USMB Coffee Shop IV

LOL. Hombre always said that if he needed to sue somebody, he would get the meanest, sleaziest attorney he could find because they'd get the best settlement. We've never had to sue anybody so I never found out if he was serious about that. :)

I disagree with that one. The last thing you need is a sleazy lawyer because they'll weaken your case, not strengthen it.

My landlord hired the meanest, sleaziest guy he could find, and he's now in a position where it's going to cost him $100,000 - at a minimum, and he's now made it impossible to evict ANYONE from this building, and he can never evict me, because of whistle blower laws.

I disagree with that one. The last thing you need is a sleazy lawyer because they'll weaken your case, not strengthen it.

My landlord hired the meanest, sleaziest guy he could find, and he's now in a position where it's going to cost him $100,000 - at a minimum, and he's now made it impossible to evict ANYONE from this building, and he can never evict me, because of whistle blower laws.
Well maybe things work differently in Canada? When I was handling work comp claims, I knew which lawyers were going to give me problems denying a bogus claim. They could convincingly argue that white is black and up is down. And too often the judges would accept those arguments just to get the case closed and move on. And too often the insurance companies wouldn't challenge those cases and go ahead and pay because it was so expensive and time consuming to fight them.

Last edited:
As I recollect it, the first time he downloaded files in the cloud, all he got was a lot of bull from friend and family. Poor Moses. He had to do it twice.

People know how they SHOULD live, but they hate being called on their bullshit. We all know that we shouldn't lie, that no good ever comes of it, and life is easier when you just tell the truth, own up to your mistakes and learn from them, and go forward. But when the chips are down, how many of us truly do that?

The people turned on Moses because he called them on their bullshit.
Well maybe things work differently in Canada? When I was handling work comp claims, I knew which lawyers were going to give me problems denying a bogus claim. They could convincingly argue that white is black and up is down. And too often the judges would accept those arguments just to get the case closed and move on. And too often the insurance companies wouldn't challenge those cases and go ahead and pay because it was so expensive and time consuming to fight them.

Yes, quite differently. The Worker Compensation Program is run by the government and is more inclined to give you the benefit than fight it. You don't need to hire a lawyer to get the benefit. There is a Tribunal process for appealing decisions. Yes, you probably should have a lawyer to appeal to the Tribunal.

Everything here is done by Tribunal which is ostensibly easier for people to access than having to hire a lawyer and going to courts. The ONLY reason I'm able to do my own Landlord and Tenant Tribunal work is my 40 years of experience in taking cases to the Tribunal in Toronto.

People know how they SHOULD live, but they hate being called on their bullshit. We all know that we shouldn't lie, that no good ever comes of it, and life is easier when you just tell the truth, own up to your mistakes and learn from them, and go forward. But when the chips are down, how many of us truly do that?

The people turned on Moses because he called them on their bullshit.

Yes, quite differently. The Worker Compensation Program is run by the government and is more inclined to give you the benefit than fight it. You don't need to hire a lawyer to get the benefit. There is a Tribunal process for appealing decisions. Yes, you probably should have a lawyer to appeal to the Tribunal.

Everything here is done by Tribunal which is ostensibly easier for people to access than having to hire a lawyer and going to courts. The ONLY reason I'm able to do my own Landlord and Tenant Tribunal work is my 40 years of experience in taking cases to the Tribunal in Toronto.
The U.S. legal system for Work Comp is very different as each state sets its own rules and they can vary widely from state to state. And those who want to fight the system if their claim is denied or downsized usually do use a private attorney. We have many willing to take the case and get their fee only if they win. But as they almost always win in our court system unless outright fraud can be proven, it's pretty lucrative for them.

The U.S. legal system for Work Comp is very different as each state sets its own rules and they can vary widely from state to state. And those who want to fight the system if their claim is denied or downsized usually do use a private attorney. We have many willing to take the case and get their fee only if they win. But as they almost always win in our court system unless outright fraud can be proven, it's pretty lucrative for them.

In theory, our system should work better. Each Province has their own Workers Compensation Board, and the rules do vary from province to province, but all have Tribunals. In theory, the Tribunals are to keep the court rooms clear of relatively minor matters, and to simplify the process and make it accessible for regular people who can't afford a lawyer. The Province is, in effect, the ONLY disability claims outfit, reducing the variety of policies, and the number of companies fighting the payments.

In practice, the Tribunals are just as complicated and difficult to access as the Province and Federal Courts. But the work is being left to unqualified paralegals who pass a college level exam, on filling in forms, and how to file them, with little to no knowledge as to why they're doing this. Even worse, all Tribunals basically shut down during the lockdowns and are now months behind in processing claims. It takes 6 months to get a Landlord and Tenancy Tribunal Hearing Date. It used to take 2 to 3 weeks.

A family member recently asked me a question about going to the Labour Board Tribunal - claims for unpaid wages, illegal withholding, etc., and my answer was "I don't have the vaguest idea how that Tribunal works", because I never worked in litigation or labour law. Small claims court, Workers Compensation, Landlord and Tenant, and the Labour Board, are all Provincial jurisdictions, and all have Tribunals to deal with claims. I can do Small Claims and LL&T, but that's it.

Covid don't scare me... I have worked out with the powers that be, to die at the hands of a jealous husband...
Don't need a mask for that...
Still not skeert... 🎪

Ex-wife came home from a quick trip to the mainland on Tuesday afternoon... Wednesday afternoon she tested positive for covid... Friday night I started feeling congestion in my chest with a dry cough... Sat. afternoon (20 minutes ago, I tested positive)... FSP
I want my money back... As I was told I'm special...
This is interesting...

That was good and I'm not even a cooked spinach fan. Had a pound of baby spinach that I had been using for Greek/spinach salads and barely made a dent in it, had to cook the rest before it went bad.

Diced and cooked up a pound of bacon, amazingly it didn't produce that much bacon grease.
Removed the cooked bacon and added a diced up (large) onion, cooked until just turning translucent then added two crushed garlic cloves.
Cooked that for another minute then started adding the spinach a little at a time as it cooked down.
Once mostly cooked down I added the cooked bacon and about a quarter cup of feta cheese, cooked until the feta was just melting then turned the heat off and let the flavors mingle. \
This will make about 4 - 6 servings easily. :thup:

That was good and I'm not even a cooked spinach fan. Had a pound of baby spinach that I had been using for Greek/spinach salads and barely made a dent in it, had to cook the rest before it went bad.

Diced and cooked up a pound of bacon, amazingly it didn't produce that much bacon grease.
Removed the cooked bacon and added a diced up (large) onion, cooked until just turning translucent then added two crushed garlic cloves.
Cooked that for another minute then started adding the spinach a little at a time as it cooked down.
Once mostly cooked down I added the cooked bacon and about a quarter cup of feta cheese, cooked until the feta was just melting then turned the heat off and let the flavors mingle. \
Great recipe...

Only thing missing was a splash of

1655598740488.png

Still not skeert... 🎪

Ex-wife came home from a quick trip to the mainland on Tuesday afternoon... Wednesday afternoon she tested positive for covid... Friday night I started feeling congestion in my chest with a dry cough... Sat. afternoon (20 minutes ago, I tested positive)... FSP
I want my money back... As I was told I'm special...
This is interesting...
I hope you're under a doctor's supervision Ridgerunner. Chances are you'll breeze through it but we've lost three precious family members and two good friends to this strange virus and I don't want to lose any more.

I hope large servings. I was imagining you eating that pound of bacon at one sitting. :) By the way, I make something similar using maybe a half lb bacon and cabbage instead of the baby spinach. But the baby spinach sounds really good.

I hope large servings. I was imagining you eating that pound of bacon at one sitting. :) By the way, I make something similar using maybe a half lb bacon and cabbage instead of the baby spinach. But the baby spinach sounds really good.
Actually no, I've not only been eating healthier (in most cases) I've cut my portions down to fist size as opposed to double fist sized....... After doing that for a while I find I get full faster so I'm not listening to my taste buds yelling MORE, MORE but to my stomach saying that's enough. I prefer it with the cabbage myself but it was pretty good with the spinach.

Got pulled over by the cops tonite on the way home from the brother in laws. Didnt use your blinker blah blah blah. Sat there for twenty minutes wondering whats taking so long next thing I know theres a different cop at the window asking me to get out, and three moree in the dark. Does the patdown and then put me thru 4 different sobriety tests before administering the breathalyzer in which I promptly blew a 0.0.....which stumped em since they claimed to smell heavy alcohol when he took my license. Very simple fellas the wife is the partier, I am the driver....my job depends on my license so I never drive drunk......never......happy to help the trainee though...LLMMAOOO

I hope you're under a doctor's supervision Ridgerunner. Chances are you'll breeze through it, but we've lost three precious family members and two good friends to this strange virus and I don't want to lose any more.
No Doc as of right now... I will call his office on Mon. as long as it doesn't progress tonight or tomorrow...
I don't want to sound like a whack-a-doodle, but I feel I have all ready experienced the Covid back the very first week of the year, 2020... Before the introduction to the msm and the release of the hounds to warn/scare the masses... I got really sick for about 7 or 8 days... I'm about 20 hours into this round... It's not pleasant...
Thanks for your kind words Foxfyre

No Doc as of right now... I will call his office on Mon. as long as it doesn't progress tonight or tomorrow...
I don't want to sound like a whack-a-doodle, but I feel I have all ready experienced the Covid back the very first week of the year, 2020... Before the introduction to the msm and the release of the hounds to warn/scare the masses... I got really sick for about 7 or 8 days... I'm about 20 hours into this round... It's not pleasant...
Thanks for your kind words Foxfyre
Yes, I think Hombre and I likely had it in early 2020 though symptoms were relatively mild--mostly fatigue, low grade fever, headaches--and it passed fairly quickly. For most people it is pretty similar to the flu or at least no worse. But it can turn dangerously ugly in hours so please take care of yourself.

Got pulled over by the cops tonite on the way home from the brother in laws. Didnt use your blinker blah blah blah. Sat there for twenty minutes wondering whats taking so long next thing I know theres a different cop at the window asking me to get out, and three moree in the dark. Does the patdown and then put me thru 4 different sobriety tests before administering the breathalyzer in which I promptly blew a 0.0.....which stumped em since they claimed to smell heavy alcohol when he took my license. Very simple fellas the wife is the partier, I am the driver....my job depends on my license so I never drive drunk......never......happy to help the trainee though...LLMMAOOO
One time a long time ago I was executive director of a very large YWCA--olympic size pool, mammoth gym etc etc etc which was housed in a very large building. The city cops called me at 2 a.m. one morning when they found a door open & none of my executive staff were answering their phones. So I hurriedly threw on something and went down there, did a quick walk through of the building with the cops, and locked up. I was driving Hombre's new company car--wives were allowed to do that--and by that time I was wide awake so I went out on the interstate to cruise a bit, listen to the radio and chatter on the CB until I got sleepy.

The truckers began giving out smoky reports (meaning a state cop was patrolling out there) and I had just come to an exit so used it to turn around and head back toward town. A car immediately crossed the median and pulled in behind me and I knew it was the cop. I wasn't speeding so I didn't think much about it but he pulled up close to read my tag, backed off for a bit and then his lights came on so I pulled over.

This teeny bopper of a highway patrolman came to the window, asked for license & registration. I had my license but no registration. I explained it was my husband's company car. He asked me to get out of the car and said D L Peterson right? I named Hombre's company not realizing the new car was leased from D L Peterson. I explained who I was, what I was doing up late--the open door at the Y, city cops, etc. if he wanted to check. He said, 'well, ma'am you don't look like a car thief so I'll let you go. Have a good evening." He had stopped me because I turned around as soon as the smoky reports came on and the car was registered to a business.

I told this to one of our best friends who was an experienced highway patrolman and he was not happy at how the teeny bopper handled it. Later told me the guy had just completed training and it was his first time out by himself.
Like you said. Trainees. :)

One time a long time ago I was executive director of a very large YWCA--olympic size pool, mammoth gym etc etc etc which was housed in a very large building. The city cops called me at 2 a.m. one morning when they found a door open & none of my executive staff were answering their phones. So I hurriedly threw on something and went down there, did a quick walk through of the building with the cops, and locked up. I was driving Hombre's new company car--wives were allowed to do that--and by that time I was wide awake so I went out on the interstate to cruise a bit, listen to the radio and chatter on the CB until I got sleepy.

The truckers began giving out smoky reports (meaning a state cop was patrolling out there) and I had just come to an exit so used it to turn around and head back toward town. A car immediately crossed the median and pulled in behind me and I knew it was the cop. I wasn't speeding so I didn't think much about it but he pulled up close to read my tag, backed off for a bit and then his lights came on so I pulled over.

This teeny bopper of a highway patrolman came to the window, asked for license & registration. I had my license but no registration. I explained it was my husband's company car. He asked me to get out of the car and said D L Peterson right? I named Hombre's company not realizing the new car was leased from D L Peterson. I explained who I was, what I was doing up late--the open door at the Y, city cops, etc. if he wanted to check. He said, 'well, ma'am you don't look like a car thief so I'll let you go. Have a good evening." He had stopped me because I turned around as soon as the smoky reports came on and the car was registered to a business.

I told this to one of our best friends who was an experienced highway patrolman and he was not happy at how the teeny bopper handled it. Later told me the guy had just completed training and it was his first time out by himself.
Like you said. Trainees. :)
Did imbibe when I got home though....just to settle the nerves ya know. Wife got me a very smooth aged rum for Fathers day. Fantastic. Ron Zacapa Solera Gran Reserve......

Forum List

Back