U.S. Open women's final features Naomi Osaka's masks, Black hair and a bold cultural statement

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I'm sure there are people who are unaware that this bias against black hair styles is a "thing". I mentioned it once to some German friends while visiting Germany several decades ago, although I didn't present it as a bias but that wearing my hair straight instead of in natural styles seems to make the white people I worked with more "comfortable".

Naomi Osaka’s hair doesn’t impact her 120 mph serve or powerful baseline play. But it does impact how she is perceived in the bright, white tennis world.

2020 US Open - Day 5

Naomi Osaka of Japan looks on during her Women's Singles third round match against Marta Kostyuk of the Ukraine on Day Five of the 2020 US Open.Al Bello / Getty Images

Sept. 12, 2020, 10:57 AM PDT​
By Robyn Autry, chair of the Sociology Department at Wesleyan University​
Naomi Osaka’s hair doesn’t matter. At least not when it comes to her 120 mph serve, her daunting forehand or her powerful baseline play. But it does matter in terms of how she shows up in the tennis world and how she’s emerged as one of the most prominent athletes supporting the Black Lives Matter protests.
On Saturday, Osaka will play in the U.S. Open women's finals against Victoria Azarenka, who earned her bid by defeating Serena Williams. Both women will be looking to capture a third Grand Slam title.​
Osaka has grabbed headlines this tournament by wearing masks emblazoned with the names of victims of racial violence.​
Alongside her outstanding athleticism, though, Osaka has grabbed headlines this tournament by wearing masks emblazoned with the names of victims of racial violence: Philando Castile, Trayvon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Elijah McClain. Black masks, white lettering. Her one-person protest feels even more powerful as she enters and exits the nearly empty stadium every match.​
The masks draw our eyes up, but this is nothing new when it comes to Osaka. With her thick hair often pulled into a high ponytail and up through a visor, Osaka is accustomed to making a statement. It’s the sort of statement that Black bodies always make, whether intended or not, in predominately white spaces. As Claudia Rankine wrote about Serena Williams in “Citizen: An American Lyric” — referencing Zora Neale Hurston — Black players appear against the sharp white backdrop of the tennis world.​
2020 US Open - Day 5
Naomi Osaka of Japan wears a protective face mask with the name Ahmaud Arbery stenciled on it on Day Five of the 2020 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Sept. 4, 2020 in Queens, N.Y.Al Bello / Getty Images

I'm sure there are people who are unaware that this bias against black hair styles is a "thing". I mentioned it once to some German friends while visiting Germany several decades ago, although I didn't present it as a bias but that wearing my hair straight instead of in natural styles seems to make the white people I worked with more "comfortable".

Naomi Osaka’s hair doesn’t impact her 120 mph serve or powerful baseline play. But it does impact how she is perceived in the bright, white tennis world.

2020 US Open - Day 5
Naomi Osaka of Japan looks on during her Women's Singles third round match against Marta Kostyuk of the Ukraine on Day Five of the 2020 US Open.Al Bello / Getty Images

Naomi Osaka’s hair doesn’t matter. At least not when it comes to her 120 mph serve, her daunting forehand or her powerful baseline play. But it does matter in terms of how she shows up in the tennis world and how she’s emerged as one of the most prominent athletes supporting the Black Lives Matter protests.
On Saturday, Osaka will play in the U.S. Open women's finals against Victoria Azarenka, who earned her bid by defeating Serena Williams. Both women will be looking to capture a third Grand Slam title.​
Osaka has grabbed headlines this tournament by wearing masks emblazoned with the names of victims of racial violence.​
Alongside her outstanding athleticism, though, Osaka has grabbed headlines this tournament by wearing masks emblazoned with the names of victims of racial violence: Philando Castile, Trayvon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Elijah McClain. Black masks, white lettering. Her one-person protest feels even more powerful as she enters and exits the nearly empty stadium every match.​
The masks draw our eyes up, but this is nothing new when it comes to Osaka. With her thick hair often pulled into a high ponytail and up through a visor, Osaka is accustomed to making a statement. It’s the sort of statement that Black bodies always make, whether intended or not, in predominately white spaces. As Claudia Rankine wrote about Serena Williams in “Citizen: An American Lyric” — referencing Zora Neale Hurston — Black players appear against the sharp white backdrop of the tennis world.​
2020 US Open - Day 5
Naomi Osaka of Japan wears a protective face mask with the name Ahmaud Arbery stenciled on it on Day Five of the 2020 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Sept. 4, 2020 in Queens, N.Y.Al Bello / Getty Images
I have no idea what you are yammering about because I always look at the boobs of a woman when giving her the eye...

I'l bet you are really really smart, aren't you?

"Bias against "black hair styles" is a thing most are unaware of.
That's probably true since no one cares about her hair.
Her support for terrorist BLM does makes me take notice in a negative way.
Yeah I'm sure she's crying into her pillow as we speak at the thought of you thinking of her in a negative way.

Is there any form of protest white racists find acceptable or can support?

I'm afraid to even answer this but the most truthful answer is I guess that depends on who you ask. My family and friends think I'm smart while there are other individuals who consider me nothing more than an affirmative action admittance/hire.

"Bias against "black hair styles" is a thing most are unaware of.
That's probably true since no one cares about her hair.
Her support for terrorist BLM does makes me take notice in a negative way.
She does not support terrorism and you whites here need to quit lying about what you are unaware of when it comes to race. We have whites here talking shit about black peoples names so you do talk about our hair.

I'm afraid to even answer this but the most truthful answer is I guess that depends on who you ask. My family and friends think I'm smart while there are other individuals who consider me nothing more than an affirmative action admittance/hire.
You are brilliant. People who have been getting AA for the past 400 years have nothing to say about your intelligence.

Black players appear against the sharp white backdrop of the tennis world.
So, white people are to blame for the lack of black tennis players

White players appear against the sharp black backdrop of the basketball world...and?
IT IS WHAT IT IS

WHY IS THE LACK OF BLACK INTEREST IN TENNIS THE FAULT OF WHITES
WHAT ABOUT SWIMMING....POLO...SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING....HOCKEY...SKIING
SURFING...ICE SKATING...FIGURE SKATING

I'M SO FUCKING SICK OF THIS NONSENSE

AND THIS SHIT ABOUT THEIR HAIR...THE MAJORITY WEAR WIGS, WEAVES AND EXTENSIONS
ARE WHITES TO BLAME FOR THEIR NAPPY HAIR TOO?
IS IT MY FAULT THEY PERFER FAKE 'WHITE' HAIR WITH A BLACK TWIST

2020 US Open - Day 5

2020 US Open - Day 5
Wot

God damn white people really do need to die en masse

Oy lol

yC023UIO.jpeg

White players appear against the sharp black backdrop of the basketball world...and?
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Why are you so bent out of shape? Your reaction is way out of proportion to anything said in the article, the topic of which is NOT "so, white people are to blame for the lack of black tennis players" as you seem to believe and more in line with how someone would react to being personally accused of something

The way black people wear their hair impacts the lives of white people, not in the least therefore this obsession and offense is stupid. And if it's so objectionable why did so many white women go out and get their hair cornrowed after Bo Derick starred in the movie '10' wearing her blond hair in cornrows? They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so what gives?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
..like I said, the blacks eat/shit/think/dream/etc RACE so much that it warps their minds
EVERYTHING is about race

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Why are you so bent out of shape? Your reaction is way out of proportion to anything said in the article, the topic of which is NOT "so, white people are to blame for the lack of black tennis players" as you seem to believe and more in line with how someone would react to being personally accused of something

The way black people wear their hair impacts the lives of white people, not in the least therefore this obsession and offense is stupid. And if it's so objectionable why did so many white women go out and get their hair cornrowed after Bo Derick starred in the movie '10' wearing her blond hair in cornrows? They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so what gives?
Those braids look better on some people and not so good on others.

Forum List

Back