USMB Coffee Shop IV

I like cooked broccoli, with melted cheese on top. My youngest wouldn't eat broccoli and when we asked him why, he said "I don't like trees" ...we thought that was funny....probably not funny to anyone else...:)

I love carrots. I like them raw in salads, or just to nibble on, or dipping them in ranch dressing. Cooked carrots are good if they are sweet....and I especially love them caramelized.

Mertex, I'm not going to drink with you if you're going to bring veggies to the party.:eusa_hand: :D

Aw come on. I make a carrot soufflé I bet even you would like. :)

I would prefer chips and salsa...but I won't eat the salsa that Pogo would like.:tongue:

big-black-dog-albums-pictures-picture6728-img-0013.jpg

Just checked my trail camera. Caught this guy lurking around! The bucks are still in velvet here.

Today was day 19 of the great Stat-Princess-Statalina 2014 vacation, which is now coming soon to an end - on Tuesday.

Today (surprise, surprise), it rained, again. Sigh.

But for 3 hours, it was relatively doable, and so Miss Princess Statalina packed a picnic lunch, grabbed the frisbees and the badminton stuff plus the pooch and off we went on a hike in a very nearby woods called the FINKENBERG. At the end of a long trail is a sort of lookout point with a two-fold historical importance.

First, right there are the northernmost red-wine vinyards in Germany. It's a small vinyard, but they make good stuff.

This is the lookout point where Napoleon Bonaparte stood and looked at Bonn when he conquered the city in 1794 (Trier, Köln, Bonn, Koblenz).

These days, it's just the end of a long trail and functions as lovers' leap on the weekends!

So, we picnic'd and then we hiked further - all said and told, roughly 3 hours.

Then, when we got home, before she washed her hands, she checked the dog for ticks. Smart kid, smart kid.

THEN she washed her hands and then wanted to play hide-and-seek. Never thought I would enjoy the game so much, but the little one is inventive at hiding herself.

For dinner we at a kind of east European beef sausage called Cevapcici (Ćevapčići) with carrots, corn, mashed potatoes and a little bit of gravy. She ate, and just like a typical 7, going on 8 year-old, two hours later the report to homebase was: "Papa, I'm hungry!" LOL.

It's a battle to get her to go to sleep early, but it was agreed that I would slowly place her on her schooltime sleeping schedule and so, 20:45, she was off to bed and looking very unhappy about the whole thing. However, after a nighty-night story and some long counting by Papa, by 21:20, she was snoozing. Tomorrow, she goes to bed at 20:00, will hopefully be sleeping at 20:30, and on Monday, she goes to bed at 19:45. The late-nights of 2014 are now long-gone.

Tomorrow, we go swimming and then a friend of mine has invited her to check out a terrarium he is keeping for a colleague. All sorts of exotic creatures are inside.

I've started a tradition we call the ART-WALL at my place. On the last day of vacation, we both draw our impressions of the summer and post our "artwork" up on a small wall between the kitchen and the living room. So, on Monday, we will be pulling out the watercolors.

I must admit, the last couple of days of vacation with her are always a little depressing for me, for just as soon as I have really gotten used to the feeling of having her with me every day, it's time for her to go back to her mom. Sigh. This too shall pass.

Me neither, don't like meringue or cream pies.

Ditto. It's a texture issue.

Well I might as well chime in too... I don't like it either. Not a big fan of lemon flavored anything.

Update on Ma... the lump in her appendix was an infection, so she has a drain in her to drain that off. I know, not a very appealing picture, and her body is only responding to one certain drug to fight it, and for that they need a pic line in her to administer. So, she had a couple options for continued care, and we're opting for a hospice type center in the same town she lives in, and it has a great reputation. We'll have to wait until Monday now to move her, then I'll go down, drop my Tahoe off at where my sister works and pic up her little RAV-4. Ma can get in and out of that the best because it's not very high, then I'll run her down to the new place and then drop my sisters RAV back off and pick up my truck. A lot of messing around but, Ma's are worth it. I'll put on close to 300 hundred miles driving before I get back home.

Think I'll run up to walmart today and buy me a new non stick fry pan. My old one is getting pretty cruddy, and all the non stick stuff has been peeling for awhile.

Moms are worth the hassle. Hope yours gets better soon. Will she have to stay long in hospice?

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
When I was a kid, there were certain foods I said I didn't like and so I refused to eat them. When I grew up, I became more willing to try or retry foods I didn't like and I discovered that some of the foods I "didn't like" was more because I had been unwilling to try them to begin with, or my mom had just cooked them badly. Eggplant is a perfect example of my mom not knowing how to cook it. I never liked eggplant. Then, shortly after I got married, my wife made an eggplant parmigiana that was really good. I still don't like most eggplant dishes and wouldn't order it in a restaurant, but there are certain ways to cook it that I will eat.

I will try virtually anything once and there are very few foods I won't try again. I had raw sea urchin sushi twice and both times it was so horrible that I just about vomited so that is one food I won't try again. I also won't do straight shots of tequila but I do like a margarita now and then. I like hot peppers a lot but I wouldn't eat an entire one of these insanely hot peppers that are on the market these days (think things like ghost peppers and hotter), but I can (and do) eat pickled habanero's straight from the jar. hotter than that, and it just tears up your insides.

My oldest daughter was a picky eater, I created a game called "the three taste game" for new foods. She was supposed to not like it for two tastes, then the third taste was her choice. If she liked one of the first two tastes, I would say, you're not supposed to like it yet and she'd scrunch her face like she didn't like it, it was pretty funny. Sometimes she liked it, sometimes not, but she's 23 now and credits that game for a lot of her favorite foods that she probably wouldn't have eaten based on one taste.

Well that is an interesting tactic.
I always told my kids they had to at least try the food in front of them, if they didn't like it, they were not forced to eat it. I would mix things up though. For example, my youngest loved fried rice with its bits of egg and corn and peas. But she said she hated carrots. Hehe, I added carrot bits to the fried rice I would make and she discovered that carrots weren't bad. Both of my children (now adults) are very adventurous when it comes to trying new food.

When my daughter was young, she would eat slices of onions like cookies. Then she got a new BFF, who declared onions "yucky". After that, I had to lie and tell her the onions were celery.

Good morning everybody. Need to post and run--I'm doing the service at the Rehab Center in the morning and don't have my homily nailed down yet so have to get to it.

Just reading over the posts this morning, I am struck again at what an eclectic bunch of people we are. I would have to really think about a menu if everybody was invited to a sit down dinner at my house wouldn't I :)

A few of you share my enjoyment of a really good cream pie--I really do prefer them to any other pie but also enjoy pecan, pumpkin, fruit pies too. I LOVE broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage, cooked or raw, enjoy brussel sprouts, won't eat boiled okra but love it seasoned, breaded and fried, enjoy cooked spinach but dislike it raw, will eat English peas and black-eyed peas in moderation and enjoy most beans but won't eat lima beans or butter beans to this day. I'm not fond of kidney beans or garbanzo beans. Prefer carrots raw to cooked though I do appreciate a good carrot soufflé.

Now I'm thinking a good quiche would be good today. Wonder what I have to put in one?

I would offer the main dish, probably some burnt offering, and then invite everyone to bring along a side dish or dessert of their choice.

Peas are ok with me, what I never liked were broccoli and cauliflower. I guess the smell turned me off. Never ate them as a kid, and don't eat them now...:eusa_hand:

When I was a kid, there were certain foods I said I didn't like and so I refused to eat them. When I grew up, I became more willing to try or retry foods I didn't like and I discovered that some of the foods I "didn't like" was more because I had been unwilling to try them to begin with, or my mom had just cooked them badly. Eggplant is a perfect example of my mom not knowing how to cook it. I never liked eggplant. Then, shortly after I got married, my wife made an eggplant parmigiana that was really good. I still don't like most eggplant dishes and wouldn't order it in a restaurant, but there are certain ways to cook it that I will eat.

I will try virtually anything once and there are very few foods I won't try again. I had raw sea urchin sushi twice and both times it was so horrible that I just about vomited so that is one food I won't try again. I also won't do straight shots of tequila but I do like a margarita now and then. I like hot peppers a lot but I wouldn't eat an entire one of these insanely hot peppers that are on the market these days (think things like ghost peppers and hotter), but I can (and do) eat pickled habanero's straight from the jar. hotter than that, and it just tears up your insides.

When I was in Mexico, our Senora made liver. I couldn't stand liver, but I live by the rule, you have to try it. I was surprised to find I liked her liver. Sometimes it's the way it is cooked.
I love liver fried with onions, and mixed with chunks of beef. My doc asked me to eat liver at least once a week, and have eggs for breakfast every day if possible. I have very low cholesterol, and these foods bring it up just a bit. Not to mention that liver is high in iron...:thup:

Ditto. It's a texture issue.

Well I might as well chime in too... I don't like it either. Not a big fan of lemon flavored anything.

Update on Ma... the lump in her appendix was an infection, so she has a drain in her to drain that off. I know, not a very appealing picture, and her body is only responding to one certain drug to fight it, and for that they need a pic line in her to administer. So, she had a couple options for continued care, and we're opting for a hospice type center in the same town she lives in, and it has a great reputation. We'll have to wait until Monday now to move her, then I'll go down, drop my Tahoe off at where my sister works and pic up her little RAV-4. Ma can get in and out of that the best because it's not very high, then I'll run her down to the new place and then drop my sisters RAV back off and pick up my truck. A lot of messing around but, Ma's are worth it. I'll put on close to 300 hundred miles driving before I get back home.

Think I'll run up to walmart today and buy me a new non stick fry pan. My old one is getting pretty cruddy, and all the non stick stuff has been peeling for awhile.

Moms are worth the hassle. Hope yours gets better soon. Will she have to stay long in hospice?
They're saying that the only reason she has to go is because she needs a pic line in her to administer whatever they're giving her for her appendix problem, and that will require a nurse. To have one stop over each day would cost a bundle, and not sure her insurance would cover it, so she even agreed to go to the hospice until they can take out the pic. Hopefully that's not too long.

So I went to walmart and lo and behold, they're selling CALPHALON cookware. That stuff is right up there with the likes of AL-CLAD and such for quality, it's made in the USA. Granted pricey compared to the other pots and pans there, but still, has a very good reputation as well made and lasts, so I bought a 12" and 10" fry pan, and the 10" even came with a lid. Very happy, can't wait to try them out. Time for an omelet tomorrow morning I think.

When I was in Mexico, our Senora made liver. I couldn't stand liver, but I live by the rule, you have to try it. I was surprised to find I liked her liver. Sometimes it's the way it is cooked.
I love liver fried with onions, and mixed with chunks of beef. My doc asked me to eat liver at least once a week, and have eggs for breakfast every day if possible. I have very low cholesterol, and these foods bring it up just a bit. Not to mention that liver is high in iron...:thup:
Way back in the day my Dad would make fried liver and onions on a regular basis. I like it then and have no doubt I could put some down now as well. It is good for ya, very high in iron.

My oldest daughter was a picky eater, I created a game called "the three taste game" for new foods. She was supposed to not like it for two tastes, then the third taste was her choice. If she liked one of the first two tastes, I would say, you're not supposed to like it yet and she'd scrunch her face like she didn't like it, it was pretty funny. Sometimes she liked it, sometimes not, but she's 23 now and credits that game for a lot of her favorite foods that she probably wouldn't have eaten based on one taste.

Well that is an interesting tactic.
I always told my kids they had to at least try the food in front of them, if they didn't like it, they were not forced to eat it. I would mix things up though. For example, my youngest loved fried rice with its bits of egg and corn and peas. But she said she hated carrots. Hehe, I added carrot bits to the fried rice I would make and she discovered that carrots weren't bad. Both of my children (now adults) are very adventurous when it comes to trying new food.

When my daughter was young, she would eat slices of onions like cookies. Then she got a new BFF, who declared onions "yucky". After that, I had to lie and tell her the onions were celery.

:thup:

On this day in history, Aug. 16, 1977, Elvis Presley died at Graceland Mansion in Memphis, Tenn., at age 42, ...

Couple decades ago I had a Chevy Blazer that was manufactured in the 8th month of 1977, so naturally, I called it "Elvis." I whooped the tar out of that ole truck and never once did it EVER let me down. It finally rusted so bad that I couldn't trust the body from simply toppling off the frame. So finally one day I opened both doors, threw a log chain around the upper cab of the body through both door openings, hooked the chain up to another truck of mine and pulled the body right off. Had the junk yard come down and winch the old body up for scrap and then sold the rolling the chassis that was left which still had a great running 350 engine and 4x4 running gear in it.

Last edited:
Way back in the day my Dad would make fried liver and onions on a regular basis. I like it then and have no doubt I could put some down now as well. It is good for ya, very high in iron.

I quit eating liver and onions when I got to big for my mother to beat me for not eating my supper.

:(Love liver and onions, but the Liver has too much cholesterol so I had to give it up...

:thup: I used to as well, until I read about organ meats and bacon and all that saturated fat. I used to pan-fry liver and add sauteed onions and fried crisp bacon, then make pan gravy from the drippings. Add some homemade mashed potatoes with butter and a veggie, and "voila" what a heavy and unhealthful meal.

That delicious, horrible for you, meal was a recipe from my maternal great grandma. What a cook she was. Paternal grandma, an average cook. :) A great schoolteacher though, from what I hear.

On this day in history, Aug. 16, 1977, Elvis Presley died at Graceland Mansion in Memphis, Tenn., at age 42, ...

Couple decades ago I had a Chevy Blazer that was manufactured in the 8th month of 1977, so naturally, I called it "Elvis." I whooped the tar out of that ole truck and never once did it EVER let me down. It finally rusted so bad that I couldn't trust the body from simply toppling off the frame. So finally one day I opened both doors, threw a log chain around the upper cab of the body through both door openings, hooked the chain up to another truck of mine and pulled the body right off. Had the junk yard come down and winch the old body up for scrap and then sold the rolling the chassis that was left which still had a great running 350 engine and 4x4 running gear in it.

That sounded EXCITIN` 007. :D

:(Love liver and onions, but the Liver has too much cholesterol so I had to give it up...

:thup: I used to as well, until I read about organ meats and bacon and all that saturated fat. I used to pan-fry liver and add sauteed onions and fried crisp bacon, then make pan gravy from the drippings. Add some homemade mashed potatoes with butter and a veggie, and "voila" what a heavy and unhealthful meal.

That delicious, horrible for you, meal was a recipe from my maternal great grandma. What a cook she was. Paternal grandma, an average cook. :) A great schoolteacher though, from what I hear.

All of the above is a "ya moment" for me. I have liver and onions maybe four times a year. I do my best to stay away from processed meat. Actually I bet I don't have beef more than once a week of four ounces or less. There was a time I never could have done that. I have come to enjoy lentils, with onions, legumes, beans, salads, fruits, and vegetables very much. Feel much better because of the change of diet.

I quit eating liver and onions when I got to big for my mother to beat me for not eating my supper.

bad doggie! Though I have a sister who would say you are on the right track.

She does not like broccoli and cheese either while I still enjoy it.

During WWII just about everything was rationed , especially meats. You could get plenty of liver and fish though. Tuesdays were the day you bought liver so it was always "liver on Tuesdays". Fish on Friday. Beef on Saturday.

During WWII just about everything was rationed , especially meats. You could get plenty of liver and fish though. Tuesdays were the day you bought liver so it was always "liver on Tuesdays". Fish on Friday. Beef on Saturday.

According to the TV series MASH and other references to the Korean War, liver and fish were pretty much staples on the chow lines for our troops there too.

Forum List

Back