This Is Not Your Independence Day

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The 4th of July might commemorate the independence of our country -- but it also serves as a bitter reminder that in 1776, the country that I love had no place for me in it.

When our founding fathers penned, "All men are created equal," they meant it. Not all people. Not all humans. Just all men -- the only reason they didn't feel obliged to specify "white" men is because, at the time, men of color were considered less than men, less than human.

The 4th is not my Independence Day -- and if you're a Caucasian woman, it isn't yours either. Our "independence" didn't come for another 143 years, with the passage of The Woman's Suffrage Amendment in 1919. The 4th of July is also not Independence Day for people of color. It wasn't until the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870 that all men had the right to vote regardless of race -- on paper, that is, not in practice. People of color were systematically, and all too successfully, disenfranchised for another century. July 4th of 1776 was certainly not a day of Independence or reverence for Native Americans. It wasn't until 1924 that Native Americans could unilaterally become citizens of the United States and have the voting rights to go with it.

Now, before anyone argues that Independence is about more than voting rights, I'd like to point out that our Founding Fathers would fundamentally disagree with you. The Revolutionary War was fought, in large part, because of "taxation without representation" -- the then English colonists believed they were not free because their voices were not represented. The right to vote, the right to have your say is the delineating characteristic of a democracy.

MORE: This Is Not Your Independence Day*|*Carina Kolodny

As the article makes clear - it was only Independence Day for WHITE men. WHITE men! Not for women. Not for blacks. Not for Native Americans. Not for anyone but WHITE men.

This Is Not Your Independence Day
The 4th of July might commemorate the independence of our country -- but it also serves as a bitter reminder that in 1776, the country that I love had no place for me in it.

When our founding fathers penned, "All men are created equal," they meant it. Not all people. Not all humans. Just all men -- the only reason they didn't feel obliged to specify "white" men is because, at the time, men of color were considered less than men, less than human. blah blah blah

Stfu!!!

Did she say anything that was factually incorrect?

I'm a he...

Are you sure? You better read this first...

hebear.jpg

As the article makes clear - it was only Independence Day for WHITE men. WHITE men! Not for women. Not for blacks. Not for Native Americans. Not for anyone but WHITE men.

Disagree.

Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight. They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress. As the Constitution endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom.

LAWRENCE V. TEXAS

The Framers correctly understood that it would not be possible to realize comprehensive liberty and freedom at the beginning of our Nation. Consequently they enshrined in the Constitution the principles of liberty and freedom so that “persons in every generation can invoke [those] principles in their own search for greater freedom,” including women, African-Americans, and Native Americans.

Indeed, as Americans became no longer blind to the evils of segregation, discrimination, and denying citizens their civil rights, the principles of liberty acknowledged and codified by the Constitution were finally afforded to women, African-Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and gay Americans – at last realizing the original intent of the Framers and the Founding Generation, where it is in fact Independence Day for all Americans.

Disagree.

Had those who drew and ratified the Due Process Clauses of the Fifth Amendment or the Fourteenth Amendment known the components of liberty in its manifold possibilities, they might have been more specific. They did not presume to have this insight. They knew times can blind us to certain truths and later generations can see that laws once thought necessary and proper in fact serve only to oppress. As the Constitution endures, persons in every generation can invoke its principles in their own search for greater freedom.

LAWRENCE V. TEXAS

The Framers correctly understood that it would not be possible to realize comprehensive liberty and freedom at the beginning of our Nation. Consequently they enshrined in the Constitution the principles of liberty and freedom so that “persons in every generation can invoke [those] principles in their own search for greater freedom,” including women, African-Americans, and Native Americans.

Indeed, as Americans became no longer blind to the evils of segregation, discrimination, and denying citizens their civil rights, the principles of liberty acknowledged and codified by the Constitution were finally afforded to women, African-Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and gay Americans – at last realizing the original intent of the Framers and the Founding Generation, where it is in fact Independence Day for all Americans.

Your points are well taken. However, it's clear that WHITE men got the jump on everyone else.

When our founding fathers penned, "All men are created equal," they meant it. Not all people. Not all humans. Just all men -- the only reason they didn't feel obliged to specify "white" men is because, at the time, men of color were considered less than men, less than human.

The 4th is not my Independence Day -- and if you're a Caucasian woman, it isn't yours either. Our "independence" didn't come for another 143 years, with the passage of The Woman's Suffrage Amendment in 1919. The 4th of July is also not Independence Day for people of color. It wasn't until the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870 that all men had the right to vote regardless of race -- on paper, that is, not in practice. People of color were systematically, and all too successfully, disenfranchised for another century. July 4th of 1776 was certainly not a day of Independence or reverence for Native Americans. It wasn't until 1924 that Native Americans could unilaterally become citizens of the United States and have the voting rights to go with it.

Now, before anyone argues that Independence is about more than voting rights, I'd like to point out that our Founding Fathers would fundamentally disagree with you. The Revolutionary War was fought, in large part, because of "taxation without representation" -- the then English colonists believed they were not free because their voices were not represented. The right to vote, the right to have your say is the delineating characteristic of a democracy.

We fixed that with the Civil Rights Act of 1964. You can stop whining fifty years ago.

• Thanks
Reactions: NLT

It's certainly not surprising that there would be no mention of women. A Women's place in the 18th century was that of a wife, mother, and housekeeper. Women were totally dependent on men for their survival. Most middle to upper class women received limited education and the poor usually received none. They enjoyed no employment opportunity except for work that revolved around the household, a stark contrast to women of the 21st century.

This is just another illustration of the huge changes that have taken place in the last 283 years which have made this a great nation. The founders did not create a great nation; those that followed them did.

Last edited:
Your points are well taken. However, it's clear that WHITE men got the jump on everyone else.

So, what you're saying is white men CAN jump.
At least those particular white men got things started so that you and everyone else get the same opportunity -- even more so -- now.
Or would you rather disregard that and just go back to when no one but royalty got a fair shake?
Get over it already.

Don't cheer too loudly for your "liberty" while the NSA is still violating your Constitutional rights as a matter of public policy.

The woman who wrote this piece and anyone who agrees with her can kiss my ass. You are whining bitches from hell to be complaining about what happened eons ago. Like a nasty ex wife continually bringing up the past.

American women should be proud of a country that has made right so many wrongs.

Other women are not as blessed as we are you idiotic fools. I've been fighting for women's rights in the ME for almost two decades now and western women make me want to bazooka barf every time they go on a rag fest about how badly they are treated.

Warning: when you go to this link there are very gruesome images. RAWA is an amazing organization and they bring the dark and evil deeds of radical Islamic men to the light for all the world to see.

Woman stoned to death in north Afghanistan
A boulder is then thrown at her head, her burka is soaked in blood, and she collapses inside the hole

By Quentin Sommerville

Read more: Woman stoned to death in north Afghanistan « RAWA News

sediqa_stoned_to_death.jpg

And a woman being executed by a more merciful means.

zarmina1.jpg

Last edited:
lovely isn't it

the two stooges are tearing up the board

what a nasty hateful article...typical leftie writing and just the hate you expect anyone

Last edited:

Forum List

Back