Upstate NY Mayor wants "injection sites" for heroin addicts

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
File it under libs gone wild. Upstate Ithaca NY mayor Svante Myrick wants to create a safe environment and clean needles for heroin addicts. It's unclear if NY taxpayers would supply the heroin or if the addicts would furnish their own drugs but the state would furnish clean needles and standby medical help. Ithaca mayor Svante Myrick 28, who vaguely resembles president Obama and who's own father was allegedly a heroin addict, claims that the "injection sites" would cut down on drug overdose deaths and diseases caused by shared needles. It's probably true that taxpayer funded medics and needles would probably cut down on heroin addict deaths but at what cost and what side effects? First of all a safe zone for IV drug users would most likely increase the demand for heroin and with the demand the price goes up and when the price goes up the crime rate goes way up. What happens when a college kid wants to experiment with IV drugs and the state furnishes a safe environment to get high? You get another middle class kid with a drug habit.

Last edited:
Must be those New York values Cruz was talking about. they are Aiding and abetting drug abuse. how's that for your government caring about you?

Safe Street programs across the nation decrease crime and property damage and costs to the tax payers many times over.

The problem remains the puritanical strain in America that demands "sin" be punished.

Some people will be addicts. There is no reason they should hurt the rest of us if the cops and the medicos can help them take care of their addiction.

Of course it will cut down on prisons and personnel to run them.

Good.

Well...if he vaguelly resembles Obama we can't have that!

Regardless, science shows addiction is a disease and it's about time we start looking at it as a disease and not a moral failing, and treating it. If they can't get off the stuff, then at least it would be good to prevent deaths.

right, why should I have to pay for someone failings with addiction. I have my own problems and I didn't have a hand in getting them addicted. The bleeding hearts wants to force people the workers/taxpayers to pay for all their generosity and pet projects

Well...if he vaguelly resembles Obama we can't have that!

Regardless, science shows addiction is a disease and it's about time we start looking at it as a disease and not a moral failing, and treating it. If they can't get off the stuff, then at least it would be good to prevent deaths.
Apparently the program offers therapy to the addicts but that has always been the case. Nothing but good old left wing wishful thinking indicates that "injection sites" might encourage addicts to "get off the stuff". The opposite is likely.

Why is it even necessary to set up "injection sites"? Isn't 'In the arm" good enough?

Free booze to alcoholics, too? I am there! Kidding.Helping feed addictions is called enabling. Paint it in pink and call it whatever. Let's hand out weapons to violent people, brass knuckles to wife beaters. I don't know what the answer is, but this is capitulating. Prolonging the inevitable, kicking the can down the road. Face your demons.

Safe Street programs across the nation decrease crime and property damage and costs to the tax payers many times over.

The problem remains the puritanical strain in America that demands "sin" be punished.

Some people will be addicts. There is no reason they should hurt the rest of us if the cops and the medicos can help them take care of their addiction.

Good.
right, why should I have to pay for someone failings with addiction. I have my own problems and I didn't have a hand in getting them addicted. The bleeding hearts wants to force people the workers/taxpayers to pay for all their generosity and pet projects

Why should I have to pay for other people's kid's education? I don't have kids :dunno:

But maybe doing benefits us all.

Maintaining Safe Streets Programs can reduce by 70 to 75% of $$$ we use for the failed programs and prison systems that we use now. They cut down significantly on crime and injuries and deaths.

Not doing this "enables" the system to continue to injure all of us in one way or another.

Last edited:
What happens when the inevitable arrest and the heroin addicts end up behind bars? Does the state still have a responsibility to offer a secure environment to shoot drugs? When does it end? What happens to the innocent kids who get hooked on I.V. drugs because the state offers a pleasant environment to get high?

What happens when the inevitable arrest and the heroin addicts end up behind bars? Does the state still have a responsibility to offer a secure environment to shoot drugs? When does it end? What happens to the innocent kids who get hooked on I.V. drugs because the state offers a pleasant environment to get high?
they never think that far ahead. when it happens they just say, Oops we messed up so sorry. but they damn sure expect the taxpayers to pay for every dime of it.

The CIA needs more injection sites?

wow

business is good for the CIA and its heroin trade we can see...

God how is hate these people....they don;t give a shit about Americans....all they care is money

sad

Good.

Why should I have to pay for other people's kid's education? I don't have kids :dunno:

But maybe doing benefits us all.
take that up with the state you live in. most of us are already working our finger to the bone just trying to take care OUR FAMILIES let alone every freaking loser, leech, parasite in the country. I didn't sign a contract for that just because I was born here and I don't live in commune. so if New Yorkers want's to pay for them they can have it. let more people suck the life from them and their families

Why Americans trade with the poppy seed heroin in Afghanistan

want to know?

all of you?

left and right?

because of the money.

Americans should know what's going on ....

Even if they are disgusted ....

Let them know all the shit that goes on...

Svante is just trying to be sensitive to the problems of white constituents.

When will you people realize that the so called war on drugs has been an unmitigated failure? We need to legalize or at least decriminalize all drugs

We could take a fraction of the billions saved and instead of throwing nonviolent drug offenders in jail offer rehab instead.

Of course we could and save so much money.

But the Steph Idiot Brigade thinks doing the same inexpensive things will work. Idiocy.

Forum List

Back