Father of the Church, who flourished in the fourth century, from whence the present translation is made. His contemporaries, Epiphanius, Bishop of Salamis, and Austin, also mention a Gospel under this title. The ancient copies differed from Jerome's, for from one of them the learned Faustus, a native of Britain, who became Bishop of Riez, in Provence, endeavoured to prove that Christ was not the Son of God till after his baptism; and that he was not of the house of David and tribe of Judah, because, according to the Gospel he cited, the Virgin herself was not of this tribe, but of the tribe of Levi; her father being a priest of the name of Joachim. It was likewise from this Gospel that the sect of the Collyridians, established the worship and offering of manchet bread and cracknels, or fine wafers, as sacrifices to Mary, whom they imagined to have been born of a Virgin, as Christ is related in the Canonical Gospel to have been born of her. Epiphanius likewise cites a passage concerning the death of Zacharias, which is not in Jerome's copy, viz. "That it was the occasion of the death of Zacharias in the temple, that when he had seen a vision, he, through surprise, was willing to disclose it, and his mouth was stopped. That which he saw was at the time of his offering incense, and it was a man standing in the form of an ass. When he was gone out, and had a mind to speak thus to the people, Woe unto you, whom do ye worship? he who had appeared to him in the temple took away the use of his speech. Afterwards when he recovered it, and was able to speak, he declared this to the Jews, and they slew him. They add (viz. the Gnostics in this book), that on this very account the high-priest was appointed by their lawgiver (by God to Moses), to carry little bells, that whensoever he went into the temple to sacrifice, he, whom they worshipped, hearing the noise of the bells, might have time enough to hide himself; and not be caught in that ugly shape and figure."—The principal part of this Gospel is contained in the Protevangelion of James, which follows next in order.]

More at
Mary represented the Holy mother.
In the beginning, God said let's make them in our own likeness. And Jesus said , "Your kingdom will come, and thy will be done on earth as the way it is done in heaven". So it is saying that God created us to be way that it is in heaven. Having a mother and a father and children. But in the Bible. The men in those days will not accept a woman to be above them. Paul tried very hard to make them to accept a woman as being someone of authority.
When Jesus was on the cross. He told His disciples that Mary is now to be considered as their mother, and they has taken her in as their mother. But some still had problem treating her with respect, because she was a woman.

In these verses below. That it sounds as if this spirit is very sensitive like a woman.

Isaiah 63:10 Yet they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit. So he turned and became their enemy and he himself fought against them.

Jeremiah 31:15 This is what the Lord says: “A voice is heard in Ramah, mourning and great weeping, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more.”

More at
In the beginning, God said let's make them in our own likeness. And Jesus said , "Your kingdom will come, and thy will be done on earth as the way it is done in heaven". So it is saying that God created us to be way that it is in heaven. Having a mother and a father and children. But in the Bible. The men in those days will not accept a woman to be above them. Paul tried very hard to make them to accept a woman as being someone of authority.
When Jesus was on the cross. He told His disciples that Mary is now to be considered as their mother, and they has taken her in as their mother. But some still had problem treating her with respect, because she was a woman.

In these verses below. That it sounds as if this spirit is very sensitive like a woman.

Isaiah 63:10 Yet they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit. So he turned and became their enemy and he himself fought against them.

Jeremiah 31:15 This is what the Lord says: “A voice is heard in Ramah, mourning and great weeping, Rachel weeping for her children and refusing to be comforted, because they are no more.”

No, Jesus told John (the beloved Apostle) to take care of His mother like she was his (John's) own. In this was Jesus was looking out for this woman. It must also be realized that John was likely a cousin of Jesus.

Last edited:
It was foretold the Messiah would be born of a virgin at Isaiah 7:14 LXX which is quoted here:

Matthew 1:18-25 (NW)
But this is how the birth of Jesus Christ took place. During the time his mother Mary was promised in marriage to Joseph,+ she was found to be pregnant by holy spirit+ before they were united. 19 However, because her husband Joseph was righteous and did not want to make her a public spectacle,* he intended to divorce her* secretly.+ 20 But after he had thought these things over, look! Jehovah’s angel appeared to him in a dream, saying: “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take your wife Mary home, for what has been conceived in her is by holy spirit.+ 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to name him Jesus,+ for he will save his people from their sins.”+ 22 All of this actually came about to fulfill what was spoken by Jehovah through his prophet, saying: 23 “Look! The virgin will become pregnant and will give birth to a son, and they will name him Im·manʹu·el,”+ which means, when translated, “With Us Is God.”+

24 Then Joseph woke up from his sleep and did as the angel of Jehovah had directed him, and he took his wife home. 25 But he did not have sexual relations with her until she gave birth to a son,+ and he named him Jesus.+

NWref. footnote on Matthew 1:23 -

“The virgin.” Gr., he par·theʹnos; J22(Heb.), ha·ʽal·mahʹ.

Last edited:

More at

No, Jesus told John (the beloved Apostle) to take care of His mother like she was his (John's) own. In this was Jesus was looking out for this woman. It must also be realized that John was likely a cousin of Jesus.

I guess John's mother who was a follower of Jesus was very happy to of heard that her son isn't her son anymore.

obama2.jpg

Acts 6:1 In those days when the number of disciples was increasing, the Hellenistic Jews among them complained against the Hebraic Jews because their widows were being overlooked in the daily distribution of food.

1 Corinthians 7:15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

It was foretold the Messiah would be born of a virgin at Isaiah 7:14 LXX which is quoted here:

Matthew 1:18-25 (NW)
But this is how the birth of Jesus Christ took place. During the time his mother Mary was promised in marriage to Joseph,+ she was found to be pregnant by holy spirit+ before they were united. 19 However, because her husband Joseph was righteous and did not want to make her a public spectacle,* he intended to divorce her* secretly.+ 20 But after he had thought these things over, look! Jehovah’s angel appeared to him in a dream, saying: “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take your wife Mary home, for what has been conceived in her is by holy spirit.+ 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to name him Jesus,+ for he will save his people from their sins.”+ 22 All of this actually came about to fulfill what was spoken by Jehovah through his prophet, saying: 23 “Look! The virgin will become pregnant and will give birth to a son, and they will name him Im·manʹu·el,”+ which means, when translated, “With Us Is God.”+

24 Then Joseph woke up from his sleep and did as the angel of Jehovah had directed him, and he took his wife home. 25 But he did not have sexual relations with her until she gave birth to a son,+ and he named him Jesus.+

NWref. footnote on Matthew 1:23 -

“The virgin.” Gr., he par·theʹnos; J22(Heb.), ha·ʽal·mahʹ.
24 Then Joseph woke up from his sleep ...
:eusa_whistle:

is there ever throughout that book an instance of multiple witnesses to such conversations - is there a reason for the subject matter, "son of god" to be verified through second hand accounts ...

Nothing good can come from talking disrespectfully about God's mother.
how about writing a book of forgeries involving the Almighty ... as the pretext for a select worldview used against others.

Forum List

Back