Trump’s COVID-19 ‘Miracle’ Treatment Relied On Cells Linked To Aborted Fetus

How can drugs similar to Regeneron continue to be developed, if the drug companies are barred from using or obtaining fetal cells? There are many promising theraputics being developed using fetal cells, including treatments for Parkinsons

So which is it? Are they barred or are they being developed?

The use of fetal stem cells in biomedical research is only barred in the USA. It's legal everywhere else in the world.

The USA is the only first world country with any sort of significant anti-abortion movement. The rest of the world treats abortion as a medical issue, not a moral one. YOU'RE the outlier nation in the first world on many, many scores.

Then you've missed the point utterly. Donald Trump signed an EO banning fetal cell research, and made a HUGE deal out of doing so.
Well hot damn... Why isn't that a main part of the platform to go after Trump for?

The evangelical right appauded this as a great step forward in protecting the unborn. Fetal cell research was a massive win for the evangelicals who are vehemently anti-abortion, and helped cement that leg of his base.
I obviously disagree with the anti-abortionists. I'm pro-choice. Which is odd because chances are I disagree with you too, because I'm pro-choice with exceptions. Although I'm completely ok with aborting a fetus, and making use of it however we can so it doesn't go to waste so to speak.

Now Trump has had his life saved by a drug which used fetal cell tissue in its development, albeit tissue that was harvested long before Trump signed the ban, and declaring it a miracle cure, but nevertheless. He's preventing any future miracles by his ban. He can use the fetal cell research to save his own life, but future generations cannot. Because he needs those votes.
Ah... I never had a problem with the fetal cell research in the first place. I'm not a hypocrite, so I don't have a problem with it now either. The knowledge is already gained, so I don't see why everybody couldn't make some good out of it. If the knowledge is already gained from fetal research, I don't see how future generations are effected given the drug is already made and on the market... Is it not?

How can drugs similar to Regeneron continue to be developed, if the drug companies are barred from using or obtaining fetal cells? There are many promising theraputics being developed using fetal cells, including treatments for Parkinsons

The use of fetal stem cells in biomedical research is only barred in the USA. It's legal everywhere else in the world.

The USA is the only first world country with any sort of significant anti-abortion movement. The rest of the world treats abortion as a medical issue, not a moral one. YOU'RE the outlier nation in the first world on many, many scores.

The ban on fetal stem cells will be just like the international contraception ban because of abortion. It was started by reagan. It was named the Mexico City ban because that ban caused the following to happen, babies were found abandoned to die in the garbage dump in Mexico City and other cities around then world.

When a democratic president comes into office he lifts the international ban on contraceptives. When a republican president gets into office, they reimpose it.

When Obama became president, he lifted the bush boy's ban on fetal stem cell research. When trump became president he reimposed the ban. The next democratic president will removed the ban. We will never be able to have consistent medical research using fetal stem cells because of the republicans.

So America will not be able to scientifically and medically advance the same way the rest of the first world can.

The COVID-19 treatment President Donald Trump has referred to as a miracle was developed using cells derived from an aborted fetus — a process he has severely curtailed in government-funded medical research to woo the evangelical vote.

Regeneron’s link to fetal tissue was first reported in the MIT Technology Review. To create the therapeutic miracles Trump extols, apparently “God employs cell lines derived from human fetal tissue,” the publication noted.

Read the article for yourself. What do you think?
"What do you think?"

Irony. Hypocrisy. Narcissistic sociopath.
Conservatives are infamous for their hypocrisy.
~~~~~~
Pot calling the kettle black.....

The COVID-19 treatment President Donald Trump has referred to as a miracle was developed using cells derived from an aborted fetus — a process he has severely curtailed in government-funded medical research to woo the evangelical vote.

Regeneron’s link to fetal tissue was first reported in the MIT Technology Review. To create the therapeutic miracles Trump extols, apparently “God employs cell lines derived from human fetal tissue,” the publication noted.

The New York Times is the original source of the OP:

Trump’s Covid Treatments Were Tested in Cells Derived From Fetal Tissue

So what?

At this time humanity must do whatever it take to find a vaccine or cocktail that will help prevent more deaths.

Before you give me this spill about it is aborted fetuses and the GOP is against abortion let me be very serious and state I have no issue with first trimester abortions!

The ban on fetal stem cells will be just like the international contraception ban because of abortion. It was started by reagan. It was named the Mexico City ban because that ban caused the following to happen, babies were found abandoned to die in the garbage dump in Mexico City and other cities around then world.

When a democratic president comes into office he lifts the international ban on contraceptives. When a republican president gets into office, they reimpose it.

When Obama became president, he lifted the bush boy's ban on fetal stem cell research. When trump became president he reimposed the ban. The next democratic president will removed the ban. We will never be able to have consistent medical research using fetal stem cells because of the republicans.

So America will not be able to scientifically and medically advance the same way the rest of the first world can.

~~~~~~
Seems that Europe especially the Netherlands where Regeneron Pharmaceuticals is based have no problems. They used their studies on fetal T-cells from the 1970's to produve the mono-clonal and poly clonal antibodies. So the implications are mute.

Last edited:

Fake News. No Fetal cells in Trump's treatment.

Which went pretty well.

1602372334906.png

Which went pretty well.

I disagree! Apparently one of us has a reading comprehension problem.

Which went pretty well.

I disagree! Apparently one of us has a reading comprehension problem.
Believe as you like, but the fact remains that Trump wasn't treated with fetal stem cells.

Fact check: Trump's antibody therapy not made from fetal stem ...
www.usatoday.com › news › factcheck › 2020/10/08

Claim: The Regeneron antibody cocktail President Donald Trump received is made from fetal stem cells
Claimed by: Social media user
Fact check by USA Today: False

Forum List

Back