USMB Coffee Shop IV

I just got back from dropping a few things off at Goodwill. Apparently they donā€™t take clothes hangers, so I guess those will get recycled. In a bit Iā€™m going to go pick up my rental van, bring it back here, and load up most of my stuff. Iā€™ll put a couple of things in tomorrow morning, then itā€™s moving time.

I am happy to announce the Return of Movie Night! Movie Night Rides Again! Son of Movie Night!

I'm showing nothing but comedies and musicals for the next 12 weeks. We need a laugh and escapism.

Thursday June 25 we'll begin with Some Like it Hot! Then, July 2 it's Yankee Doodle Dandy. On July 9 we'll watch Born Yesterday with Judy Holliday and Broderick Crawford playing the funniest game of gin rummy ever filmed.

Want more? On the 16th it's William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles in The Thin Man.

The corn will be poppin' and I'm treating everyone to wine and cheese on opening night. If you're in the Tri-State area, do drop by!

I would be at every one of your movie nights, if I was anywhere near, Nosmo.

Talking of movies, here is a quaint movie from 1936. Be warned the last four minutes are missing.

Its an H.G. Wells story about an ordinary man who the Gods gave the power to work miracles.
I will tell you the ending because the ending is missing. I purchased the DVD of the film so I know how it ends, and it will not spoil the story to know the ending. But it will spoil it if you watch the film and can't see the ending.
So the ending is that after a lot of consultation with all kinds of people about what to do with his powers, the man who could work miracles becomes a complete megalomaniac and decides to rule the world himself. He creates a huge temple and teleports all the worlds leaders to it to tell them how he will run the world. One man says we need time to consider this. So the man who could work miracles says, I want this decided before the sun goes down. They say its not enough time. so he says, then I will stop the world from turning. Someone says 'no' you can't do that, so he says yes I can and stops the world turning. The result is everything and everyone is hurled into space.
But he had previously made himself invincible so he is still alive, and he realizes he does not know how to rule the world and wishes himself back to the point in time where he could not do miracles. The world is restored to normal and the Gods discuss their mistake, saying maybe if we give humans a small amount of power at a time they would do better.

Sometimes a 'small amount of power at a time' isn't working out all that well either.

I just got back from dropping a few things off at Goodwill. Apparently they donā€™t take clothes hangers, so I guess those will get recycled. In a bit Iā€™m going to go pick up my rental van, bring it back here, and load up most of my stuff. Iā€™ll put a couple of things in tomorrow morning, then itā€™s moving time.

Moving again? Did I miss an earlier announcement? Good thing? Bad thing? Where ya going?

There's a dog in the classroom:

1591983441410.png

I just watched, 'things to come' and it must have been a depressing film for people in 1936. It predicted war that would last until the 1970's and pestilence that would wipe out half the population. It can be of little consolation to the people in 1936 that the film ends in around 2035 when it predicts a new order of world peace, and a scientific age of wonders.

Moving again? Did I miss an earlier announcement? Good thing? Bad thing? Where ya going?
Iā€™m headed back to Florida. Hopefully a good thing, weā€™ll see. Iā€™m not a fan of the weather. :lol:

Iā€™m headed back to Florida. Hopefully a good thing, weā€™ll see. Iā€™m not a fan of the weather. :lol:

Sounds interesting. Terrible time of year to move to Florida I think, but keep us advised.

Sounds interesting. Terrible time of year to move to Florida I think, but keep us advised
The timing has been terrible, but we decided on it early in the year.

We? The plot thickens?

I've moved in with my girlfriend. I'm mostly unpacked now. I have a job interview this morning, and it turns out that over the last few days of moving, I got another job offer and a third job is expecting to have me come in for a pre-employment screening. I am not really comfortable with this sort of situation because I worry about accepting a job offer, then deciding another offer is better when I get more information, but better too many choices than not enough. :)

Forum List

Back