USMB Coffee Shop IV

See you next time friends! Bedtime for me :) :sleep:
EY119KNXQAAGCiQ.jpg
:bye1:

There should be one place in the USMB village where folks can just be themselves and get to know each other as we would if we lived next door or worked together or joined the same gym.

This is a place to just come in and say hi, let us know what's going on with you these days, celebrate joys, concerns, jokes, music, hobbies, interests, love and life.

So check your spurs, sidearms, politics, and religious fussing at the door, come in to enjoy an adult beverage or a hot cup of coffee and a piece of pie or whatever comforts your soul, and let's just enjoy each other.

04dKB.jpg
Is Foxfyre still with us?

Holy cow Bloodrock444 !!! You haven't been here in like. . .a very long time. So happy you stopped in. And yes, just like a bad penny, I keep showing up. Too old to take any * off anybody and too fond of the Coffee Shoppers to not be here. Again, welcome home!

I had to threaten Bloodrock into coming back. I just got off the phone with him and he has 3 or 4 medical appointments the next couple days. I told him you were still here.

Soooo happy you did! I like both you guys a lot.

I just grilled a couple of nice ribeye steaks, served em with my Italian broccoli. The problem is the steaks were huge, should have only cooked one but dayamn was that good!!! Have one to heat up later.

I love ribeye steak or most any steak really, I go with a quick hot broil, just enough that it doesn't look raw, maybe an 1/8 inch depth with lots of pepper, low salt and melted butter mixed with olive oil. Yup, life is great sometimes.
I take em out of the fridge about an hour before cooking. Worcestershire sauce rubbed in then salt, pepper and rubbed sage, let it sit for a half hour then do the same to the other side and let it sit for a half hour. I prefer mine medium rare to medium. I use kosher coarse salt and a little more than you probably use, the salt helps tenderize the meat. That's why I now always brine my pork, brinning properly makes pork juicy and tender, over brinning ruins it, too strong of a brine makes it unpalatable.

Wow .. you are quite the cook and this isn't the first time I've been impressed..

For me, once I went rare and started loving mushrooms I couldn't go back. It does help that we live in cattle country and a healthy and happy 1/4 steer is only $3.25 a lb wrapped fresh or frozen.

btw. I thought nobody could compete with my country cut pork ribs but dang what your doing makes me mouth wateringly uncertain.

Yes, I have considered adopting Ringel now and then. :)

This is an actual real estate photo. So what do you think guys? Does the TV look out of place?

View attachment 348411
I would hate to be in that room and it probably smells funny.

They could have at least air brushed the TV a gaudy pink or gold to go with all that frou-frou.

It is an amazing room but uninviting I think. Other anomalies I noted is that the vase appears to be turned over onto its side on the coffee table? And the kleenex box on the mantle is not color coded. (I am probably the least finicky person in the world re decor--I go for comfort and livability as opposed to style--but I do try to color coordinate the tissue boxes.

And the kleenex box on the mantle is not color coded. (I am probably the least finicky person in the world re decor--I go for comfort and livability as opposed to style--but I do try to color coordinate the tissue boxes.

You are a gazillion miles ahead of me Foxfyre... My theory is why even buy kleenex when you have two, yes count'em 2 shirt sleeves...

This is an actual real estate photo. So what do you think guys? Does the TV look out of place?

View attachment 348411

They could have at least air brushed the TV a gaudy pink or gold to go with all that frou-frou.

It is an amazing room but uninviting I think. Other anomalies I noted is that the vase appears to be turned over onto its side on the coffee table? And the kleenex box on the mantle is not color coded. (I am probably the least finicky person in the world re decor--I go for comfort and livability as opposed to style--but I do try to color coordinate the tissue boxes.
It's still a place of refuge.

I read this week that Dr. Faucci has now recommended that schools reopen. But the question remains whether the students should wear masks at school. Some thoughts (not mine but just some thoughts) of how masks might work out in elementary school:

Please don’t snap Billy's mask in his face.

Your mask is not a necklace, bracelet, or any other form of jewelry.

You should not be using your mask as a slingshot. Please put it back on your face.

Please do not chew on your mask.

Your mask should be on your face, not on the back of your head

I’m sorry your mask is wet, but that's what happens when you lick the inside of it.

I’m sorry you sneezed. Here's a tissue. Wipe out the snot as well as you can.

No, you may not blow your nose in your mask.

Why is your mask soaking wet? You just came back from the bathroom?
And you put it back on your face after you dropped it?

I’m sorry you broke the elastic on your mask by seeing how far the band would stretch. Now you'll have to hold the mask on your face ... or use this duct tape.

Please take the mask off your eyes and watch where you're walking. I don’t care if you have X-ray vision.

Please take the mask off of your pencil and stop twirling it.

I know the mask fits over your pants like a knee pad, but please take it off of your leg and put it on your face.

What do you mean you tried to eat your lunch through your mask?

Please don't share your mask or trade masks. I don’t care if you like Ingrid's mask better than yours.

I’m sorry, but your mask is not school appropriate.

We're not comparing our masks to other kids' masks… everyone’s mask is unique and special.

No, you may not decorate your mask instead of doing your work. I don’t care if you have a Sharpie.

You're not a pirate, please take your mask off your eye.

Try to get the gum off as much as you can.

Please don't use your mask to pick your nose.

I’m sorry you tripped, but that’s what happens when you put your feet inside the elastic of your mask.

No, your mask doesn't make it hard to get your work done.

Your Mom will need to get you a new mask since you chewed a hole in that one.

Why is there a shoe print on your mask?

No, you cannot eat the snow through your mask.

I don’t care if you were in art class and being creative; we do not decorate our masks.

We do not beam other kids in the face with balls. No, their masks don’t make it not hurt.

Please don't plug your nose holes with your mask.

Who's making that noise?

I’m sorry your ponytail is stuck, that’s what happens when you see how many times you can wrap it around your mask.

I’m sorry to tell you, but your child thought her mask made her a superhero. She tried to fly off the jungle gym at recess …

I’m sorry your breath stinks in your mask, maybe we should all try to brush better.

Please take those cookies out of your mask. No, you are not a chipmunk.

View attachment 348411

I'm not much on pink, gold and frills and luckily Kath and I have similar tastes but the rule is inside the house is hers and I get the garage and outside stuff although she still tells me what NOT to do and winky hints .. :laugh:

With 4 kids and all their friends we went comfy, bulky and durable (oak, wrought iron and thick leather).

Couple things;
We had our first case of The Wuhan at work. Couple hundred employees at 24 hr operation. Only African American that starts few hrs behind me was the unlucky one. He is back at work alrdy. Person he was in constant contact with shows no symptoms.

Came home from work tonite to see 4 cops roll up and park on side yard street. Have a corner lot. Wife was on the deck and they seemed to be eyeing us up but continued around the front down the street with their guns drawn. We went inside to let them do what they needed. Thought they were headed to the Mexicans 2 doors down who always have a van with two guys in it idling watching the street. Instead they hit the next door neighbor. Now I know he does some sort of drug at least occasionally or did because he's tripped out on me twice. Claimed someone was tunneling under his house to get at his daughter. Cops showed up and I was hoping they would ask to go inside to assure his safety and get a look around but they didnt. Other than that he's been a good neighbor. Got a women who moved in who was fixing things up. Seemed in better place. Very odd.

I am happy to announce the Return of Movie Night! Movie Night Rides Again! Son of Movie Night!

I'm showing nothing but comedies and musicals for the next 12 weeks. We need a laugh and escapism.

Thursday June 25 we'll begin with Some Like it Hot! Then, July 2 it's Yankee Doodle Dandy. On July 9 we'll watch Born Yesterday with Judy Holliday and Broderick Crawford playing the funniest game of gin rummy ever filmed.

Want more? On the 16th it's William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles in The Thin Man.

The corn will be poppin' and I'm treating everyone to wine and cheese on opening night. If you're in the Tri-State area, do drop by!

Talking of movies, here is a quaint movie from 1936. Be warned the last four minutes are missing.

Its an H.G. Wells story about an ordinary man who the Gods gave the power to work miracles.
I will tell you the ending because the ending is missing. I purchased the DVD of the film so I know how it ends, and it will not spoil the story to know the ending. But it will spoil it if you watch the film and can't see the ending.
So the ending is that after a lot of consultation with all kinds of people about what to do with his powers, the man who could work miracles becomes a complete megalomaniac and decides to rule the world himself. He creates a huge temple and teleports all the worlds leaders to it to tell them how he will run the world. One man says we need time to consider this. So the man who could work miracles says, I want this decided before the sun goes down. They say its not enough time. so he says, then I will stop the world from turning. Someone says 'no' you can't do that, so he says yes I can and stops the world turning. The result is everything and everyone is hurled into space.
But he had previously made himself invincible so he is still alive, and he realizes he does not know how to rule the world and wishes himself back to the point in time where he could not do miracles. The world is restored to normal and the Gods discuss their mistake, saying maybe if we give humans a small amount of power at a time they would do better.

Talking of movies, here is a quaint movie from 1936. Be warned the last four minutes are missing.

Its an H.G. Wells story about an ordinary man who the Gods gave the power to work miracles.
I will tell you the ending because the ending is missing. I purchased the DVD of the film so I know how it ends, and it will not spoil the story to know the ending. But it will spoil it if you watch the film and can't see the ending.
So the ending is that after a lot of consultation with all kinds of people about what to do with his powers, the man who could work miracles becomes a complete megalomaniac and decides to rule the world himself. He creates a huge temple and teleports all the worlds leaders to it to tell them how he will run the world. One man says we need time to consider this. So the man who could work miracles says, I want this decided before the sun goes down. They say its not enough time. so he says, then I will stop the world from turning. Someone says 'no' you can't do that, so he says yes I can and stops the world turning. The result is everything and everyone is hurled into space.
But he had previously made himself invincible so he is still alive, and he realizes he does not know how to rule the world and wishes himself back to the point in time where he could not do miracles. The world is restored to normal and the Gods discuss their mistake, saying maybe if we give humans a small amount of power at a time they would do better.

Forum List

Back