Tilting Our Politics Back Toward Democracy

berg80

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2017
The present debate about the independent state legislature theory—a disingenuous interpretation of constitutional clauses that would grant state legislatures tremendous power to defy state courts and even ignore the states’ popular votes in presidential elections—is in large part a question of how much power the demos should have in our democracy. Recent years have seen no shortage of similar democracy-limiting ideas, rulings, laws, and proposals, such as the Supreme Court’s 2013 Shelby County decision, which opened the door to unnecessarily restrictive voting laws, and 2019 Rucho decision, which made partisan gerrymandering nonjusticiable.

Consider also the longstanding trope that “the United States is a republic, not a democracy”—a truism that conservative politicians and writers, perhaps forgetting that it was once the slogan of the ultra-right John Birch Society and associated with opposition to civil rights, have for decades routinely deployed as if it were a decisive rebuttal to anyone who argues that perhaps a bit more power in our political system should be put in the hands of the people.

Based on this understanding, elected officials prop up the parts of our system of government that make it easier for them to obtain and hold onto power while also making it difficult for the people to hold them culpable for unprincipled or incongruous actions. Without sufficient accountability, legislative bodies can disregard the expressed democratic will whenever they deem the people unfit to decide for themselves.

This is a stunningly prescient concern for the damage entities like Faux can do to the public square.

I thought this was a fascinating piece. It's now up for discussion, which, I hope we can keep out of the gutter.

The present debate about the independent state legislature theory—a disingenuous interpretation of constitutional clauses that would grant state legislatures tremendous power to defy state courts and even ignore the states’ popular votes in presidential elections—is in large part a question of how much power the demos should have in our democracy. Recent years have seen no shortage of similar democracy-limiting ideas, rulings, laws, and proposals, such as the Supreme Court’s 2013 Shelby County decision, which opened the door to unnecessarily restrictive voting laws, and 2019 Rucho decision, which made partisan gerrymandering nonjusticiable.

Consider also the longstanding trope that “the United States is a republic, not a democracy”—a truism that conservative politicians and writers, perhaps forgetting that it was once the slogan of the ultra-right John Birch Society and associated with opposition to civil rights, have for decades routinely deployed as if it were a decisive rebuttal to anyone who argues that perhaps a bit more power in our political system should be put in the hands of the people.

Based on this understanding, elected officials prop up the parts of our system of government that make it easier for them to obtain and hold onto power while also making it difficult for the people to hold them culpable for unprincipled or incongruous actions. Without sufficient accountability, legislative bodies can disregard the expressed democratic will whenever they deem the people unfit to decide for themselves.

This is a stunningly prescient concern for the damage entities like Faux can do to the public square.

I thought this was a fascinating piece. It's now up for discussion, which, I hope we can keep out of the gutter.
even ignore the states’ popular votes in presidential elections
When did the popular vote overrule the Electoral vote in deciding the presidency?

A Republic that is based on low taxation. That was the intent of the founding fathers. Once the low taxation wall was breached, the route to Democracy and then totalitarianism was cleared. Totalitarianism will be the Liberal World Order. With the leaders of what was the United States as surrogates for the despot global leadership. Many in D.C. are that now. Including Joe Biden.

The unctuous and condescending lack of self-awareness here is fucking epic.

The unctuous and condescending lack of self-awareness here is fucking epic.
Actually, that paragraph almost perfectly describes previous failed attempts (blocked by Repubs) to pass wildly popular legislation on enhanced gun control. Though I disagree with the notion holding "them culpable for unprincipled or incongruous actions" is materially more difficult than it was in the past. However, the failure to do so does embolden them. Ultimately, that is our collective failure.

Actually, that paragraph almost perfectly describes previous failed attempts (blocked by Repubs) to pass wildly popular legislation on enhanced gun control. Though I disagree with the notion holding "them culpable for unprincipled or incongruous actions" is materially more difficult than it was in the past. However, the failure to do so does embolden them. Ultimately, that is our collective failure.
Did I mention something about an epic lack of self-awareness? :auiqs.jpg:

The term "wildly popular" runs in progressive/communist circles. No real R, close to extinction, will have anything to do with passing laws that infringe upon the 2a.

A Republic that is based on low taxation. That was the intent of the founding fathers.

Where did they write this? I can't find this quote in any of my copies of the Federalist Papers. My recollection is that Alexander Hamilton believed the national government needed the power to raise and collect taxes.

A republic with lots of bananas? It can't be that bad, then. I like bananas - bunches.

That's where all the best-dressed shoppers buy their clothes, you know.

Right next door to the Gap. :laughing0301:

1660224497072.png

When there are just no words to describe that level of political retardation.

R.d91889ae4cfc892326e6a4ccb13da462

Forum List

Back