U.S. Open women's final features Naomi Osaka's masks, Black hair and a bold cultural statement

I watched some of the match. It never crossed my mind once that she had "Black Hair". It does puzzle me why many famous Black women like Mary J Blidge have a 'do' that looks like this.

View attachment 387913
What don't you like about it?
I said it puzzles me why a Black woman would do her hair like a White woman. Just the same way it would puzzle me if Taylor Swift put on an Afro wig.

You want segregated hair?

I watched some of the match. It never crossed my mind once that she had "Black Hair". It does puzzle me why many famous Black women like Mary J Blidge have a 'do' that looks like this.

View attachment 387913
I said it puzzles me why a Black woman would do her hair like a White woman. Just the same way it would puzzle me if Taylor Swift put on an Afro wig.

The OP made the issue about "Black Hair". If "Black Hair" is such a big deal why do so many Black women reject their "Black Hair" for White women's hair? It isn't what I want or don't want.

White players appear against the sharp black backdrop of the basketball world...and?
IT IS WHAT IT IS
Basketball is a white and non black sport in the main. It's just that AA's are the best at it

So yeah you’ll find that 75% of African Americans in the NBA but you won’t find many West Africans or Carribbeans, who are certainly “blacker” and according to the theory, athleticism and blackness somehow run together.

Well in that case you'd expect West Africans to dominate the NBA and African teams to dominate international basketball competitions.

That don't. Why ?

As you can see in the world rankings, there is not a majority black nation that makes the top 30

cH8KhK91d0uLzvBPQE1_Pg.png

I suppose you could say Brazil as that has massive blk population but is this really a blk team ?

WHY IS THE LACK OF BLACK INTEREST IN TENNIS THE FAULT OF WHITES
WHAT ABOUT SWIMMING....POLO...SYNCHRONIZED SWIMMING....HOCKEY...SKIING
SURFING...ICE SKATING...FIGURE SKATING
Well actually. This is Simone Manuel.

3735CE3300000578-3739599-image-a-28_1471150701900.jpg

She is the fastest swimmer in the world.

She's the current double world and Olympic champion in the 100m freestyle

As to your other sports..... look

Most black athletes who grew up in poverty thrive in sports that feature three things
  1. Modest equipment investment
  2. high social/cultural approval
  3. Fame and wealth in professional ranks.
That's why young urban black athletes who are strong in sports keep gravitatating to the same five: basketball, football, baseball, track & field and increasingly tennis.

The fundamentals of these sports can be learned at a very young age

Thousands of hours can be logged playing and practicing with your peers in the streets, and the rewards for top talent can be scouted and developed from middle school on. You just don't get the same community support or interest if you're black and happen to be good at hockey. polo, sync swimming, surfing and ice skating.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: IM2
Black players appear against the sharp white backdrop of the tennis world.
So, white people are to blame for the lack of black tennis players

White players appear against the sharp black backdrop of the basketball world...and?
IT IS WHAT IT IS

I'M SO FUCKING SICK OF THIS NONSENSE

AND THIS SHIT ABOUT THEIR HAIR...THE MAJORITY WEAR WIGS, WEAVES AND EXTENSIONS
ARE WHITES TO BLAME FOR THEIR NAPPY HAIR TOO?
IS IT MY FAULT THEY PERFER FAKE 'WHITE' HAIR WITH A BLACK TWIST
Why are you so bent out of shape? Your reaction is way out of proportion to anything said in the article, the topic of which is NOT "so, white people are to blame for the lack of black tennis players" as you seem to believe and more in line with how someone would react to being personally accused of something

The way black people wear their hair impacts the lives of white people, not in the least therefore this obsession and offense is stupid. And if it's so objectionable why did so many white women go out and get their hair cornrowed after Bo Derick starred in the movie '10' wearing her blond hair in cornrows? They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so what gives?
Your reaction to my post is way out of proportion

I know what the fucking topic is...hair, fucking hair
With all the shit going on white people don't give a fuck about her damn hair
Guess what...the 'white tennis world' would look down on me too...and I'm white

Talking about white people obsessing over blacks hair
while obsessing over what whites think is fucking comical

Seeing blacks out in the store with slippers on their feet,
a shower cap on their head,
and a pacifier or their thumb in their mouth ...
tells me something about THEM, NOT BLACKS IN GENERAL

Black players appear against the sharp white backdrop of the tennis world.
So, white people are to blame for the lack of black tennis players

IT IS WHAT IT IS

I'M SO FUCKING SICK OF THIS NONSENSE

AND THIS SHIT ABOUT THEIR HAIR...THE MAJORITY WEAR WIGS, WEAVES AND EXTENSIONS
ARE WHITES TO BLAME FOR THEIR NAPPY HAIR TOO?
IS IT MY FAULT THEY PERFER FAKE 'WHITE' HAIR WITH A BLACK TWIST
Why are you so bent out of shape? Your reaction is way out of proportion to anything said in the article, the topic of which is NOT "so, white people are to blame for the lack of black tennis players" as you seem to believe and more in line with how someone would react to being personally accused of something

The way black people wear their hair impacts the lives of white people, not in the least therefore this obsession and offense is stupid. And if it's so objectionable why did so many white women go out and get their hair cornrowed after Bo Derick starred in the movie '10' wearing her blond hair in cornrows? They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so what gives?
Your reaction to my post is way out of proportion

I know what the fucking topic is...hair, fucking hair
With all the shit going on white people don't give a fuck about her damn hair
Guess what...the 'white tennis world' would look down on me too...and I'm white

Talking about white people obsessing over blacks hair
while obsessing over what whites think is fucking comical

Seeing blacks out in the store with slippers on their feet,
a shower cap on their head,
and a pacifier or their thumb in their mouth ...
tells me something about THEM, NOT BLACKS IN GENERAL
From where I'm sitting you're the one having a friggin meltdown. What's that expression? "I believe the lady doth protest too much" i.e. "With all the shit going on white people don't give a fuck about her damn hair". And since when are you the authority on all white people?

If the mere sight of other people engaging in specific non-criminal behavior infuriates you to the point that you feel a need to declare to the internet in all caps no less which is the equivalent of shouting "I'M SO FUCKING SICK OF THIS NONSENSE", you're the one whose response is all out of proportion to the subject matter at hand.

That's both my personal and professional opinion.

"Bias against "black hair styles" is a thing most are unaware of.
That's probably true since no one cares about her hair.
Her support for terrorist BLM does makes me take notice in a negative way.
Yeah I'm sure she's crying into her pillow as we speak at the thought of you thinking of her in a negative way.

Is there any form of protest white racists find acceptable or can support?
I'm fine with her not caring about my opinion since I don't know who she is either. But if she's putting herself out there in favor of domestic terrorists then she's fair game. Screw her and her "black hair style."

I'm sure there are people who are unaware that this bias against black hair styles is a "thing". I mentioned it once to some German friends while visiting Germany several decades ago, although I didn't present it as a bias but that wearing my hair straight instead of in natural styles seems to make the white people I worked with more "comfortable".

Naomi Osaka’s hair doesn’t impact her 120 mph serve or powerful baseline play. But it does impact how she is perceived in the bright, white tennis world.

2020 US Open - Day 5
Naomi Osaka of Japan looks on during her Women's Singles third round match against Marta Kostyuk of the Ukraine on Day Five of the 2020 US Open.Al Bello / Getty Images

Sept. 12, 2020, 10:57 AM PDT​
By Robyn Autry, chair of the Sociology Department at Wesleyan University​
Naomi Osaka’s hair doesn’t matter. At least not when it comes to her 120 mph serve, her daunting forehand or her powerful baseline play. But it does matter in terms of how she shows up in the tennis world and how she’s emerged as one of the most prominent athletes supporting the Black Lives Matter protests.
On Saturday, Osaka will play in the U.S. Open women's finals against Victoria Azarenka, who earned her bid by defeating Serena Williams. Both women will be looking to capture a third Grand Slam title.​
Osaka has grabbed headlines this tournament by wearing masks emblazoned with the names of victims of racial violence.​
Alongside her outstanding athleticism, though, Osaka has grabbed headlines this tournament by wearing masks emblazoned with the names of victims of racial violence: Philando Castile, Trayvon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Elijah McClain. Black masks, white lettering. Her one-person protest feels even more powerful as she enters and exits the nearly empty stadium every match.​
The masks draw our eyes up, but this is nothing new when it comes to Osaka. With her thick hair often pulled into a high ponytail and up through a visor, Osaka is accustomed to making a statement. It’s the sort of statement that Black bodies always make, whether intended or not, in predominately white spaces. As Claudia Rankine wrote about Serena Williams in “Citizen: An American Lyric” — referencing Zora Neale Hurston — Black players appear against the sharp white backdrop of the tennis world.​
2020 US Open - Day 5
Naomi Osaka of Japan wears a protective face mask with the name Ahmaud Arbery stenciled on it on Day Five of the 2020 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Sept. 4, 2020 in Queens, N.Y.Al Bello / Getty Images
Did someone comment on her hair or something? How has her hair been an issue? Give specific examples, not some shit you pull from the ether. If youre saying people have given her a hard time, show us the evidence.

Yeah I'm sure she's crying into her pillow as we speak at the thought of you thinking of her in a negative way.

Im sure talksalot is crying in his pillow as we speak at the thought of you thinking about him in a negative way.

Is there any form of protest black racists find acceptable or can support?

View attachment 387913
He didnt say he didnt like it, he said he was puzzled as to why so many black women choosing to look like white women. Who doesnt like straight blonde hair? Personally, I think all black women should straighten and dye their hair. It looks a lot better that way.

Do you see how nice your "Queen" looks when she is a white woman? She LOVES it!

bey2-300x300.jpg

bey1.jpg

Last edited:

victims of racial violence? I can put lots more names of "victims of racial violence" on my covid masks. During my working year, I worked in a hospital which
was on the edge of part of my city which is now
one of the epicenters of BLM. The catchment area for that hospital included that area so that when a victim of "acute lead poisoning" { to the brain } happened,
it most often came to my attention because I know how to determine brain death. (harvard criteria)
Lots and lots and lots and not one done by a cop

View attachment 387913
He didnt say he didnt like it, he said he was puzzled as to why so many black women choosing to look like white women. Who doesnt like straight blonde hair? Personally, I think all black women should straighten and dye their hair. It looks a lot better that way.

Do you see how nice your "Queen" looks when she is a white woman? She LOVES it!

bey2-300x300.jpg

bey1.jpg

for a really psychotic discussion on this issue--read the book by Eldridge Cleaver "Soul on Ice"

I'm sure there are people who are unaware that this bias against black hair styles is a "thing". I mentioned it once to some German friends while visiting Germany several decades ago, although I didn't present it as a bias but that wearing my hair straight instead of in natural styles seems to make the white people I worked with more "comfortable".

Naomi Osaka’s hair doesn’t impact her 120 mph serve or powerful baseline play. But it does impact how she is perceived in the bright, white tennis world.

2020 US Open - Day 5
Naomi Osaka of Japan looks on during her Women's Singles third round match against Marta Kostyuk of the Ukraine on Day Five of the 2020 US Open.Al Bello / Getty Images

Naomi Osaka’s hair doesn’t matter. At least not when it comes to her 120 mph serve, her daunting forehand or her powerful baseline play. But it does matter in terms of how she shows up in the tennis world and how she’s emerged as one of the most prominent athletes supporting the Black Lives Matter protests.
On Saturday, Osaka will play in the U.S. Open women's finals against Victoria Azarenka, who earned her bid by defeating Serena Williams. Both women will be looking to capture a third Grand Slam title.​
Osaka has grabbed headlines this tournament by wearing masks emblazoned with the names of victims of racial violence.​
Alongside her outstanding athleticism, though, Osaka has grabbed headlines this tournament by wearing masks emblazoned with the names of victims of racial violence: Philando Castile, Trayvon Martin, Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and Elijah McClain. Black masks, white lettering. Her one-person protest feels even more powerful as she enters and exits the nearly empty stadium every match.​
The masks draw our eyes up, but this is nothing new when it comes to Osaka. With her thick hair often pulled into a high ponytail and up through a visor, Osaka is accustomed to making a statement. It’s the sort of statement that Black bodies always make, whether intended or not, in predominately white spaces. As Claudia Rankine wrote about Serena Williams in “Citizen: An American Lyric” — referencing Zora Neale Hurston — Black players appear against the sharp white backdrop of the tennis world.​
2020 US Open - Day 5
Naomi Osaka of Japan wears a protective face mask with the name Ahmaud Arbery stenciled on it on Day Five of the 2020 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on Sept. 4, 2020 in Queens, N.Y.Al Bello / Getty Images
It's hard to imagine anything more meaningless than this woman's hair. Why would anyone give a rat's ass?

View attachment 387913

Hair segregation is an exclusively black phenomenon. Well, they wear white hair styles with no issue, but they get mad when white people wear black hair styles. There are tons of cultural appropriation videos, but not a single one involves a black person with blonde hair. Its always some poor white kid with dreads getting shit on for having dreads, or a white celebrity with a wacky hairdo. Poor Adele.

adele-carnival.jpg

2020 US Open - Day 5

2020 US Open - Day 5
It's hard to imagine anything more meaningless than this woman's hair. Why would anyone give a rat's ass?

I will help you-----believe it or not----black people are
OBSESSED with their hair. Whilst you or I might not
waste a single neuronal synapse on the issue, try to
understand that a people obsessed with their hair are
likely to assume that EVERYONE else shares that
obsession

View attachment 387913

Hair segregation is an exclusively black phenomenon. Well, they wear white hair styles with no issue, but they get mad when white people wear black hair styles. There are tons of cultural appropriation videos, but not a single one involves a black person with blonde hair. Its always some poor white kid with dreads getting shit on for having dreads, or a white celebrity with a wacky hairdo. Poor Adele.

adele-carnival.jpg

so true-----and IT AIN'T JUST HAIR. Remember when the DASHIKI became a thing? -----it was in the 1960s. It is a nice loose colorful shirt that can be either male or female-----the only reason I did not
get one is because I did not want to experience ANGER from black people

Forum List

Back