Trump said we pay for 90% of what NATO gets. Do you believe him?

FACT CHECK: Trump's Claims On NATO Spending

No, US does not pay for 70 or 90 percent of NATO

Obama applauds halt to decline in NATO spending

How NATO is funded and who pays what

We all saw Trump say the US pays 90% of what goes to NATO during this trip to Europe. In fact he said it more than once.

So what does the US actually pay?

22%

Yep, 22%, not 90%.

And it was back in 2014 that Obama demanded NATO paid more. And after the Russian invasion of the Ukraine and the annexation of Crimea, they got on the ball. They scheduled the increases into their economy. and we saw the amount they pay increasing a couple of years ago. Before Trump took office.

So the upcoming increases were negotiated by Obama, not Trump.

It's all right there. Easy to look up. VERY recent history. Believe what you want, but those are the facts.

Remind us if NATO could take on the Minnesota national gaurd?

I doubt it.

If NATO pays so much where are their aircraft carriers? Subs???

I'm embarrassed to have to explain this. It's so obvious and and so simple, but I will anyway. I know it won't "stick", but I'll give it a go anyway.

NatoMap2010countries.gif

Do you see the light blue. That's Canada, the US and the rest of the NATO countries. Who threatens NATO? The darker blue off to the right. That's Russia. Sorry for being sarcastic, but where is the ocean between NATO and Russia? See what I mean?

Remember, the US has interests all over the entire world.

NATO doesn't. NATO is a collection of small countries pledged to protect each other. The bulk of US funds spent on protection is over the rest of the world and the reason is because of NATO.

Try to figure out why.

They have the same interest you idiot, they need oil and products, who do you think controls the world's shipping lanes, us or them?

It's not the 1980's anymore. The Cold War's been over for 25 years. Russia is no longer the geopolitical threat it once was years ago. We need to reevaluate how we spend for defense.

Russia is a danger, do not kid yourselves.

However, we can easily contain Russia, protect NATO, and guard ourselves for 60 or 70 cents on the dollar now that we spend on our DOD.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F07%2F20180710_NATO_Expenditure-3.jpg

Plus the investment in our own intel and military assets provide addt'l security around the world in addition to our NATO spending.
Boy are we suckers giving in to fear mongering and false threats

Guess what those countries get with the revenue they save?
Modern infrastructure, free and low cost secondary education, universal healthcare

Funny how the LibProg used the 22% "direct operational costs" figure for sustaining NATO, and not the overwhelming preponderance of US contribution to operattional activities.

FACT CHECK: Trump's Claims On NATO Spending

No, US does not pay for 70 or 90 percent of NATO

Obama applauds halt to decline in NATO spending

How NATO is funded and who pays what

We all saw Trump say the US pays 90% of what goes to NATO during this trip to Europe. In fact he said it more than once.

So what does the US actually pay?

22%

Yep, 22%, not 90%.

And it was back in 2014 that Obama demanded NATO paid more. And after the Russian invasion of the Ukraine and the annexation of Crimea, they got on the ball. They scheduled the increases into their economy. and we saw the amount they pay increasing a couple of years ago. Before Trump took office.

So the upcoming increases were negotiated by Obama, not Trump.

It's all right there. Easy to look up. VERY recent history. Believe what you want, but those are the facts.
---------------------------------------- i heard a story on radio but somewhere in the world with current war being fought by USA and 'nato' allies . The allies showed up but had to be outfitted with essential supplies like ammunition at USA Cost . Just a story and i can't verify but 'german' military is said to be falling apart . And 'canada' has never had much of a military and the 'brits' are going all 'wussy' DeanRD .

The Canadian military's reputation is excellent.

We (the 4/9th Infantry Charlie Airborne Company) trained with the airborne command of Princess Pat's Light Infantry in Alaska at Fort Wainwright, Alaska.

They were awesome.

Thread fail. According to polifarce US pays 72%.

And Trump said 70-90% depending on the way you calculate. He was clearly talking about the overall picture... I am sure you would have gotten it had you watched the speech in context.

Basically those nations are relying on USA and we are getting nothing for it. Trump is correct as usual. It would be less comical if they weren't at the same time funding their own invasion.
If Obama told the op we paid a 100% he would believe him, and support it.

We pay for Nato but what do we get? Involvement in wars we don´t want. And now we should pay even more?

What wars are those?

The only time the NATO clause has ever been used was by the United States after 9-11.

All the members of NATO stood by us and went to war with us in Afghanistan. We're still in Afghanistan and so is NATO.

Who is saying we should pay more?

We pay for Nato but what do we get? Involvement in wars we don´t want. And now we should pay even more?

What wars are those?

The only time the NATO clause has ever been used was by the United States after 9-11.

All the members of NATO stood by us and went to war with us in Afghanistan. We're still in Afghanistan and so is NATO.

Who is saying we should pay more?
--------------------------------------- who was it that invoked the 'nato' clause Article 5 , did the USA ask 'nato' to come to USA aid with that 'nato clause' Dana ??

Last edited:
We have the bases and all of the equipment and the people. In their countries. At our expense. We are easily covering 70% of NATO’s security costs.

Yes, and we need to close them out and bring our soldiers back to our own borders.

The military is NOT a border patrol! Come on man! How many times does this have to be explained?

The military is NOT an empire building apparatus either nor does it exist to fight everyone else's wars. World War II is over. The Cold War is over. Our military's job is to defend OUR nation, not everyone else's. In case you didn't notice we have a $22 trillion debt. We can't afford this largess anymore.

Nice goalpost move.

Back to my point please!

There was no goalpost move. That was my point from the very beginning. Yes, our military IS about patrolling our own borders and keeping our nation safe from invasion.

I'd prefer we stick with the 90%. If those European countries gave Trump lip service without attempt to fulfill their financial obligations then we should exit NATO and reduce our defense spending by 90% of NATO's total budget.

We have the bases and all of the equipment and the people. In their countries. At our expense. We are easily covering 70% of NATO’s security costs.

Yes, and we need to close them out and bring our soldiers back to our own borders.

The military is NOT a border patrol! Come on man! How many times does this have to be explained?

The military is NOT an empire building apparatus either nor does it exist to fight everyone else's wars. World War II is over. The Cold War is over. Our military's job is to defend OUR nation, not everyone else's. In case you didn't notice we have a $22 trillion debt. We can't afford this largess anymore.

Nice goalpost move.

Back to my point please!

There was no goalpost move. That was my point from the very beginning. Yes, our military IS about patrolling our own borders and keeping our nation safe from invasion.

No, that would be the Border Patrol and Coast Guard.

You also need to learn the definition of an empire.

Nice goalpost move.

Back to my point please!

No, that would be the Border Patrol and Coast Guard.

You also need to learn the definition of an empire.

Our military was created to defend our nation, not the entire world. That's what 20th century neo-cons turned it into and the American people no longer have an appetite for seeing our soldiers come home in coffins for other peoples' fights. Those days are coming to an and whether you like it or not.

Forum List

Back