USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant vessel. Ten U.S. men Missing. WTF? Again?

We aren't talking about some stealthy low profile attack ship, these are gigantic vessels ramming us. Not good. We obviously have a "hole" in our Navy defense which is why (IMO) the DoD is fairly quiet about the response.

Commercial Jets have collision avoidance systems (TCAS) that automatically warn pilots when jets get too close to each other in flight. That technology has been around for over 20 years. I thought the Military had a similar system for ships but apparently not.
The last time this happened, a lot of folks here claimed we do have that technology on the ships and they figured people were asleep or something. Some sailors did get "disciplined." I think it's more likely you're right that there is a "hole" in the defense or the technology isn't working properly. Or people who don't like us have figured out how to jam it. There are a lot of unfriendlies on the seas, especially over there. Lots of pirates who would do anything for a buck.

Interesting (of course, sad, for the loss of life, too). I suppose we'll never actually know what the story is.
. Well conspiracies, speculation and assumptions can be endless with situations like these, and especially when they are back to back. I like the radar jamming theory. It could be that China is attempting to test anti-ship warfare maybe. How would we be able to tell if such warfare was being tested or conducted actually ?? Does such technology leave any clues other than the wreckage afterwards ? How is it that we now have two warships hit by frieghters or tankers in this way, and in the area's in which they have been hit lately ?? Has the tankers/frieghters been boarded by our military for inspection/investigation afterwards ?? Why did the tankers radars not pick up the ship, and why wasn't evasive actions taken by the tanker ? Does these types of vessels have so called black boxes on board ?? These are slow lumbering vessels these tankers are, not Boeing 747's. Boggles the mind how a high tech warship gets rammed by a frieghter resulting in catostrophic damges with loss of life on board. Also boggles the mind how a tanker gets hit by a warship with the technology the warship has on board.

And this is the fuckin military we're all suppose to rally to beat NK, the east and Russia someday? Forget about building our military's arsenal, how about rebuilding our leadership in the Navy!!!! This shit is ridiculous!! But this is what happens when you have a leader in chief, ie Trump!! Yeah, mf's its all Trumps fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could be but why ? Don't these system's have fail-safes and emergency back up's encase this very thing threatens the crew and ship ??
Systems fail, and if it was a purposeful act the crew probably was not ready for it. They will be ready now.

The destroyer should have avoided the tanker in the crowded sea near Malacca....I would not place blame on the US ship yet.

Driving a boat is /nothing/ like driving a car.

I am quite sure that the US Navy does not 'drive boats'.

:D

Rough equivalent.

I just know that like I'm an expert car driver, but yachting on the lake was a completely different experience... it was like driving down a glare ice hill in that you cannot stop. Even trying to adjust for the "slide" effect there was often just nothing I could do to stop where I "expected" to once shit was set in motion; because the waves are variable, hell even where people were standing, sitting, or walking around in the boat (and thus how the boat was riding the water) effected it.

Basically, there's a damn good reason there's buoy's hanging over dock edges all over the planet heh

Yeah and over steering is a real problem on "floating platforms", shall we call them?

Driving a boat is /nothing/ like driving a car.

I am quite sure that the US Navy does not 'drive boats'.

:D

Rough equivalent.

I just know that like I'm an expert car driver, but yachting on the lake was a completely different experience... it was like driving down a glare ice hill in that you cannot stop. Even trying to adjust for the "slide" effect there was often just nothing I could do to stop where I "expected" to once shit was set in motion; because the waves are variable, hell even where people were standing, sitting, or walking around in the boat (and thus how the boat was riding the water) effected it.

Basically, there's a damn good reason there's buoy's hanging over dock edges all over the planet heh

Yeah and over steering is a real problem on "floating platforms", shall we call them?
. Could you imagine a crew being about as competent as what we had in the comedy series 1967 McHale's Navy ? LOL

Bottom line is there are no excuses!
They were hit by an oil tanker, no small ship. The destroyer should have seen from miles away. How did it get past the ship's radar can not be excused never mind the failure of the human observers. Epic failure

If this is the new threat and we don't have an autonomous collision avoidance system, then let's get them pronto. We can't have 20 year old sailors getting bashed to death in their bunks by super tankers. That doesn't cut it for the greatest military in the world.

If this is the new threat and we don't have an autonomous collision avoidance system, then let's get them pronto. We can't have 20 year old sailors getting bashed to death in their bunks by super tankers. That doesn't cut it for the greatest military in the world.
I'm thinking maybe we need some new leadership in these positions of authority on these vessels.....this shit would never happen in a Reagans military, he loved them that much!!

Aside from the attacks on Trump I agree.. The investigation should be interesting, but of course we will be kept in the dark about it.

HEY! That's too bad here.
But IT SIAD "That's too bad."
Really, IT can't say, we will have
a report soon we're on it.

But saying FFS! "That's too bad."...WTF! childish.
So if US military men die IT will say "That's too bad."?

I recall IT blamed that raid failure on the generals, where IT failed.
He did not look at the plan he ordered, but it's another..."That's too bad.".
Isn't this the same guy that wants all the FACTS FIRST?

Forum List

Back