USMB Coffee Shop IV

Last night the provincial government announced that Ontario hospitals can double the number of surgeries they can do until the backlog clears. The announcement was really sketchy on details but let's not look to closely, just yet. There is further good news in this announcement. Nobody's been going in for assessments during the pandemic, so the waiting list hasn't been growing throughout the pandemic.

I'm not going to get too excited here. How are the hospitals supposed to double their surgeries? The reason there's a waiting list is because we have a shortage of orthopedic surgeons. If it's a choice between getting a new knee NOW from someone "helping out", or waiting another 6 months for a real orthopedic surgeon to do it, I'll wait. I want the best cutter I can get. I'm not in pain and we only get one crack at this thing.

This morning, my Facebook featured an announcement of the National Ballet's 2021/2022 Season. They're doing both Sleeping Beauty, and Swan Lake. Sleeping Beauty is in March, and Swan Lake is in June, so I can afford to do both. Last year, my oldest granddaughter was old enough to go the Nutcracker, but there was no Nutcracker to take her to. I'm going to make her a "princess dress", and a new silk suit for myself, and we're going to the Nutcracker this year!!!!

This was cheering because news on the Blue Jays tickets was not. The tickets are nearly all sold out - right through to the end of the season. The cheapest seats are $56.00 plus taxes, so $60.00, plus transportation to Toronto, and at least two meals and and overnight visit. Not everyone in our group has had close to their usual income through the pandemic. We try to cater to the lowest economic situation within the group. Our big meal in a restaurant might end up being Denny's.

Foxfyre how can I thank you and everybody for prayers that brightened my total recovery as my knee is no longer severely hurting, and I'm so happy about feeling so totally well today. Not sure how, but, Thanks!!!

Also has anyone heard from Gallant Warrior? I heard there was an 8.2 Alaskan earthquake off the coast up that way that at first were saying it could cause tidal waves in the vicinity abd as far out to the Hawaiian Islands as well as the western coasts of North America. Then I read one piece saying the warnings were not as they thought of as a threat for reasons well over my head. Any way prayers up for all people, sea creatures, and vessels up North. :hands:

My former son-in-law lives on the north end of Vancouver Island. I'll join in those prayers that everyone is safe out that way.

That includes Grace, since I hear that wild fires are again threatening the area around Paradise. I don't know how far away she's living now, but I've been thinking of her since hearing about those fires.

Last night the provincial government announced that Ontario hospitals can double the number of surgeries they can do until the backlog clears. The announcement was really sketchy on details but let's not look to closely, just yet. There is further good news in this announcement. Nobody's been going in for assessments during the pandemic, so the waiting list hasn't been growing throughout the pandemic.

I'm not going to get too excited here. How are the hospitals supposed to double their surgeries? The reason there's a waiting list is because we have a shortage of orthopedic surgeons. If it's a choice between getting a new knee NOW from someone "helping out", or waiting another 6 months for a real orthopedic surgeon to do it, I'll wait. I want the best cutter I can get. I'm not in pain and we only get one crack at this thing.

This morning, my Facebook featured an announcement of the National Ballet's 2021/2022 Season. They're doing both Sleeping Beauty, and Swan Lake. Sleeping Beauty is in March, and Swan Lake is in June, so I can afford to do both. Last year, my oldest granddaughter was old enough to go the Nutcracker, but there was no Nutcracker to take her to. I'm going to make her a "princess dress", and a new silk suit for myself, and we're going to the Nutcracker this year!!!!

This was cheering because news on the Blue Jays tickets was not. The tickets are nearly all sold out - right through to the end of the season. The cheapest seats are $56.00 plus taxes, so $60.00, plus transportation to Toronto, and at least two meals and and overnight visit. Not everyone in our group has had close to their usual income through the pandemic. We try to cater to the lowest economic situation within the group. Our big meal in a restaurant might end up being Denny's.
Oh my, now I'm really jealous. I LOVE the ballet, but unfortunately I'm married to a guy who doesn't and I won't go alone.

My former son-in-law lives on the north end of Vancouver Island. I'll join in those prayers that everyone is safe out that way.

That includes Grace, since I hear that wild fires are again threatening the area around Paradise. I don't know how far away she's living now, but I've been thinking of her since hearing about those fires.
Gracie reports that she is dealing with heavy smoke from the fires but is not threatened by them where she is.

Foxfyre how can I thank you and everybody for prayers that brightened my total recovery as my knee is no longer severely hurting, and I'm so happy about feeling so totally well today. Not sure how, but, Thanks!!!

Also has anyone heard from Gallant Warrior? I heard there was an 8.2 Alaskan earthquake off the coast up that way that at first were saying it could cause tidal waves in the vicinity abd as far out to the Hawaiian Islands as well as the western coasts of North America. Then I read one piece saying the warnings were not as they thought of as a threat for reasons well over my head. Any way prayers up for all people, sea creatures, and vessels up North. :hands:

Beautress, they have done real studies that show that when prayers are said for people, they recover faster, and their health improves. It's one of those kindnesses we can do for one another that costs us nothing, but seems to really work.

Funny, Dragonlady, I was just wondering if any of our good Canadian neighbors were in Vancouver (which my late husband and I visited at least 3 times) so I'm including all in the range of any possibility of a tsunami or temblor for that matter if the shaking exacerbates. Be they Americans or guests of the US or Canada, I hope all will be safe from harm.

Oh my, now I'm really jealous. I LOVE the ballet, but unfortunately I'm married to a guy who doesn't and I won't go alone.

One of my neighbours in Toronto was the Principal Ballet Mistress for the National. Our daughters were best friends and they took ballet lessons together. My husband hated the ballet and wouldn't go with me either, but my daughter loved to go. She tried out for the National Ballet School, but the same injury that ended her competitive skating at age 11, ended any thoughts of the ballet too.

It's her daughter I'll be taking to the ballet. When Aurora was born - my first granddaughter, after 4 grandsons, my daughter said "Now you'll have a little girl to take to the ballet". She'll be 6 this year. And she has a cousin who will be 3 in January, who can join us next year.

Yesterday, I got up early cleaned the apartment, and then went to my friend's house to help in the garden after lunch. She's growing green and yellow beans in hanging baskets, on account of the rabbits. The rabbits ate all of her carrots and radishes, but she grew her lettuce in big urns so the rabbits couldn't reach it. I'm going to try this instead of flowers.

There was a couple cleaning out their large house and preparing to move, having a massive yard sale. I was on my bike but I bought a couple of tables from them, including a small table for my laptop. My friend drove over in her SUV and took them home for me. I have a large coffee table which takes up half of my living room, from the days of living in a large house. So I can now get rid of that. I have someone who wants it.

I'm now off to the Farmer's Market for some bannock and some fresh corn, and to see what I can get to make some jam. I didn't do any canning last year, and the store bought just isn't the same.

Last night's homecoming for the Toronto Blue Jays was the most emotional moment I can every remember as a Jays fan. I cried throughout the entire opening ceremonies. They last played in the Skydome at the end of September in 2019 - the last game of the season. Most heartwarming moment: Vladimir Guerrero Jr. singing along with the Canadian National anthem. He was born in Montreal, when his Dad was playing there.

There are two things I miss about living in Toronto - going to Jays games, and going to the theatre/ballet/symphony, and especially, taking my grandchildren to the theatre.

This morning's dose of cute...
Happy puppy...
20210729_165258.jpg

Going to test him on the boat this evening when we go fishing.

Beautress writing about 1980 got me thinking. That was 41 years ago meaning most stuff from that era is now antique/vintage or nearly so. In 1980 we had a kid in college, Hombre managed a claims office in Kansas & I was driving 2/3rds of Kansas and flying all over the country working for the Episcopal Diocese of Western Ks and doing communication workshops/training for the National Episcopal Church. (No, I am not Episcopalian.)

Loved the job but life was sometimes difficult due to 21+% interest rates, double digit inflation, high unemployment. Child abductions and messing with kid's Halloween candy were in the news, but in truth those issues were rare.

Many of those coming of age in the 1980's remember them with great fondness. We weren't at war with anybody. In 1980, we bought our first Rubik's cube, wore fake fur, were introduced to acrylic & polyester, and started watching CNN on TV. A new Buick Grand Prix cost less than $8k. We listened to Bette Midler's "The Rose" and "Escape" (the pina colada song) on the radio. Home computers were beginning to catch on though business wouldn't begin giving up its mainframes until 1981.

So where were you and what were you doing in 1980 assuming you had been born by then? :)
do you remember seeing this moment being shown over the years by chance Foxfyre?

pretty funny moment wouldnt you say? LOL how bout you beautress did you find this to be a funny moment?

do you remember seeing this moment being shown over the years by chance Foxfyre?

pretty funny moment wouldnt you say? LOL how bout you beautress did you find this to be a funny moment?

Errr, well it's complicated.... I majored in p.e. and human health, and we put a lot of emphasis on exemplary good sportsmanship in all sports including my Dad's first love, baseball. He coached an Army baseball team at Ft. Richardson, Alaska back when AK was a territory and sportsmanship was a requirement. When the coach's family was around we saw no monkeying around whatever the weather or who the competition was. Any display of that kinda stuff would have gotten about 500 pushups each. So I'd rather not say if you'll please pardon me.
:thup:

Forum List

Back