To tout universal basic income, presidential candidate puts skin in the game

This would essentially create more small businesses, more jobs, and less welfare
if given the time allowed for the experiment to prove itself, instead of letting in corporate-politicians to shut it down like in Finland and Canada.
55137fc84b94ee8ecbd7d989a9309548.jpg

There's no number of times you're going to mindlessly parrot, "This will create more businesses, more jobs, and less welfare" that will magically make it a) true, and b) proven.

Either explain HOW and provide evidence of it, or I for one will just start to consider every single repetition to translate to "I'm full of shit, and just want free money". I doubt I will be alone in doing so.

Andrew Yang, an entrepreneur and presidential candidate, wants to give every American adult $1,000, every single month.

To test a universal basic income program, Yang is giving two families, one in Iowa and one in New Hampshire, $1,000 a month out of his own pocket, according to CBS News. Yang is running as a Democrat and both states are early primary contests for the 2020 presidential nomination.

Presidential candidate paying $1,000 universal basic income

Here he is with Joe Rogan recently.

People will scoff out of hand at this, but this issue will be of greater and greater significance going forward.

Milton Friedman was way ahead of his time.

This would essentially create more small businesses, more jobs, and less welfare
if given the time allowed for the experiment to prove itself, instead of letting in corporate-politicians to shut it down like in Finland and Canada.

There's no number of times you're going to mindlessly parrot, "This will create more businesses, more jobs, and less welfare" that will magically make it a) true, and b) proven.

Either explain HOW and provide evidence of it, or I for one will just start to consider every single repetition to translate to "I'm full of shit, and just want free money". I doubt I will be alone in doing so.
Here you go:

Because most 'small businesses' are now owned by the multinational corporations. If you don't believe me, just try buying into a national or even semi-national restaurant chain. The average person can't without a substantial bank loan which most people won't qualify for without collateral.

And before anyone forgets, I want Rachael Ray in 2020.:26:

The person who could beat Trump in the 2020 election.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
"Where does this guy propose to get ALL of this money from ?"

So...it's the exact same nonsense that Trump said trickle-down economics would do when he brought in his tax cuts...stimulate the economy and thus raise revenues.

And it COMPLETELY FAILED as the deficits are skyrocketing (as I and most on Wall Street knew).

https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/files/reports-statements/mts/mts.pdf

It is staggeringly irresponsible to spend shit loads of money and then assume the economy will grow enough to pay for it. And it has NEVER worked out. NEVER.

So, what this guy is saying is he has NO IDEA WHATSOEVER how to pay for his plan.

So noted.

BTW - what is worse is his plan will NOT cover seniors. So that means Social Security will stay. So that means the hit to the budget is over $3 TRILLION. That is the same as the ENTIRE federal budget in 2008. With no proven way to pay even one dime of it.
That is ridiculous and potentially, highly dangerous for America's economy/fiscal situation/currency/inflation rate.

This is progressivism at it's worst....just spend like mad and pay no attention to how to actually pay for it.

Fortunately, there is NO WAY this will fly as no Rep or Indy (or moderate Dem) in their right minds would vote for this UNTIL this guy figures out an actual and PROVEN way to pay for it.

Because most 'small businesses' are now owned by the multinational corporations. If you don't believe me, just try buying into a national or even semi-national restaurant chain. The average person can't without a substantial bank loan which most people won't qualify for without collateral.

And before anyone forgets, I want Rachael Ray in 2020.:26:

The person who could beat Trump in the 2020 election.

giphy.gif

Would it surprise you at all to know that your "explanation" doesn't explain jack shit?

While it's informative to know what asinine bullshit you believe about small business ownership, it's irrelevant to the question. If you need to go find someone with a working knowledge of English and functioning brain cells to explain the question to you, I'll wait.

Andrew Yang, an entrepreneur and presidential candidate, wants to give every American adult $1,000, every single month.

To test a universal basic income program, Yang is giving two families, one in Iowa and one in New Hampshire, $1,000 a month out of his own pocket, according to CBS News. Yang is running as a Democrat and both states are early primary contests for the 2020 presidential nomination.

People will scoff out of hand at this, but this issue will be of greater and greater significance going forward.

Milton Friedman (one of my idols) was grossly misunderstood on this issue.

He only wanted it because it would reduce the size of government, would end welfare queenship, allows people more time to do charity work, and it allows the free market to dictate winners and losers by how people use their money (and they would need money to do so). He believed it was a great way to be much more efficient than the welfare bullshit. His main focus was limited/smaller government and free markets.

..just spend like mad and pay no attention to how to actually pay for it.
That's happpening as we speak.
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

I agree that the fiscal situation is pathetic right now.

But with this plan, the deficits will quadruple ($1 trillion to $4 trillion).

Progressives may be well-intentioned. But they will get NOWHERE until they learn how to pay for their programs.
On the website scroll down to personal debt.
Then look at GDP numbers, despite the $900 billion trade deficit....all this money would be spent back into the economy, whereas with tax cuts to the wealthy only, the money disappears in Swiss banks and the Cayman Islands.

Only capital need circulate under Capitalism. Solving for a poverty of capital can only improve our economy and positive multiplier by increasing market participation and letting the law of high numbers and plenty of practice do the "heavy lifting" for us.

..just spend like mad and pay no attention to how to actually pay for it.
That's happpening as we speak.
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

I agree that the fiscal situation is pathetic right now.

But with this plan, the deficits will quadruple ($1 trillion to $4 trillion).

Progressives may be well-intentioned. But they will get NOWHERE until they learn how to pay for their programs.
On the website scroll down to personal debt.
Then look at GDP numbers, despite the $900 billion trade deficit....all this money would be spent back into the economy, whereas with tax cuts to the wealthy only, the money disappears in Swiss banks and the Cayman Islands.

If you are talking about the universal income? It does not work like that. Only the poor will put every dime back into the economy. The middle class will put most of it and the rich almost none of it - they will just throw it on the pile.
Plus, the poorer people are, the higher percentage of their income they spend on 'sin' products - recreational drugs, prostitution, alcohol, gambling and cigarettes. Much of this money will not find it's way back into the economy. Also, the cheapest household products usually come from overseas manufacturing (just check where the cheapest Walmart/Amazon items are made). So more money still will not find it's way into the economy.
I doubt even 75% of the money handed out will go back into the economy.
And even if every dime did - the government only gets a small fraction of that in taxes (especially from the poor). So again, the fiscal deficits will explode.

A proven and direct way (at the government level) of balancing the gigantic spending for this must be found before it has the remotest hope of flying.
And there are only two ways - cut spending and/or increase taxes...MASSIVELY.

Only capital need circulate under Capitalism. Solving for a poverty of capital can only improve our economy and positive multiplier by increasing market participation and letting the law of high numbers and plenty of practice do the "heavy lifting" for us.
The underlying theme is that most of the capital gains in the last 40 years have spiralled to the top 10 % --primarily the top 1/10th ( as we hear Bernie repeating over and over correctly ) Now we see it happenining in real time with people like Jeff Bezos taking home $250 million a day, while many Amazon workers can barely afford their car payments or the rent each month.. All this accumilated wealth will stay in their families by and large, the Koch's, the Walton's, and the other 2000 + billionaires in the US alone.

That's why they want to do away with capital gains and more importantly the estate taxes. Not even counting the National debt, there's been a gradual ,exponentially-growing $20 trillion shift in wealth (give or take a few billion) from the bottom 80 % ( mainly the middle class-income level) to the top. Now the big banks have the country leveraged out under a huge mountain of inescapable debt ( they're beginnning to come after people 'behind on their bills',) and it's become very difficult to file bankruptcy even for medical bills. If your kid gets cancer and you don't have insurance, good luck, because you may lose your house. If you're $60,000 in college debt it will follow you like a wet blanket. Student debt in the US will soon be approaching $2 trillion.

Last edited:

Milton Friedman (one of my idols) was grossly misunderstood on this issue.

He only wanted it because it would reduce the size of government, would end welfare queenship, allows people more time to do charity work, and it allows the free market to dictate winners and losers by how people use their money (and they would need money to do so). He believed it was a great way to be much more efficient than the welfare bullshit. His main focus was limited/smaller government and free markets.

If you got to Yang's web site, he makes the exact same arguments.

To wit:
Current welfare and social program beneficiaries would be given a choice between their current benefits or $1,000 cash unconditionally – most would prefer cash with no restriction.

UBI reduces bureaucracy—with no-strings-attached coverage, determining who is eligible is far simpler and the cost of administering benefits is greatly reduced.

What is Universal Basic Income? - Andrew Yang for President

Forum List

Back