USMB Coffee Shop IV

On this day in history, Aug. 16, 1977, Elvis Presley died at Graceland Mansion in Memphis, Tenn., at age 42, and a generation of Presley fans went into mourning. And not since the JFK assassination, has there been so much conspiracy theory, speculation, and controversy surrounding a prominent and beloved figure's death.

The inelegant official story was that he died as a result of chronic constipation coupled with extreme drug use. Others say he took his own life and/or was murdered. And some believe the King faked his own death and that he’s still alive and well. There have been numerous Elvis sightings over the years, and there are several mysteries surrounding Presley’s death that have become fodder for various conspiracy theories. One theory is that he entered a witness protection program following some work with the government.

Then there is the mystery of his middle name "Aron" misspelled "Aaron" on his tombstone. The official cause of death announced by the coroner was “cardiac arrhythmia,” which is something that can only be diagnosed in people who are still alive. And the story of a large life insurance policy with Lloyd's of London that went unclaimed. Gloria Estefen reported she received a telephone call from him in 1990. Some noted beads of sweat on his forehead in the casket leading them to believe it was not him but a wax replica.

But time marches on, and alive or dead, Elvis Presley certainly left a very large impression on American music and culture. His memory has not faded with the passage of time.

Elvis-Presley-elvis-presley-22316471-1886-1805.jpg

417896_518600348186284_119887620_n.jpg

Good morning everybody. Need to post and run--I'm doing the service at the Rehab Center in the morning and don't have my homily nailed down yet so have to get to it.

Just reading over the posts this morning, I am struck again at what an eclectic bunch of people we are. I would have to really think about a menu if everybody was invited to a sit down dinner at my house wouldn't I :)

A few of you share my enjoyment of a really good cream pie--I really do prefer them to any other pie but also enjoy pecan, pumpkin, fruit pies too. I LOVE broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage, cooked or raw, enjoy brussel sprouts, won't eat boiled okra but love it seasoned, breaded and fried, enjoy cooked spinach but dislike it raw, will eat English peas and black-eyed peas in moderation and enjoy most beans but won't eat lima beans or butter beans to this day. I'm not fond of kidney beans or garbanzo beans. Prefer carrots raw to cooked though I do appreciate a good carrot soufflé.

Now I'm thinking a good quiche would be good today. Wonder what I have to put in one?

Kidney and butter beans with raw spinach, chick peas and boiled okra in mine please :eusa_angel:

Somehow I suspect that would be deadly -- I do like kidneys though, and spinach has to be either raw (as salad) or if cooked, lightly steamed. Have no issue at all with lemon meringue pie. Never cared for cabbage. Can't even imagine what carrot soufflé is...

On this day in history, Aug. 16, 1977, Elvis Presley died at Graceland Mansion in Memphis, Tenn., at age 42, and a generation of Presley fans went into mourning. And not since the JFK assassination, has there been so much conspiracy theory, speculation, and controversy surrounding a prominent and beloved figure's death.

The inelegant official story was that he died as a result of chronic constipation coupled with extreme drug use. Others say he took his own life and/or was murdered. And some believe the King faked his own death and that he’s still alive and well. There have been numerous Elvis sightings over the years, and there are several mysteries surrounding Presley’s death that have become fodder for various conspiracy theories. One theory is that he entered a witness protection program following some work with the government.

Then there is the mystery of his middle name "Aron" misspelled "Aaron" on his tombstone. The official cause of death announced by the coroner was “cardiac arrhythmia,” which is something that can only be diagnosed in people who are still alive. And the story of a large life insurance policy with Lloyd's of London that went unclaimed. Gloria Estefen reported she received a telephone call from him in 1990. Some noted beads of sweat on his forehead in the casket leading them to believe it was not him but a wax replica.

But time marches on, and alive or dead, Elvis Presley certainly left a very large impression on American music and culture. His memory has not faded with the passage of time.

I saw Elvis in the mid-1990s, on Mystery Street in New Orleans. True story.

He was driving a Volkswagen Beetle convertible. And it was not pink.

It's official... On September 2nd, Mrs. BBD and I, will begin our vacation. We are going to bum around the New England area for 2 or maybe 3 weeks in the new RV. First stop as we head east will be Hershey, PA. Then we will try our best to survive the traffic around New York City as we head north on I-95.

I saw Elvis in the Walmart in Sterling, IL just a couple of years ago.

I remember my brother mashing peas on his high chair tray until they were paste like. Cauliflower is still something I don't eat along with beets. Broccoli is okay if it is just the flower part and cut up small into a quiche or drowned in cheese.

I've started making a coleslaw with fresh brocolli and cabbage and onions and I'm considering adding cauliflower.

:eek:

Still friends. I might even try some just to make you happy. :D

Good morning everybody. Need to post and run--I'm doing the service at the Rehab Center in the morning and don't have my homily nailed down yet so have to get to it.

Just reading over the posts this morning, I am struck again at what an eclectic bunch of people we are. I would have to really think about a menu if everybody was invited to a sit down dinner at my house wouldn't I :)

A few of you share my enjoyment of a really good cream pie--I really do prefer them to any other pie but also enjoy pecan, pumpkin, fruit pies too. I LOVE broccoli and cauliflower and cabbage, cooked or raw, enjoy brussel sprouts, won't eat boiled okra but love it seasoned, breaded and fried, enjoy cooked spinach but dislike it raw, will eat English peas and black-eyed peas in moderation and enjoy most beans but won't eat lima beans or butter beans to this day. I'm not fond of kidney beans or garbanzo beans. Prefer carrots raw to cooked though I do appreciate a good carrot soufflé.

Now I'm thinking a good quiche would be good today. Wonder what I have to put in one?

Kidney and butter beans with raw spinach, chick peas and boiled okra in mine please :eusa_angel:

Somehow I suspect that would be deadly -- I do like kidneys though, and spinach has to be either raw (as salad) or if cooked, lightly steamed. Have no issue at all with lemon meringue pie. Never cared for cabbage. Can't even imagine what carrot soufflé is...
Corned beefand cabbage! Nectar of the Gods. Leftover cabbage the next day is heavenly when fried. Yum yum!

I saw Elvis in the Walmart in Sterling, IL just a couple of years ago.
Elvis cut my grass early this summer. He would smoke it. He left one day, said he was joining the circus. True story.

My wife's that way with peas and beans. I just like fruit pies and nut pies.

When I was a kid and forced to eat peas, I'd have to swallow them whole...if that stuff exploded in my mouth, I'd gag.:eek:
Peas are ok with me, what I never liked were broccoli and cauliflower. I guess the smell turned me off. Never ate them as a kid, and don't eat them now...:eusa_hand:

I can stomach broccoli raw if I dip it in something, but the smell of cooked broccoli is nauseating.

My wife's that way with peas and beans. I just like fruit pies and nut pies.

When I was a kid and forced to eat peas, I'd have to swallow them whole...if that stuff exploded in my mouth, I'd gag.:eek:

Peas and beans and underdone carrots are good but broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower make me gag. It is something to do with the smell when cooked because I like coleslaw which is basically raw cabbage and carrots. Spinach is bitter tasting but a curry will cover that and I like kale, especially when it is dry baked to a crisp.

I can do raw carrots, but hot and mushy are a no go.:eusa_hand:

Elvis was my first love. When I was 6, I discovered some of his records in my Dad's collection...I was instantly hooked, and was certain that he'd be my future husband. He'll always hold a special place in my heart.

It's official... On September 2nd, Mrs. BBD and I, will begin our vacation. We are going to bum around the New England area for 2 or maybe 3 weeks in the new RV. First stop as we head east will be Hershey, PA. Then we will try our best to survive the traffic around New York City as we head north on I-95.

Enjoy your vakay and be safe in your travels. :D
Remember me on Sept. 6th as you travel around on that day, cuz it's my Birthday. :lol:

Head East? Good band......

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jW8_2Us5c"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7jW8_2Us5c[/ame]

Uummmm, you can take US 78 out of Hershey to US 287 and miss NYC and much of New Jersey altogether. :thup:

I remember my brother mashing peas on his high chair tray until they were paste like. Cauliflower is still something I don't eat along with beets. Broccoli is okay if it is just the flower part and cut up small into a quiche or drowned in cheese.

I've started making a coleslaw with fresh brocolli and cabbage and onions and I'm considering adding cauliflower.

That sounds verily tremendous!

I didn't start to enjoy cauliflower or brocolli until in my middle 50's.....and then I had to have cheese sauce over it to get it down. Now, I can eat it cooked or raw with no sauce. Yummy! But spinach? Or asparagus? I puke a little in my mouth just smelling it. Eww.

I can stomach broccoli raw if I dip it in something, but the smell of cooked broccoli is nauseating.

I like cooked broccoli, with melted cheese on top. My youngest wouldn't eat broccoli and when we asked him why, he said "I don't like trees" ...we thought that was funny....probably not funny to anyone else...:)

I love carrots. I like them raw in salads, or just to nibble on, or dipping them in ranch dressing. Cooked carrots are good if they are sweet....and I especially love them caramelized.

I like cooked broccoli, with melted cheese on top. My youngest wouldn't eat broccoli and when we asked him why, he said "I don't like trees" ...we thought that was funny....probably not funny to anyone else...:)

I love carrots. I like them raw in salads, or just to nibble on, or dipping them in ranch dressing. Cooked carrots are good if they are sweet....and I especially love them caramelized.

Mertex, I'm not going to drink with you if you're going to bring veggies to the party.:eusa_hand: :D

Mertex, I'm not going to drink with you if you're going to bring veggies to the party.:eusa_hand: :D

Aw come on. I make a carrot soufflé I bet even you would like. :)

Forum List

Back