This Is Not Your Independence Day

The 4th of July might commemorate the independence of our country -- but it also serves as a bitter reminder that in 1776, the country that I love had no place for me in it.

When our founding fathers penned, "All men are created equal," they meant it. Not all people. Not all humans. Just all men -- the only reason they didn't feel obliged to specify "white" men is because, at the time, men of color were considered less than men, less than human.

The 4th is not my Independence Day -- and if you're a Caucasian woman, it isn't yours either. Our "independence" didn't come for another 143 years, with the passage of The Woman's Suffrage Amendment in 1919. The 4th of July is also not Independence Day for people of color. It wasn't until the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870 that all men had the right to vote regardless of race -- on paper, that is, not in practice. People of color were systematically, and all too successfully, disenfranchised for another century. July 4th of 1776 was certainly not a day of Independence or reverence for Native Americans. It wasn't until 1924 that Native Americans could unilaterally become citizens of the United States and have the voting rights to go with it.

Now, before anyone argues that Independence is about more than voting rights, I'd like to point out that our Founding Fathers would fundamentally disagree with you. The Revolutionary War was fought, in large part, because of "taxation without representation" -- the then English colonists believed they were not free because their voices were not represented. The right to vote, the right to have your say is the delineating characteristic of a democracy.

MORE: This Is Not Your Independence Day*|*Carina Kolodny

As the article makes clear - it was only Independence Day for WHITE men. WHITE men! Not for women. Not for blacks. Not for Native Americans. Not for anyone but WHITE men.

All men are created equal?

You are imparting meaning to people you never knew. A dicey extrapolation. The word 'humanity' includes pretty much everyone, even though the word 'man' is the base part of it. In contemporary society, the phrase works just fine to include everyone.

The history of humanity is a long story of injustice...which ought to have been expected, because we were all savages first.

We are still emerging from our heritage.

And America is the shining star to date. The greatest civilization thus far produced by mankind.

Liberals hate it because it is not perfect...and have somehow convinced themselves that an omnipotent Federal Government would bring perfection to them.

They will eventually know better, but they are apt to destroy the country during the learning process.

The 4th of July might commemorate the independence of our country -- but it also serves as a bitter reminder that in 1776, the country that I love had no place for me in it.

When our founding fathers penned, "All men are created equal," they meant it. Not all people. Not all humans. Just all men -- the only reason they didn't feel obliged to specify "white" men is because, at the time, men of color were considered less than men, less than human.

The 4th is not my Independence Day -- and if you're a Caucasian woman, it isn't yours either. Our "independence" didn't come for another 143 years, with the passage of The Woman's Suffrage Amendment in 1919. The 4th of July is also not Independence Day for people of color. It wasn't until the 15th Amendment was ratified in 1870 that all men had the right to vote regardless of race -- on paper, that is, not in practice. People of color were systematically, and all too successfully, disenfranchised for another century. July 4th of 1776 was certainly not a day of Independence or reverence for Native Americans. It wasn't until 1924 that Native Americans could unilaterally become citizens of the United States and have the voting rights to go with it.

Now, before anyone argues that Independence is about more than voting rights, I'd like to point out that our Founding Fathers would fundamentally disagree with you. The Revolutionary War was fought, in large part, because of "taxation without representation" -- the then English colonists believed they were not free because their voices were not represented. The right to vote, the right to have your say is the delineating characteristic of a democracy.

As the article makes clear - it was only Independence Day for WHITE men. WHITE men! Not for women. Not for blacks. Not for Native Americans. Not for anyone but WHITE men.

Attempting to evaluate past generations by todays standards demonstrates nothing but pure ignorance. A trait very apparent in the OP and the link.

Attempting to evaluate past generations by todays standards demonstrates nothing but pure ignorance. A trait very apparent in the OP and the link.
You get an A+ for that answer.

Go fuck yourself.

Did she say anything that was factually incorrect?

Yes. it's and opinion piece. And lakota being one of these angry liberal self loathing haters of all things not liberal or hypersensitive, took the bait and ran out a 500 yard spool of 50 lb test tri filament.
Lakota is so stupid so as to not realize that the writer of the piece did so just to fan the flames of hate.

Good. Get the fuck out then.

Don't cheer too loudly for your "liberty" while the NSA is still violating your Constitutional rights as a matter of public policy.

Oh stop your whining. Remember, you voted for the people that you allege are interested in your cell phone calls.

attention Mods. Please move this thread to badlands.
It was opened to inflame passions and start arguments resulting in rather caustic posts.
This subject matter is NOT in the realm of politics.

One liars opinion.

The attitudes 200 plus years ago were different shocking.

And Progressives fought to change those laws, they didn't just happen from the goodness of the white Christians heart

Who passed the 14th Amendment bigot? All old white men asshole not one black. They passed that crucial law to protect the freeman.

Who would have given women the right to vote bigot? All women? I don't think so you jerk.

Who passed the Civil Rights law bigot? All blacks? Nah.

Go pedal your bigotted tripe somewhere else.

These people need to understand....just like these stupid fucking Liberals need to understand....we will only take so much.

The Prez says "So sue me", ok...we will.

These stupid people of color on the border?

How much shit do you think we'll take from you before we react?

You stupid fucking Libs?

2010 was a precursor.

It was NO coincidence that it was the biggest BUTCH SLAP since 1938....when we;'re asleep it's just best you leave us that way.

You didn't and you aren't.

November is coming you stupid fucks and so are we.

Forum List

Back