USMB Coffee Shop IV

Happy New year everyone, hope everyone has a grand and prosperous year. Still keeping myself very busy, I will pop in from time to time to say hello. :thup:

You never told us how that crown rib roast turned out. :)
Turned out wonderfully. Ended up using the bones, fat and some leftover meat to make a beef stock then made beef with rice and vegetable soup.

2018 has just begun, and I'm already feeling a bit depressed about it. This year is almost surely my final full year as the little one's nanny. I expect to be leaving by early 2019; it depends on how long after I get my associate's I can get a job and find a new place to live. If it were up to me, I'd stay for another 3 years. :p I don't know what the job situation will be like, and I'm worried about not seeing the little one much once I'm gone. I'd like to be able to get a job close by, a place to live close by, and be on a schedule which would allow me to pick the little one up after school. Having all the stars align for that to happen is pretty unlikely, however.

So looking ahead, being the pessimist I am, I am seeing myself living too far to comfortably see the little one except on rare occasions. I need to put Skype on her Android tablet, so at least we will be able to see each other through that somewhat frequently. I'm also going to have to try to hide from her how bad I'm going to feel about leaving her.

It's bad enough she has to grow up. I might be lucky to avoid her going through puberty, but after almost 9 years of helping to raise her (more than 9 by the time I leave), I am not looking forward to that ending.

Happy New year everyone, hope everyone has a grand and prosperous year. Still keeping myself very busy, I will pop in from time to time to say hello. :thup:

Turned out wonderfully. Ended up using the bones, fat and some leftover meat to make a beef stock then made beef with rice and vegetable soup.

I was curious because they always look so beautiful and appealing, but I've never been willing to spring for one because they are so expensive.

In the United States, sometime between midnight and dawn this morning, the first full moon of 2018 reached its largest/brightest point in the sky. One of two super moons this month, It will still appear as in its full glory tonight and, for those of us who enjoy clear skies, the moon rise should be awesome as this is the largest, brightest super moon of the year.

Usually dubbed the 'wolf moon' because of the wolf packs howling outside Native American villages this time of year, it is also sometimes the Old Moon or the Moon after Yule. Some Indian tribes called it the full snow moon.

We will be treated to a second super moon--slightly less bright than tonight's moon but the slight reduction in brightness will be indiscernible to us--on January 31 this month. February won't have a full moon at all this year.

supermoons_small.jpg

Last edited:
2018 has just begun, and I'm already feeling a bit depressed about it. This year is almost surely my final full year as the little one's nanny. I expect to be leaving by early 2019; it depends on how long after I get my associate's I can get a job and find a new place to live. If it were up to me, I'd stay for another 3 years. :p I don't know what the job situation will be like, and I'm worried about not seeing the little one much once I'm gone. I'd like to be able to get a job close by, a place to live close by, and be on a schedule which would allow me to pick the little one up after school. Having all the stars align for that to happen is pretty unlikely, however.

So looking ahead, being the pessimist I am, I am seeing myself living too far to comfortably see the little one except on rare occasions. I need to put Skype on her Android tablet, so at least we will be able to see each other through that somewhat frequently. I'm also going to have to try to hide from her how bad I'm going to feel about leaving her.

It's bad enough she has to grow up. I might be lucky to avoid her going through puberty, but after almost 9 years of helping to raise her (more than 9 by the time I leave), I am not looking forward to that ending.

I bet you have been the best nanny the little one could have had, and you feel what you feel. But Mama Fox's counsel is to not envision how the future is going to be, most especially if it diminishes your joy in the present. As Mr. Lizard said to Cinderella, "Enjoy it while it lasts." It is good you are preparing for your future but you never know how things are really going to turn out and what the circumstances will be. So hope for the best and prepare as is practical, but worrying about what might be never ever helped anything.

A fairly obscure U2 song. Don't know how well I do it, but I like the song. I think it's basically saying goodbye to someone you love.

One Tree Hill

Obscure? That's one of my favorite U2 songs though it is not one I would play to encourage me to be more upbeat and enthusiastic. :) A decent interpretation of it though. Well done.

A fairly obscure U2 song. Don't know how well I do it, but I like the song. I think it's basically saying goodbye to someone you love.

One Tree Hill

Obscure? That's one of my favorite U2 songs though it is not one I would play to encourage me to be more upbeat and enthusiastic. :) A decent interpretation of it though. Well done.

Their songs are incredible simple. Usually three chords. You really have to dress 'em up to make them sound interesting. The singer and the guitar player make the band. :)

One Tree Hill

Their songs are incredible simple. Usually three chords. You really have to dress 'em up to make them sound interesting. The singer and the guitar player make the band. :)

I agree that they were not the most skilled musicians in the music world, but I did like a lot of their stuff and it usually is easy to listen to.

I was literally put under anesthesia, on the table, and the hospital had some kind of flood and gas leak. So no surgery today.

I go in there on Thursday morning instead. AGAIN.

I was literally put under anesthesia, on the table, and the hospital had some kind of flood and gas leak. So no surgery today.

Oh my goodness ricechickie. That is brutal. And CRUEL!!! Even if they did not intend to do that to you. I can imagine the frustration you must feel. Sending extra strengthening vibes of courage and endurance as you have to wait.

Foxfyre , have you looked at the Eagle Cam today?

Just did. M1 (the daddy eagle) was brooding on the nest. Mom and Dad are both hunting extra diligently to keep themselves and two hungry eaglets fed. Last year they only had one baby to feed and that was a lot easier. I apparently checked in after the last feeding.

For those who would be interested in the eagle cam, here's the link again:
Live Eagle Cam

I put an icon for it on my desk top so I can look in intermittently.
I checked them a bit ago. Mom and Dad got a bunch of fish for them!

Oh my goodness ricechickie. That is brutal. And CRUEL!!! Even if they did not intend to do that to you. I can imagine the frustration you must feel. Sending extra strengthening vibes of courage and endurance as you have to wait.

I trust my surgeon. He said he didn’t want to evacuate with me across the hospital with a wide open abdomen.

So, yeah, I’m frustrated and disappointed, but what are you gonna do? What kills me is that I did all the nervous waiting for nothing.

Foxfyre , have you looked at the Eagle Cam today?

Just did. M1 (the daddy eagle) was brooding on the nest. Mom and Dad are both hunting extra diligently to keep themselves and two hungry eaglets fed. Last year they only had one baby to feed and that was a lot easier. I apparently checked in after the last feeding.

For those who would be interested in the eagle cam, here's the link again:
Live Eagle Cam

I put an icon for it on my desk top so I can look in intermittently.
I checked them a bit ago. Mom and Dad got a bunch of fish for them!

I just looked in too. Both babies with full crops and after M1 and Harriett finishing dinner themselves, the 5 o'clock feeding is over. :) At least the babies aren't pecking at each other now. That was so hard to watch but the moderators assured us they weren't hurting each other.

Forum List

Back