USMB Coffee Shop IV

Wow, got down in the 40s last night and only in the upper 70s today....... Following a couple of weeks of lower 90s....... And I shut down the heaters a couple of weeks ago. That's okay, it's supposed to jump back up to the 80s and 90s for the rest of the week.
It's only in the mid to upper 90s here in Cowtown. Supposed to be in the low 100s next week and I can get rid of the extra blanket and stop wearing socks in bed.

Wow, got down in the 40s last night and only in the upper 70s today....... Following a couple of weeks of lower 90s....... And I shut down the heaters a couple of weeks ago. That's okay, it's supposed to jump back up to the 80s and 90s for the rest of the week.
It's only in the mid to upper 90s here in Cowtown. Supposed to be in the low 100s next week and I can get rid of the extra blanket and stop wearing socks in bed.
Yeah, had to pull my arctic parka out of the closet........ :eusa_whistle:

Is Foxfyre still with us?

Her and Hombre are running an illegal poker game in the back room down at the Twist & Shout... They stay really busy...

View attachment 348036
View attachment 348038
Hello old friend. Good to see you.

Her and Hombre are running an illegal poker game in the back room down at the Twist & Shout... They stay really busy...

View attachment 348036
View attachment 348038
Hello my friend. Good to see you.

I just grilled a couple of nice ribeye steaks, served em with my Italian broccoli. The problem is the steaks were huge, should have only cooked one but dayamn was that good!!! Have one to heat up later.

I love ribeye steak or most any steak really, I go with a quick hot broil, just enough that it doesn't look raw, maybe an 1/8 inch depth with lots of pepper, low salt and melted butter mixed with olive oil. Yup, life is great sometimes.

There should be one place in the USMB village where folks can just be themselves and get to know each other as we would if we lived next door or worked together or joined the same gym.

This is a place to just come in and say hi, let us know what's going on with you these days, celebrate joys, concerns, jokes, music, hobbies, interests, love and life.

So check your spurs, sidearms, politics, and religious fussing at the door, come in to enjoy an adult beverage or a hot cup of coffee and a piece of pie or whatever comforts your soul, and let's just enjoy each other.

04dKB.jpg

Holy cow Bloodrock444 !!! You haven't been here in like. . .a very long time. So happy you stopped in. And yes, just like a bad penny, I keep showing up. Too old to take any * off anybody and too fond of the Coffee Shoppers to not be here. Again, welcome home!

I just grilled a couple of nice ribeye steaks, served em with my Italian broccoli. The problem is the steaks were huge, should have only cooked one but dayamn was that good!!! Have one to heat up later.

Sounds soooo good. And I see Albertsons has country ribs on for $1/lb this week. Will stock up.

I was hunting for a blanket before sunup. That was the coldest cold front I ever remember coming through here this time of year.

Good News .. I've survived yet another surgery (left carotid artery) and I'm doing fine, in fact I feel just a little smarter, smart-ass wise.. :)

OMGosh Lumpy. You didn't tell us. I would have put you on the Vigil list. But glad the procedure was successful! I will likely need one of those if I live longer, but for now they're just watching.

I was hunting for a blanket before sunup. That was the coldest cold front I ever remember coming through here this time of year.
It's supposed to get down to 39 tonight........

Good News .. I've survived yet another surgery (left carotid artery) and I'm doing fine, in fact I feel just a little smarter, smart-ass wise.. :)

OMGosh Lumpy. You didn't tell us. I would have put you on the Vigil list. But glad the procedure was successful! I will likely need one of those if I live longer, but for now they're just watching.

I prefer to survive and hopefully tell the good news.. I'll tell you though this one had me a little worried but so far I'm one happy and amazed dude.. Surgery on Friday morning and home on Saturday afternoon. Now .. reveling in my darlin wife's loving hands, great food, pampering (nope .. not the diaper) and a heck of a lot of sleep. Good loving times in reality.

I was 80% blocked 2 months-ish ago but couldn't get the surgery, then got a (I think phony) positive covid -19 test (I felt great), then 2 negative tests and the party was on..

Best to You .. Lady Foxfyre... :11_2_1043:

Last edited:

I love ribeye steak or most any steak really, I go with a quick hot broil, just enough that it doesn't look raw, maybe an 1/8 inch depth with lots of pepper, low salt and melted butter mixed with olive oil. Yup, life is great sometimes.
I take em out of the fridge about an hour before cooking. Worcestershire sauce rubbed in then salt, pepper and rubbed sage, let it sit for a half hour then do the same to the other side and let it sit for a half hour. I prefer mine medium rare to medium. I use kosher coarse salt and a little more than you probably use, the salt helps tenderize the meat. That's why I now always brine my pork, brinning properly makes pork juicy and tender, over brinning ruins it, too strong of a brine makes it unpalatable.

I take em out of the fridge about an hour before cooking. Worcestershire sauce rubbed in then salt, pepper and rubbed sage, let it sit for a half hour then do the same to the other side and let it sit for a half hour. I prefer mine medium rare to medium. I use kosher coarse salt and a little more than you probably use, the salt helps tenderize the meat. That's why I now always brine my pork, brinning properly makes pork juicy and tender, over brinning ruins it, too strong of a brine makes it unpalatable.

Wow .. you are quite the cook and this isn't the first time I've been impressed..

For me, once I went rare and started loving mushrooms I couldn't go back. It does help that we live in cattle country and a healthy and happy 1/4 steer is only $3.25 a lb wrapped fresh or frozen.

btw. I thought nobody could compete with my country cut pork ribs but dang what your doing makes me mouth wateringly uncertain.

Last edited:
There should be one place in the USMB village where folks can just be themselves and get to know each other as we would if we lived next door or worked together or joined the same gym.

This is a place to just come in and say hi, let us know what's going on with you these days, celebrate joys, concerns, jokes, music, hobbies, interests, love and life.

So check your spurs, sidearms, politics, and religious fussing at the door, come in to enjoy an adult beverage or a hot cup of coffee and a piece of pie or whatever comforts your soul, and let's just enjoy each other.

04dKB.jpg

Holy cow Bloodrock444 !!! You haven't been here in like. . .a very long time. So happy you stopped in. And yes, just like a bad penny, I keep showing up. Too old to take any * off anybody and too fond of the Coffee Shoppers to not be here. Again, welcome home!

I had to threaten Bloodrock into coming back. I just got off the phone with him and he has 3 or 4 medical appointments the next couple days. I told him you were still here.

Wow .. you are quite the cook and this isn't the first time I've been impressed..

For me, once I went rare and started loving mushrooms I couldn't go back. It does help that we live in cattle country and a healthy and happy 1/4 steer is only $3.25 a lb wrapped fresh or frozen.

btw. I thought nobody could compete with my country cut pork ribs but dang what your doing makes me mouth wateringly uncertain.
If you brine ribs you only want to brine them for 1 - 6 hours but ONLY if they don't come pre-brined, check with the butcher to find out. Brining also makes chicken and turkey more flavorful and juicier.
Typically it's one cup of salt to one gallon of water but other flavorings can be added like apple juice/cider, garlic, sodas, brown sugar, etc. What you're brining determines how long to keep the meats/poultry in the solution. The internet is filled with brining recipes and how tos.
I always use a charcoal chimney to start the charcoal, never use charcoal starter and I use all natural charcoal and wood from fruit and nut trees, NEVER softwoods. Of course if your using a gas grill....... :dunno:
Oh and if you're talking beef ribs a lot of people say not to brine beef, I don't, I use a salt rub, a very little bit for tender cuts and a full coating for tougher cuts. Obviously you wipe/rinse the salt off the heavy coated pieces before cooking them. You can take a cheap, tough chuck steak and turn it into filet mignon by using the salt coating method and the finished product will not be salty. Properly done the salt breaks down the connective tissue that makes the meat tough.

BTW, thanks for the compliment. :thup:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back