USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant vessel. Ten U.S. men Missing. WTF? Again?

The whole thing is just unbelievable....hard to believe we can have two "accidents" like this in about a month or two?

What in the heck is going on with their protocol to make certain I's are dotted and T's are crossed to prevent these kind of things? Has it changed recently?
Or are these tankers purposely barging in to us?

None of this makes any sense and more than likely nearly 20 men dead...from just the two accidents???

Maybe the crew's sleeping area should be designed higher than the water level that a barge could ram them at...??? :( :(

it's hard to ram anything moving with a ship as big as an oil tanker, those things take a long time to aim in a general direction, never mind target a small moving object.

Right of way on the seas always goes to the least maneuverable vessel.
I had heard on the news that the other ship that had gotten rammed, the Captain and co Captain and a handful of others were demoted or reprimanded and it was determined it was their error....but I did not get the details on what the actual problem was....I'll google that later to find out...

The whole thing is just unbelievable....hard to believe we can have two "accidents" like this in about a month or two?

What in the heck is going on with their protocol to make certain I's are dotted and T's are crossed to prevent these kind of things? Has it changed recently?

None of this makes any sense and more than likely nearly 20 men dead...from just the two accidents???

Maybe the crew's sleeping area should be designed higher than the water level that a barge could ram them at...??? :( :(

it's hard to ram anything moving with a ship as big as an oil tanker, those things take a long time to aim in a general direction, never mind target a small moving object.

I had heard on the news that the other ship that had gotten rammed, the Captain and co Captain and a handful of others were demoted or reprimanded and it was determined it was their error....but I did not get the details on what the actual problem was....I'll google that later to find out...

i saw a story on that, but it probably isn't over because the officers in question can demand a court-martial if they think they have been wronged.

If not, their asses will be out of the navy in a few months.

She isn't funny, nor are the ships, (also referred to as SHE).

Why are you quoting yourself?

See laughing face at the bottom of the post, Geez.............

No

Someone thought the post was funny, perhaps you need glasses.

If you had put a smiley face up, I would not have brought the subject up in the 1st place.

I will remember that, thank you.

Ten U.S. sailers are missing after USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant vessel in the Strait of Malaca.
Ten sailors missing after USS McCain collides with merchant ship

:wtf::mad:What is going on, I've been a long time Tuna chaser, We don't hit ships or other boats.
Our radar is set to sound an alarm miles out, plus the autopilot will adjust course from
the radar input. FFS!.

we should hold two years of hearings to determine why the incompetent trump admin keeps allowing these accidents to occur.

people died.

benghaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

i saw a story on that, but it probably isn't over because the officers in question can demand a court-martial if they think they have been wronged.

does,

the officers in question can demand a court-martial if they think they have been wronged

mean that the officers can request a trial?

does,

the officers in question can demand a court-martial if they think they have been wronged

mean that the officers can request a trial?

I believe so, unless military law has changed recently.

If the member considers the punishment to be unjust or to be disproportionate to the misconduct committed, he or she may appeal the NJP to a higher authority. This is usually the next officer in the chain of command. Upon considering the appeal, the higher authority may set aside the NJP, decrease the severity of the punishment, or may deny the appeal. They may not increase the severity of the punishment.

Personnel are permitted to refuse NJP in favor of a court-martial; this might be done in cases where they do not feel their Commanding Officer will give them a fair hearing. But this option exposes them to a possible criminal court conviction. Navy and Marine Corps personnel assigned to or embarked aboard ship do not have the option of refusing NJP, nor can they appeal the decision of the officer imposing punishment; they may only appeal the severity of the punishment.

Non-judicial punishment - Wikipedia

All the instruments and equipment in the world cannot help in one freak storm.

What freak storm?

IF there was one. Rogue waves are also part of the sea; the area looks crowded to me. Cargo vessels too close to military ships. Are the shipping lanes good in the area?

If a Rogue wave was involved. Which was not.
They both would be sailing into the wave.

it's been one sad tragedy after another lately and not just ships but helicopters etc too! :(
The Obama freeze on military spending took it's toll.....Sequester is costly...we warned you.
Fuck you, asshole. You are no different than those blaming this on Trump. There will some heads rolling, there is no excuse for this kind of incompetence on our war ships.

Ten U.S. sailers are missing after USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant vessel in the Strait of Malaca.

:wtf::mad:What is going on, I've been a long time Tuna chaser, We don't hit ships or other boats.
Our radar is set to sound an alarm miles out, plus the autopilot will adjust course from
the radar input. FFS!.

we should hold two years of hearings to determine why the incompetent trump admin keeps allowing these accidents to occur.

people died.

Trump did not create the second busiest strait in the world:

The Malacca Strait experiences high-density vessel traffic, and therefore is a busy area with high potential for collisions. Analyses of marine traffic that reflect the real conditions of ship navigation are performed to enhance maritime traffic safety. An automatic identification system (AIS) allows for the accurate investigation of actual ship encounters, ship collisions, and sea traffic management systems. For this study, an AIS receiver installed at the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) provided AIS data, which focused on a selected area in the Malacca Strait. The 1972 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREG) guided the assessment of navigation safety based on real conditions using AIS and geographic identification systems (GIS). Based on estimates of the probability and consequence indices from a risk matrix, the time and encounter conditions determined the level of risk. This study also conducted safety measurements

Risk of Navigation for Marine Traffic in the Malacca Strait Using AIS - ScienceDirect

So why are the 100,000 plus other ship of the world not hit each other daily? It's not the radar.
It's most likely kids playing on duty. They hit in daylight, it seems @ 5:30 am there.
I don't know BAZ it could be lack of training poor maintenance due to lack of funds.
A 30,000 ton tanker is rather visible in daylight. Simply no excuse.

Someone explain HOW one of the most sophisticated US warships afloat can be involved in a collision with a fucking cargo ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is two in a couple of months.
At this rate all the pervert in NK needs to do is float out a bunch of old gravel barges and he'll sink the entire US navy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ten sailors missing, five injured after USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca
either folks are ramming us "accidentally on purpose" or our seamen need better training.
That destroyer should be able to run circles around that tanker. There is no excuse for a collision with tanker. There had to be multiple people asleep at the wheel.

the radar input. FFS!.

people died.

Trump did not create the second busiest strait in the world:

The Malacca Strait experiences high-density vessel traffic, and therefore is a busy area with high potential for collisions. Analyses of marine traffic that reflect the real conditions of ship navigation are performed to enhance maritime traffic safety. An automatic identification system (AIS) allows for the accurate investigation of actual ship encounters, ship collisions, and sea traffic management systems. For this study, an AIS receiver installed at the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) provided AIS data, which focused on a selected area in the Malacca Strait. The 1972 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREG) guided the assessment of navigation safety based on real conditions using AIS and geographic identification systems (GIS). Based on estimates of the probability and consequence indices from a risk matrix, the time and encounter conditions determined the level of risk. This study also conducted safety measurements

Risk of Navigation for Marine Traffic in the Malacca Strait Using AIS - ScienceDirect

True! Butt, still need a

benghaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzzzzzzzziiiiiii

btw. Whatever happened to HRC here?

Someone explain HOW one of the most sophisticated US warships afloat can be involved in a collision with a fucking cargo ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is two in a couple of months.
At this rate all the pervert in NK needs to do is float out a bunch of old gravel barges and he'll sink the entire US navy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ten sailors missing, five injured after USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca
either folks are ramming us "accidentally on purpose" or our seamen need better training.
That destroyer should be able to run circles around that tanker. There is no excuse for a collision with tanker. There had to be multiple people asleep at the wheel.

It's a ball, most of the time. Not a wheel.
Gee, such a small wheel, may be they couldn't tell where it was.
TOooo much BALL-TIME! Steering..haha!
Hmm? That's Too Bad? Really.
The bridge is like video games. Kids don't sleep with them types of toys.

Really here, the autopilot can do a better job than bozo here.
Even the speed is adjusted per wind speed to be like 3-7 knots forward
during Yuge waves, which these are not. It's not about
getting anywhere unless an emergency or on a mission.

Now, these are waves...WHEEE! How fun.

What freak storm?

IF there was one. Rogue waves are also part of the sea; the area looks crowded to me. Cargo vessels too close to military ships. Are the shipping lanes good in the area?

Can a destroyer move quickly enough to have avoided this? The cargo ship rammed the destroyer, port aft.

btw..

Maybe it was China/North Korea, who had it rammed by a 3rd party?

What freak storm?

Can a destroyer move quickly enough to have avoided this? The cargo ship rammed the destroyer, port aft.

In almost any sea conditions, they can round like 3 times the speed.
Of a tanker. So, yes.

As for Yuge One wave.
They are one yuge and a few smaller waves. For miles and miles.
So no.
You can only head into them.
It does 30 knots. So if an island is near. They can hide behind it.
At night in the rough sea, we go behind islands for rest and sleep.
Running in 45-125 foot boats.

And fish 24 hours still. Tuna! Tuna!..Food... Food!

Driving a boat is /nothing/ like driving a car. These vessels are used to having the "road" to themselves. If you want to talk about "maneuverability" then you're talking about like Tugboats, maybe riverjets, but these tankers and war ships can't just stop on a dime, there's a formula, but it's like it takes 1/2 the length of the vessel to stop even using the engines. I'm willing to bet that both Captain's knew they were going to hit long before it happened and there just wasn't anything either could do about it :/

Forum List

Back