USS John S. McCain collided with a merchant vessel. Ten U.S. men Missing. WTF? Again?

4th thread on this.

does ANYONE look before they make a new thread?

it's been one sad tragedy after another lately and not just ships but helicopters etc too! :(
The Obama freeze on military spending took it's toll.....Sequester is costly...we warned you.

So why are the 100,000 plus other ship of the world not hit each other daily? It's not the radar.
It's most likely kids playing on duty. They hit in daylight, it seems @ 5:30 am there.

So why are the 100,000 plus other ship of the world not hit each other daily? It's not the radar.
It's most likely kids playing on duty. They hit in daylight, it seems @ 5:30 am there.
I don't know BAZ it could be lack of training poor maintenance due to lack of funds.

it's been one sad tragedy after another lately and not just ships but helicopters etc too! :(
The Obama freeze on military spending took it's toll.....Sequester is costly...we warned you.
:lol::lol: What a CROCK of poop! The Republicans put us in to the sequester and Democrats warned YOU, silly! And hide and watch the R's raise the debt limit for Trump in a blink of the eye!!!

Or the ships crew were so ashamed to be sailing on the namesake of the man that killed any chance of Obamacare repeal they lost focus. :badgrin:

:lol::lol: What a CROCK of poop! The Republicans put us in to the sequester and Democrats warned YOU, silly! And hide and watch the R's raise the debt limit for Trump in a blink of the eye!!!

How Obama Shrank the Military

I don't know BAZ it could be lack of training poor maintenance due to lack of funds.

They got 650B plus to spend, each year. it chose to train them less. If did so! They are not short of operational funds. They are
short on buying useless toys. This boat is newer and has many radar systems. But you can train them like crazy. In the military, they all play around.

They got 650B plus to spend, each year. it chose to train them less. If did so! They are not short of operational funds. They are
short on buying useless toys. This boat is newer and has many radar systems. But you can train them like crazy. In the military, they all play around.
Like I said nothing runs on hope and change. It will take years to repair the damage done by Obama's military spending sequester. To do that at a time of war was even more stupid.

Someone explain HOW one of the most sophisticated US warships afloat can be involved in a collision with a fucking cargo ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is two in a couple of months.
At this rate all the pervert in NK needs to do is float out a bunch of old gravel barges and he'll sink the entire US navy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ten sailors missing, five injured after USS John S. McCain collides with merchant ship near Strait of Malacca
either folks are ramming us "accidentally on purpose" or our seamen need better training.

No excuse

If they can't avoid a cargo ship or tanker. What happens if someone fires a missile?

So years ago I got a ride on the USS Kitty Hawk. We were using it as an afloat forward base in Afghanistan before we had anything put together on the ground yet just after Sep 11. We had to traverse the Straits of Malacca, and that was one of the big worries, terrorists taking over a large vessel and ramming the carrier. It was packed with ships, and not much room to move. Had no issue but I could see what would make that dangerous, especially at night. Of course the report is that they weren't actually in the straits.

And an odd other random note. The Kitty Hawk nearly lost a propeller running over a buoy in Singapore when docking at Changi Pier.

The interesting thing, is both the Fitzgerald and the McCain were stationed at the same base, their docks were within a stones throw of each other.

We aren't talking about some stealthy low profile attack ship, these are gigantic vessels ramming us. Not good. We obviously have a "hole" in our Navy defense which is why (IMO) the DoD is fairly quiet about the response.

Commercial Jets have collision avoidance systems (TCAS) that automatically warn pilots when jets get too close to each other in flight. That technology has been around for over 20 years. I thought the Military had a similar system for ships but apparently not.

More officers' careers just came to a screeching halt, just like those of the Fitzgerald after their collision in June.

We've got about every state-of-the-art (as of a year ago anyway) electronic navigational aid on our boat because we often cross the potentially dangerous Lake Michigan and its busy shipping lanes, but obviously nothing of the caliber our Navy must have, yet we always know what's around us from close by to great distances so I just don't get what's happened to the Fitz and McCain. More than one person has to be asleep at the switch at the same time I'd imagine, so what the hell is going on?

Seems the tanker hit it on the side. Directly straight in. Seems the tanker was empty, as to how high the Bulbous bow is above the water line.
bulbous-bow-hull-markings-and-anchor-chain-of-coastal-deniz-dry-cargo-BTC4CM.jpg

Not the ship above, example only.

06154196-4916.jpg

XTRQLLMANRF3TGMJCYRVGPAV5E.jpg

Well, now seeing this view above. Looks like a 60 degree hit.

Last edited:
either folks are ramming us "accidentally on purpose" or our seamen need better training.
Our WARSHIPS should not let civilian ship get that close to them in the first place.

Yes, I think the lack of training is the root problem, but what can one expect when the military has been giving higher priority to being politically correct instead of finding the BEST WARRORS for the job?

Forum List

Back