Tulsi: We Now Need Universal Income

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
Multiple lawmakers have proposed economic stimulus packages and universal basic income programs as the coronavirus begins to take a larger toll on the American economy.

On Friday, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii), a 2020 presidential candidate, introduced a resolution that would provide an income of $1,000 a month to every American “until COVID-19 no longer presents a public health emergency.”

In an effort to stop the spread of the virus, the U.S. has imposed travel bans on several countries hardest-hit by the pandemic, and dozens of large events and conferences have been canceled or postponed.

Lawmakers call for universal basic income amid coronavirus crisis

As Democrats use this unfortunate situation to promote their political agenda, and attempt to create more government dependents, Universal Income is now being thrown out there. $1,000 a month to every American? Does that include children? How would handing every American a thousand bucks a month help with COVID 19?

I'm sure most people cannot quit their job or stay home from work getting $1,000 a month, so what exactly is this money, handed out by the federal government now 23 trillion dollars in debt, supposed to do for the people? Who declares when this public health emergency has ended?

I've talked about UI before, but only in light of replacing all social programs, which in the long run would save the government money. But to pass out money like candy at Halloween is just a ridiculous idea. But as the Democrats believe, never let a good crisis go to waste.

I remember the good'ol days when Tyrone Shoez would 'stamp" me $100 worth of 1" thick porterhouses from IGA and I'd trade him $24 worth of Seagrams(2 half gallons) and a carton of Newpotez for them.......sigh. I used to love Fridays

If everyone is guaranteed the same income whether they work or not and whether they are a brain surgeon or a trash collector, why would anyone work?

I don't think it could replace an income unless you work at Walmart stocking shelves. But I always found it an interesting concept if we removed all social programs and replaced it with UI. It would solve so many problems in this country, and this coming from a conservative.

If everyone is guaranteed the same income whether they work or not and whether they are a brain surgeon or a trash collector, why would anyone work?

I don't think it could replace an income unless you work at Walmart stocking shelves. But I always found it an interesting concept if we removed all social programs and replaced it with UI. It would solve so many problems in this country, and this coming from a conservative.
The hungry would still be hungry and the drug dealers would be much richer.

We got school feeding programs because the parents were trading WIC and EBT for cash to buy drugs.

We got school feeding programs because the parents were trading WIC and EBT for cash to buy drugs.

I think in many ways UI as she proposed it would create more problems than solve. And it still begs the question of what it would solve?

Nobody is talking about the number of businesses that will disappear...….

If we keep isolating ourselves, those businesses will close anyway.
Think that was the point.....you cant go ghost town and expect everything will return to normal.

UI won't stop everybody from working enough to close businesses down. However if the media keeps promoting this like the end of the world, they will make people too fearful to go to work.

I think in many ways UI as she proposed it would create more problems than solve. And it still begs the question of what it would solve?
Nothing

The value of the dollar would decrease and the cost of good would go up.

Nothing

The value of the dollar would decrease and the cost of good would go up.

True, and these are the people that want to run our healthcare in this country.

As Democrats use this unfortunate situation to promote their political agenda

This is true of every crisis, attack, natural disaster, mass shooting, you name it. Here's what's funny, their stupid shit policies are so unpopular that's the only chance they have of passing them. :21:
Which is why Pelosi shoved in forced company paid sick leave in this so called emergency bill. Hopefully it is doa in the Senate.

Create a CLEAN BILL that targets the problem Pelosi, not one full of your leftist bullshit that affects EVERYONE.

This is true of every crisis, attack, natural disaster, mass shooting, you name it. Here's what's funny, their stupid shit policies are so unpopular that's the only chance they have of passing them. :21:
Which is why Pelosi shoved in forced company paid sick leave in this so called emergency bill. Hopefully it is doa in the Senate.

Create a CLEAN BILL that targets the problem Pelosi, not one full of your leftist bullshit.

Pelosi makes the poor and middle class wait and suffer while she holds up relief legislation with unrelated PORK. How many will die due to Pelosi playing games?

Create a CLEAN BILL that targets the problem Pelosi, not one full of your leftist bullshit.

Pelosi makes the poor and middle class wait and suffer while she holds up relief legislation with unrelated PORK.

Which is why presidents need the line item veto back.

Forum List

Back