How Lucky Are Humans, and the World, for that Matter?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
That we're able to exist even now, at this instant that I type this.

Based on the belief of atheists, this earth, has been in existence for millions, and millions of years now, starting w/of course, the Big Bang.

That there's all types of gargantuan stars, suns, meteors, planets etc, all around the universe swirling around and that could ultimately, at one point smash in to us.

Remember, that's what they claimed happened to make the dinosaurs go extinct and caused the Ice Age. A giant meteor that all but destroyed all life on earth...in an instant.

So that was millions of years ago, aren't we due for another one right about now?

What's stopping us from being destroyed by a super meteor at any point? And how do you feel w/the knowledge that this can happen at any instant?

I'd like to hear from our resident atheists on this.

What are your thoughts?

I'm NOT an atheist, I have a strong faith in God. You're correct in saying we are blessed. we truly are. Our planet, in that it's been free of any cataclysmic events caused by OTHER objects hitting it, with the exception of when a large sized chunk of space debris hit it and took out the dinosaurs. And we humans are extremely lucky that we're the most intelligent species and at the top of the food chain. Just incredibly good luck in so many ways.

Based on the belief of atheists, this earth, has been in existence for millions, and millions of years now, starting w/of course, the Big Bang.

That there's all types of gargantuan stars, suns, meteors, planets etc, all around the universe swirling around and that could ultimately, at one point smash in to us.

Remember, that's what they claimed happened to make the dinosaurs go extinct and caused the Ice Age. A giant meteor that all but destroyed all life on earth...in an instant.

So that was millions of years ago, aren't we due for another one right about now?

What's stopping us from being destroyed by a super meteor at any point? And how do you feel w/the knowledge that this can happen at any instant?

What are your thoughts?
Are you OK?

What are your thoughts?
Okay, I don't believe in The Man Upstairs, although I have great respect for the beauty and magnificence of what Is.
So what's that got to do with being struck by a meteor? That confuses me.

What are your thoughts?
Since the planet hasn't had say, a gamma ray burster or a comet strike that would end species, lets call it even Steven.

I feel very lucky to be living in relative comfort and good health in possibly the greatest country in modern history. I'm not 'formally' religious but I do believe there was more than random chance that brought us here.

If a meteor struck now, that certainly would put an end to the climate change debate. Same if Yellowstone blows. Game over.
Nature is far more destructive than puny humans.
Neither the believer or non believer have the power to alter that equation.

Okay, I don't believe in The Man Upstairs, although I have great respect for the beauty and magnificence of what Is.
How do you explain, or deal w/the issue of not being destroyed by some unlucky outside force, or that it might come at any time?

You're a Big Banger, right?

What are your thoughts?

Ummm, it's BILLIONS of years. Get an education.

...we humans are extremely lucky that we're the most intelligent species and at the top of the food chain...

If you were dropped off in the middle of the African safari, butt naked, just the way God made you, do you really believe you'd be at the top of the food chain? And how far do you think your intelligence would get you? All you have layin around are a bunch of rocks and sticks.

You've got about three seconds to grab a rock and widdle a spear...he's coming for ya, Bluz...

d30a65b6d488818b2c8690c7dfa7b117.gif

...we humans are extremely lucky that we're the most intelligent species and at the top of the food chain...

If you were dropped off in the middle of the African safari, butt naked, just the way God made you, do you really believe you'd be at the top of the food chain? And how far do you think your intelligence would get you? All you have layin around are a bunch of rocks and sticks.

You've got about three seconds to widdle a spear with a rock...he's coming for ya, Bluz...

??????????????????????????????????????

I'm NOT an atheist, I have a strong faith in God. You're correct in saying we are blessed. we truly are. Our planet, in that it's been free of any cataclysmic events caused by OTHER objects hitting it, with the exception of when a large sized chunk of space debris hit it and took out the dinosaurs. And we humans are extremely lucky that we're the most intelligent species and at the top of the food chain. Just incredibly good luck in so many ways.

Faith is the intentionally purposeful suspension of critical thought. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it merely is what it is. Our current emerging pandemic argues against the intelligence of our species. Our own nation, "the greatest", prioritized plunder and militarism abroad in order to control the resources and governments of others instead of prioritizing preparation for an inevitable and predicted natural phenomenon; but one example. We as human begins face another existential threat the religious think they can fake faith their way past. That will turn out the same. This may merely be the first wave of what is yet to come. We are not as a species so lucky as we are arrogant and myopically anthropomorphic.

You can put your little pouty emoji on this post now shoog.

You've got about three seconds to grab a rock and widdle a spear...he's coming for ya, Bluz...

No no no, not white folks, Africa is for colonizing to infinity.

How do you explain, or deal w/the issue of not being destroyed by some unlucky outside force, or that it might come at any time?

You're a Big Banger, right?
That's always been life for every living thing/being. Why do hominids feel so entitled to security?

Faith is the intentionally purposeful suspension of critical thought. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it merely is what it is. Our current emerging pandemic argues against the intelligence of our species. Our own nation, "the greatest", prioritized plunder and militarism abroad in order to control the resources and governments of others instead of prioritizing preparation for an inevitable and predicted natural phenomenon; but one example. We as human begins face another existential threat the religious think they can fake faith their way past. That will turn out the same. This may merely be the first wave of what is yet to come. We are not as a species so lucky as we are arrogant and myopically anthropomorphic.

You can put your little pouty emoji on this post now shoog.
DOWATCHOUTFORQQQQQQQQ>ITSWATCHINGYOU24/7>>>>>>>>>>>>YESITIS.....................

What are your thoughts?
I am an atheist, or as I like to call myself, a Realist. (Why should I define myself by something I DON'T believe in? A-theist = No god) And yes, there is lots of evidence that the Earth is millions of years old, and the Big Bang has been deduced from various observable facts. And yes, the universe seems to be a chaotic, dangerous place -- as we're finding out right now with Covid-19. And unfortunately, the only thing that's stopping us from being destroyed by a "super meteor" is luck (or God, if you want to go that route).

Part of the reason that I hate religion is that it gives people false hope. Even if their lives in this world are terrible, they're promised a better one in the "next world." There isn't any next world. This is it. This is all we get. And you know what? For all its sorrows, this world is pretty great. A beautiful sunset, an inspiring piece of music, a delicious meal, or the love of someone -- you really should appreciate them while you have them. Because that's all you get. But it's enough.

Forum List

Back