USMB Coffee Shop IV

do you remember seeing this moment being shown over the years by chance Foxfyre?

pretty funny moment wouldnt you say? LOL how bout you beautress did you find this to be a funny moment?

Yes I was watching that day in 1977, but I'm sorta with Beautress on this one. Apparently not a big deal as nobody got thrown out of the game, but neither Nettles or Brett displayed good examples of sportsmanship that day.

Had fun bringing our puppy on a boat ride. He wasn't scared and genuinely interested in everything.
Beached at a park with a small beach, and introduced him to the water. He had fun, but was hesitant as waves came in.
Had one incident of puppy overboard. He was walking along side rail climbing around and plopped over the side. Had him scooped up immediately into boat. A little more introduction to the water than we intended.
Now wife is purchasing a puppy life jacket.

This has been a stressful week.

I've been working a lot. I worked a bit over 56 hours this past week, not counting lunch and commute time. I don't want to complain about it; I am not forced to work any more than 8 hours a day, we've just been so busy that I feel as if I need to. We had one person leave our department for another job and another transfer to another department not that long ago. We also had a fairly new hire flake out on us suddenly and unexpectedly. There's one person who spent this past week out on PTO, and another who starts a week of PTO on Monday. Then we had a woman who I think is the longest-tenured member of my department (she may have been at the lab pretty much since it opened 4 or 5 years ago) get injured, she is going to be away for an unfortunately long time. So we currently have 3 new hires, and it takes a while before we allow anyone to do the work without it being 100% checked for accuracy, so they aren't yet saving us much, if any, time. I'm happy to get the overtime pay, of course, but I tend to feel personally responsible for things even when I am not, so it's stressful when I have to go home and leave a bunch of work behind needing to be done. I also tend to do a lot of different little things in my department, which can make it hard for me to get my main work done efficiently until everyone else is gone and I don't have all the distraction. I'll probably have at least another couple of weeks with the long hours, until the new hires get their feet under them enough to start saving significantly more work time than it takes in training them.

My girlfriend's son has signed up to join the Army. While military service is an honorable profession that can teach discipline, as well as provide skills and confidence to use after a person's service, I have some reservations about his suitability for military life. I did not serve myself, so I realize that my understanding of just what it will entail is limited. I don't want to get into detail about it, and I'm not disparaging his character, but he has some personality traits and quirks that I worry will not be well accepted. I hope that he is both willing and able to avoid some of the sorts of things that worry me. It's good that he's found, if not necessarily a lifelong career, at least a good starting point, assuming those issues that concern me don't cause him too much trouble. Of course, military service has some inherent dangers, so that's also a worry. And having her son finally leaving the nest, so to speak, is hard for my lady.

Lastly, and by far the biggest source of bad feelings, my lady's mother died on Monday. She was in the hospital because of an injury and was having complications. She suffered from COPD, and was a cancer survivor, so there were other health issues at play. However, she had had what was considered a successful surgery for her injury. She wasn't coming fully back from having been under sedation, but apparently after a brain scan revealed no abnormalities, it was expected that she was just slow to recover mentally, and would likely be back to herself soon. My girlfriend's brother had come down from out of state when the injury occurred, and he had been on his way back home when it started to look like their mom wouldn't survive, to give an idea of how this was surprising despite the hospitalization.

All of my working has made me feel guilty, because it keeps me away from my lady while she is grieving. She has told me repeatedly that it's fine, as she's been with her brother, her son, and her father, but I still feel badly about it.

There are going to be some fairly substantial changes coming. We are going to be moving in with her father. She has always told me that she couldn't leave this area because she wanted to be here to take care of one of her parents when the other one passed. We didn't expect it to happen this soon, but here we are. Her parents' house is quite a bit more spacious than ours, so that helps. However, we have 3 cats, 2 dogs, and a lizard here. With her son heading to the Army, he won't be able to care for any of them. Additionally, there are 2 dogs at her parents' house already. We aren't entirely certain how many animals we will reasonably be able to care for, or which will be able to get along with the others. At this point I think the hope is to keep one each of our current dogs and cats and find homes for the others. I think we'll be bringing the lizard, as well. The house isn't far from our current one, only a 10-15 minute drive, so I will be able to keep my current job without issue; I'll just need to get used to leaving slightly earlier, and I'll have to see what traffic is like from the new location.

With all of this going on, I haven't been doing a lot of posting, and probably will be very limited going forward, too. I do at least read my watched threads most nights, however, and have kept up with everyone here for the most part. You might not hear from me much, but I am lurking. :p

This has been a stressful week.

I've been working a lot. I worked a bit over 56 hours this past week, not counting lunch and commute time. I don't want to complain about it; I am not forced to work any more than 8 hours a day, we've just been so busy that I feel as if I need to. We had one person leave our department for another job and another transfer to another department not that long ago. We also had a fairly new hire flake out on us suddenly and unexpectedly. There's one person who spent this past week out on PTO, and another who starts a week of PTO on Monday. Then we had a woman who I think is the longest-tenured member of my department (she may have been at the lab pretty much since it opened 4 or 5 years ago) get injured, she is going to be away for an unfortunately long time. So we currently have 3 new hires, and it takes a while before we allow anyone to do the work without it being 100% checked for accuracy, so they aren't yet saving us much, if any, time. I'm happy to get the overtime pay, of course, but I tend to feel personally responsible for things even when I am not, so it's stressful when I have to go home and leave a bunch of work behind needing to be done. I also tend to do a lot of different little things in my department, which can make it hard for me to get my main work done efficiently until everyone else is gone and I don't have all the distraction. I'll probably have at least another couple of weeks with the long hours, until the new hires get their feet under them enough to start saving significantly more work time than it takes in training them.

My girlfriend's son has signed up to join the Army. While military service is an honorable profession that can teach discipline, as well as provide skills and confidence to use after a person's service, I have some reservations about his suitability for military life. I did not serve myself, so I realize that my understanding of just what it will entail is limited. I don't want to get into detail about it, and I'm not disparaging his character, but he has some personality traits and quirks that I worry will not be well accepted. I hope that he is both willing and able to avoid some of the sorts of things that worry me. It's good that he's found, if not necessarily a lifelong career, at least a good starting point, assuming those issues that concern me don't cause him too much trouble. Of course, military service has some inherent dangers, so that's also a worry. And having her son finally leaving the nest, so to speak, is hard for my lady.

Lastly, and by far the biggest source of bad feelings, my lady's mother died on Monday. She was in the hospital because of an injury and was having complications. She suffered from COPD, and was a cancer survivor, so there were other health issues at play. However, she had had what was considered a successful surgery for her injury. She wasn't coming fully back from having been under sedation, but apparently after a brain scan revealed no abnormalities, it was expected that she was just slow to recover mentally, and would likely be back to herself soon. My girlfriend's brother had come down from out of state when the injury occurred, and he had been on his way back home when it started to look like their mom wouldn't survive, to give an idea of how this was surprising despite the hospitalization.

All of my working has made me feel guilty, because it keeps me away from my lady while she is grieving. She has told me repeatedly that it's fine, as she's been with her brother, her son, and her father, but I still feel badly about it.

There are going to be some fairly substantial changes coming. We are going to be moving in with her father. She has always told me that she couldn't leave this area because she wanted to be here to take care of one of her parents when the other one passed. We didn't expect it to happen this soon, but here we are. Her parents' house is quite a bit more spacious than ours, so that helps. However, we have 3 cats, 2 dogs, and a lizard here. With her son heading to the Army, he won't be able to care for any of them. Additionally, there are 2 dogs at her parents' house already. We aren't entirely certain how many animals we will reasonably be able to care for, or which will be able to get along with the others. At this point I think the hope is to keep one each of our current dogs and cats and find homes for the others. I think we'll be bringing the lizard, as well. The house isn't far from our current one, only a 10-15 minute drive, so I will be able to keep my current job without issue; I'll just need to get used to leaving slightly earlier, and I'll have to see what traffic is like from the new location.

With all of this going on, I haven't been doing a lot of posting, and probably will be very limited going forward, too. I do at least read my watched threads most nights, however, and have kept up with everyone here for the most part. You might not hear from me much, but I am lurking. :p

Wow Montro. You are the employee every good boss hopes to find and I do hope you have a good one and are appreciated. They are increasingly rare these days I think--both good employees and good bosses. And you also sound like a good partner and a good friend. Maybe the Army is exactly what the kid needs? Anyway, I always smile when you check in.

Looking online.
About twenty bucks....pretty reasonable
jacket-hero.png

Nice handle to scoop up pup.

There is Shark Dog...
710Jw9oddJS._AC_SX466_.jpg

Didn't realize how many are available.

He is so tiny right now, I wonder if a large bobber on his collar would work. Lol.
He has been napping a lot today after his big day at the lake.
Unless he is a true water dog who can't stay out of the water, chances are he didn't appreciate his dunking and has learned he should be careful. I've seen many dogs jump off boats and figure out that wasn't a good thing to do. And I've seen them step off into a swimming pool and were surprised they couldn't walk on the water like they can on a sidewalk. Most rarely ever make that mistake/choice again.

However a doggie life jacket is a good thing to have, especially on large lakes or the ocean because things happen.

Unless he is a true water dog who can't stay out of the water, chances are he didn't appreciate his dunking and has learned he should be careful. I've seen many dogs jump off boats and figure out that wasn't a good thing to do. And I've seen them step off into a swimming pool and were surprised they couldn't walk on the water like they can on a sidewalk. Most rarely ever make that mistake/choice again.
We are going on a yearly camping trip in about ten days. Going to have him play in water on shore and more boat time. Hoping to make him accustomed to water in the land of lakes. He did enjoy the water when we played with him at beach.
Hopefully he avoids the side rail again. Pretty sure we will have a pup jacket for the trip.

Yes I was watching that day in 1977, but I'm sorta with Beautress on this one. Apparently not a big deal as nobody got thrown out of the game, but neither Nettles or Brett displayed good examples of sportsmanship that day.
Wow you were watching that day in 77,I am impressed you remember thst because I sure don’t,maybe your older than me is why,I was very young so that’s why I can’t remember if I saw it or not, oh I agree on that,but do you agree though that it’s funny and amusing watching them all pile on top of each other though,that’s what I find funny about it. :abgg2q.jpg: Agree or disagree? beautress.? I’m convinced it was not to be fir me to see a baseball fight in real life the fact I never have all this time. That’s what I love about baseball fights,they are differerent than a basketball or football fight because the other players are right there to stop it in football and basketball so they never escalate much.Where as seen in this video,in a baseball fight,everybodyalways piles on top of each other.:auiqs.jpg::rofl::lmao:

Looking online.
About twenty bucks....pretty reasonable
View attachment 520231
Nice handle to scoop up pup.

There is Shark Dog...
View attachment 520234
Didn't realize how many are available.
You all now know why I go crazy so much over my dog,I can’t believe you found that photo of that dog in the water with that suit on because that is EXACTLY what MY dog looks like,you can understand why so many agree with me she is adorable now I’m sure.:)

Wow you were watching that day in 77,I am impressed you remember thst because I sure don’t,maybe your older than me is why,I was very young so that’s why I can’t remember if I saw it or not, oh I agree on that,but do you agree though that it’s funny and amusing watching them all pile on top of each other though,that’s what I find funny about it. :abgg2q.jpg: Agree or disagree? beautress.? I’m convinced it was not to be fir me to see a baseball fight in real life the fact I never have all this time. That’s what I love about baseball fights,they are differerent than a basketball or football fight because the other players are right there to stop it in football and basketball so they never escalate much.Where as seen in this video,in a baseball fight,everybodyalways piles on top of each other.:auiqs.jpg::rofl::lmao:
I didn't like unsportsmanlike conduct. Yes, I saw Brett play a lot back then. I'm pretty much older than anybody but young at heart.

I sed I wuz sittin' it out on the fence. I guess I'll have to carry the recliner and an umbrella out to the middle of the fence...
<giggle>

I didn't like unsportsmanlike conduct. Yes, I saw Brett play a lot back then. I'm pretty much older than anybody but young at heart.
See the reason I enjoy going back to thst particular moment in time is the Royals and yankees had quite a rivalry back then with the Royals finally getting their revenge finally beating them in 80 with a SWEEP no less,once they got rid of that idiot the white rat,which is what I always said would happen when they did that. :yes_text12: that’s why I like that particular moment almost as much as bretts classic home run thst propelled them past the Yankees finally because like I said,baseball fights are unique In the fact it’s always amusing watching them all pile on top of each other as they did back then.:abgg2q.jpg: Where like I said,in football and basketball, fights are really not amusing sense thst never happens the fact they are broken up quickly sense the teammates of the other players are right there to keep it from getting into anything big.

Last edited:

I remember George Brett. One of my favourite players, but my memories of George are all from Exhibition Stadium - the Mistake By The Lake. I have such fond memories of that place but only because our ball tickets were good for free admittance to Ontario Place. I was embarrassed that our big league team played in such a cheesy, makeshift stadium.

We would go straight to the ball park after work. After the games, the group of seasons ticket holders would go over the foot bridge to Kelly's for a late supper and a cold brew, while we watched the sailboats come home to the marina as it got dark. That was my last single summer in Toronto.

Forum List

Back