USMB Coffee Shop IV

Nice day here in northwestern Illinois. Had my coffee, showered and dressed. Will be off to Mass shortly. Everybody have a great day.

Liver. Other than the fact that the taste is enough to actually cause a gag reflex in Me (it is the only food I have ever tried that does that), the fact that the liver is the filter of the body in which it resides. Be that chicken, beef or pig, or any other mammal, I can't get past the notion that all of those toxins reside in that organ

Besides, I'm not a fan of any organ meat. They all have an 'off taste' to Me.

Sunday mornin'... ho hummm... :doubt:
I'm actually rather busy today, for My one day off.

Running into Scranton to the drive in movie to visit the huge flea market there, then going to creature comfort for replacement hoses for My turtle tank (getting tired of the noise of the return hose splashing away). Thought I'd grab a bite to eat at the Quaker Steak & Lube after that. Run over to Gander Mountain and pick up some 5.56 rounds for My M&P 15...

Then home to take a final exam in My Management 521 class....

I really need to get in the shower and get going too! After that last cup that is.....:D

Coffee is served!

Don't kill me, but I have not had a cup yet and no headache....... I am experimenting.

I haven't had any since this whole mess started. Maybe that was part of my huge headache this past week?

[MENTION=13805]Againsheila[/MENTION]

When I went cold turkey, my Dr told me the migraines I got were a direct result of that. Caffeine constricts your blood vessels. When you stop, the blood vessels are left without that constricting pressure immediately after the caffeine washes out if your system. HENCE, headaches. But if you slowly reduce the amounf of caffeine, you don't get headaches.

So I went to walmart and lo and behold, they're selling CALPHALON cookware. That stuff is right up there with the likes of AL-CLAD and such for quality, it's made in the USA. Granted pricey compared to the other pots and pans there, but still, has a very good reputation as well made and lasts, so I bought a 12" and 10" fry pan, and the 10" even came with a lid. Very happy, can't wait to try them out. Time for an omelet tomorrow morning I think.

My ex wife still has the Calphalon set.
Non stick? If so, for how long, and what kind of shape are they in?

I have my Calhalon but even with them one has to be careful. They have a "coated" line of products. Like any coated pan the coating will eventually wear off, get scratched and chip. I learned that the hard way years ago.
Yes there's definite rules to care for non stick, and that is what I bought. One, don't use too high of heat, preheat and cool them slowly, two, never run cool water in them when they're hot, three, use dish soap and a kitchen sponge to clean them, nothing real scratchy, four, don't stack them with other pans unless you pad between them with something, and five, usually, don't put them in a dish washer. Even so, eventually the non stick will degrade, they all do, you can't stop it. Some just last longer than others.

Even with following all of those rules the net difference in how long they last doesn't justify the higher price in my opinion. We use T-Fal non stick pans and replace them as they wear out. What I have noticed making a difference is the quality of the spatulas and tongs. (Never use a fork or a knife or steel spatula/tongs. :eek:) The better quality of those preserves the life of the non stick pans in my opinion.

kaz, sometimes that is what the body needs.

Good Sunday morning. Enjoy services for those who go, and enjoy this beautiful day for those who don't.

About 65, and should get to 90 with sunny skies

Good Sunday morning. Enjoy services for those who go, and enjoy this beautiful day for those who don't.

I go to services right here in my home. This morning, right where I sit at the dining room table the light from the rising sun was shining through the cut and stained glass hanger on the front door window. It still is to some degree, but light on the wall behind me was lit up with soft rainbow colors right at head level, almost like a halo. The shape of the hanger is round........ Other than a few splotches of color here and there it's mostly gone.

Good morning Jake, and all patrons of the CS.

Party cloudy and 65°. :thup:

I have my Calhalon but even with them one has to be careful. They have a "coated" line of products. Like any coated pan the coating will eventually wear off, get scratched and chip. I learned that the hard way years ago.
Yes there's definite rules to care for non stick, and that is what I bought. One, don't use too high of heat, preheat and cool them slowly, two, never run cool water in them when they're hot, three, use dish soap and a kitchen sponge to clean them, nothing real scratchy, four, don't stack them with other pans unless you pad between them with something, and five, usually, don't put them in a dish washer. Even so, eventually the non stick will degrade, they all do, you can't stop it. Some just last longer than others.

Even with following all of those rules the net difference in how long they last doesn't justify the higher price in my opinion. We use T-Fal non stick pans and replace them as they wear out. What I have noticed making a difference is the quality of the spatulas and tongs. (Never use a fork or a knife or steel spatula/tongs. :eek:) The better quality of those preserves the life of the non stick pans in my opinion.

I have some Calphalon I've had for decades, I don't use metal utensils in them either and they're the anodized aluminum ones. Same with any non-stick pans I've had, never used metal utensils and they wear out way too quickly for my tastes. Also have cast iron but it's still packed away. The last place we had in VA had one of those glass top ranges and I wasn't going to destroy the cooktop with cast iron.

00038534.jpg

I have a good T-Fal stainless steal fry pan that I really love. I've had it forever and it looks great. You just have to know how to cook with stainless.

I like the non stick for eggs, omelets and such, and fish especially. The stainless just can't cook it as well no matter the technique.

Good morning everybody. Not feeling wonderful yet but hoping a Naproxen and three or four cups of coffee will fix me up. I think I'll skip the early church service this morning though. Will be doing the homily at the Rehab Center later this morning.

It is shaping up to be a beautiful day in Albuquerque. We might get up to 90 today but by Wednesday will be back into the 80's for the last days of summer. I'm beginning to be confident that we've seen the last of the hottest weather for this year and it is already feeling fallish but that could be psychological too with school starting and all.

For cookware that is affordable, durable, and cooks as well as any I've ever used, I like Cusinart. I only have three pieces but absolutely love it. The fry pans have a ceramic like non stick coating that is supposed to be more durable but I am still very careful. We don't put them in the dishwasher and don't use metal utensils or any harsh cleaning materials. And we don't use the highest heat on the stove and we never put a hot pan into dishwater but let them cool down first.

I'll be going to work. :thup: For probably 4 hours. Perfect. :D

Well, I'm going to jump on the Harley around noon and head down to this trendy little town between here and Madison. They're having some big thing going on in the park today and a couple of friends of mine are playing there in a band called "Chicken Head." I'll see if I can stay out of trouble.

I'll be going to work. :thup: For probably 4 hours. Perfect. :D

Well, I'm going to jump on the Harley around noon and head down to this trendy little town between here and Madison. They're having some big thing going on in the park today and a couple of friends of mine are playing there in a band called "Chicken Head." I'll see if I can stay out of trouble.

:crybaby: I wanna go witch `cha.

Don't kill me, but I have not had a cup yet and no headache....... I am experimenting.

I haven't had any since this whole mess started. Maybe that was part of my huge headache this past week?

[MENTION=13805]Againsheila[/MENTION]

When I went cold turkey, my Dr told me the migraines I got were a direct result of that. Caffeine constricts your blood vessels. When you stop, the blood vessels are left without that constricting pressure immediately after the caffeine washes out if your system. HENCE, headaches. But if you slowly reduce the amounf of caffeine, you don't get headaches.
Not to mention that copious amounts of coffee will tend to raise the blood pressure. Thus when stopping, the blood pressure may drop which could cause headaches, or even feeling lightheaded in extreme cases. This is usually temporary, and the body will adjust.

Forum List

Back