USMB Coffee Shop IV

I love liver fried with onions, and mixed with chunks of beef. My doc asked me to eat liver at least once a week, and have eggs for breakfast every day if possible. I have very low cholesterol, and these foods bring it up just a bit. Not to mention that liver is high in iron...:thup:
Way back in the day my Dad would make fried liver and onions on a regular basis. I like it then and have no doubt I could put some down now as well. It is good for ya, very high in iron.

I quit eating liver and onions when I got to big for my mother to beat me for not eating my supper.

I was fortunate. Although my mom loved liver-n-onions, my dad would not allow it in the house. The only time Mom ever ate it was at a restaurant. Stuff stinks so bad...

So I went to walmart and lo and behold, they're selling CALPHALON cookware. That stuff is right up there with the likes of AL-CLAD and such for quality, it's made in the USA. Granted pricey compared to the other pots and pans there, but still, has a very good reputation as well made and lasts, so I bought a 12" and 10" fry pan, and the 10" even came with a lid. Very happy, can't wait to try them out. Time for an omelet tomorrow morning I think.

My ex wife still has the Calphalon set.

So I went to walmart and lo and behold, they're selling CALPHALON cookware. That stuff is right up there with the likes of AL-CLAD and such for quality, it's made in the USA. Granted pricey compared to the other pots and pans there, but still, has a very good reputation as well made and lasts, so I bought a 12" and 10" fry pan, and the 10" even came with a lid. Very happy, can't wait to try them out. Time for an omelet tomorrow morning I think.

I have my Calhalon but even with them one has to be careful. They have a "coated" line of products. Like any coated pan the coating will eventually wear off, get scratched and chip. I learned that the hard way years ago.

Way back in the day my Dad would make fried liver and onions on a regular basis. I like it then and have no doubt I could put some down now as well. It is good for ya, very high in iron.
During WWII just about everything was rationed , especially meats. You could get plenty of liver and fish though. Tuesdays were the day you bought liver so it was always "liver on Tuesdays". Fish on Friday. Beef on Saturday.

According to the TV series MASH and other references to the Korean War, liver and fish were pretty much staples on the chow lines for our troops there too.

I love both. Maybe I should have been in the Army. :)

Dang, I feel like someone beat me on a rock, wrung me out, and now I'm hanging on a tree limb. Rarely do I call in sick, but I figure I've caught a virus that's been going around. My most recent contact having been this afternoon when I picked up a birthday gift for my granddaughter. Hhhmmm, perhaps I should hold off sending it to her?
I've called in sick and will spend the rest of the evening being quiet and sleeping.
Everyone have a good night!

Non stick? If so, for how long, and what kind of shape are they in?

I have my Calhalon but even with them one has to be careful. They have a "coated" line of products. Like any coated pan the coating will eventually wear off, get scratched and chip. I learned that the hard way years ago.
Yes there's definite rules to care for non stick, and that is what I bought. One, don't use too high of heat, preheat and cool them slowly, two, never run cool water in them when they're hot, three, use dish soap and a kitchen sponge to clean them, nothing real scratchy, four, don't stack them with other pans unless you pad between them with something, and five, usually, don't put them in a dish washer. Even so, eventually the non stick will degrade, they all do, you can't stop it. Some just last longer than others.

Last edited:
To be honest, a great sweet-potato pie with whipped cream and real bourbon vanilla ice cream is my absolute favorite!

Why would you want a vegetable with icecream?

Sweet potato pie is a southern staple in this country as a desert, looks a lot like pumpkin pie.

sweet_potato_pie.jpg

Hmm, not for me, sorry!

Dang, I feel like someone beat me on a rock, wrung me out, and now I'm hanging on a tree limb. Rarely do I call in sick, but I figure I've caught a virus that's been going around. My most recent contact having been this afternoon when I picked up a birthday gift for my granddaughter. Hhhmmm, perhaps I should hold off sending it to her?
I've called in sick and will spend the rest of the evening being quiet and sleeping.
Everyone have a good night!

I hope you feel better soon, GW.

Good night darlinks. I love you guys.

And we're still keeping vigil for
Harper (Save's granddaughter),
Sunshine,
Pogo’s friend Pat and special comfort for Pogo,
TK, and TK's grandma,
Sheila’s friend Shirley,
Spoonie, Ringel, and Sheila's sore backs,
Sherry’s Mom,
BDBoop, her sis, and family,
Hombre,
Pix,
Becki and Becki’s hubby,
Sheila and son Andrew,
Noomi’s Auntie Marj and Nana,
Sheila's sore foot post surgery healing,
Stat's aunt,
Complete healing for Mrs. Ringel and assurance for Ringel,
Wellness for BBD and GW,
007's Mom,
Sheila test results,
All of us and those we care about who are looking for work,
All who are dealing with colds and flu,
And all others we love and hold in concern.

And the light is on awaiting the return of Oddball, Sunshine, and Becki.

candle.gif

P.S. Sometimes in the editing of the vigil list or when I have switched computers, somebody gets dropped that is supposed to be on it. This will always be inadvertent and if ya'll would call it to my attention, it would be much appreciated.

I saw Elvis in the mid-1990s, on Mystery Street in New Orleans. True story.

He was driving a Volkswagen Beetle convertible. And it was not pink.

I saw Elvis in the Walmart in Sterling, IL just a couple of years ago.
Elvis cut my grass early this summer. He would smoke it. He left one day, said he was joining the circus. True story.

I saw Elvis outside of my last plane to Graz, Austria. He had a mic in his hand and was singing "Love me tender, love me sweet" way above the clouds. The dude lost some weight, too! True story.

I can stomach broccoli raw if I dip it in something, but the smell of cooked broccoli is nauseating.

I like cooked broccoli, with melted cheese on top. My youngest wouldn't eat broccoli and when we asked him why, he said "I don't like trees" ...we thought that was funny....probably not funny to anyone else...:)

I can do raw carrots, but hot and mushy are a no go.:eusa_hand:
I love carrots. I like them raw in salads, or just to nibble on, or dipping them in ranch dressing. Cooked carrots are good if they are sweet....and I especially love them caramelized.

Mertex, I'm not going to drink with you if you're going to bring veggies to the party.:eusa_hand: :D

:lol: I promise to leave them at home...:lol:

Forum List

Back